Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rudy Projects w/ RX inserts?

austinkroe

And, you can buy a second set of Rx inserts with a "normal" correction so you can use your expensive Rudy's for other sports or daily wear. May end up cheaper than two pairs of prescription sunglasses.

That is part of the reason I went with Rudys 4-5 years ago. I know my prescription will get worse, and all I will need is new lenses. With my insurance, lense replacement is free once a year.

I used Rudy Rydons with the Rx insert for two seasons. Great quality frame and lens clarity is superb. I also found out the lenses don't like to be changed frequently, mine developed cracks in the corner where they engage the frame. Rudy's are an excellent product but they are definitely designed for people with small to normal faces and heads. I had to take my Rydon frame to the max of where temple width would open and they were still a bit tight for my melon.

The design of the Rx insert is second to none. After the insert clips into the frame it won't go anywhere and because it has screws to bite onto the Rx lens you can change lenses many times and it won't break, unlike the snap-on plastic Rx inserts. The Rydon + Rx puts the Rx lens too close to my eyes and my sexy eyelashes :blink: would rub and smudge the lens constantly.

After a whole year shooting with my polarized driving/fishing sunglasses (way too dark!) I finally acquired the shooting glasses that I have been avoiding for years just because they are fugly: The BOLLE VIGILANTE with Rx insert and a set of 4 different color lenses. Great deal for the $$ and they fit my face great. The came the following lens colors: clear, vermilion, brown and TNS Gun (kinda' like a mirror dark gray). Bolle also makes a smaller model of the same glasses THE PAROLE. The site linked has very good prices but I bought mine from my friends at Red Dot Shooting.

There, my $0.02. Good luck!

• 1 year later...
Heads up for those considering the Ruby Rydons. They are having a sale. $101.00 through their online store. They have 10, uh, make that 9 pair left.

who is they? RP?

www.e-rudy.com

send me a pm if you need more "helpfull"info

Jamie

I've been using and recommending Rudy Project glasses for almost ten years. Unfortunately, I can no longer do so.

I originally used a set of Rudy Project Rydons with the Rx insert. It worked well enough, but the Rx insert sits very close to my eyes, close enough that I could brush them with my eyelashes. This got annoying after a while.

So, I ordered a set of DirectRx Racing Red lenses. All seemed right with the world, except after about six months, the corners of the lenses cracked and broke off so that they would no longer stay in the frame. No problem, Rudy Projects' lens warranty is ironclad. So I took the lenses back to my optician, only to find that Rudy's ironclad warranty does not apply to prescription lenses, and that I'm out of pocket to replace a defective set of lenses.

A phone call to Rudy's customer service department yielded no satisfaction.

So, at this point, I'm shopping for a new set of shooting glasses. I can't recommend Rudy Project glasses except in plano, non-prescription format, and advisedly even then. I'm really not happy with the customer service that I got from Rudy.

- Chris

I use Rudy lens from four years ago. I use Rydon type with all the lens but i use the ImpactX lens type. This type of lens is really superior than the others for major safety and cleaner vision.

I use also the Rx insert and i dont have trouble with it, just needs some seconds more to fit the lens better.

Until today i dont get trouble from the lens.

this is my experience.

Edited by Josh Biondi

I've been using Rudy Kerosene Golfs with the Rx insert for about seven years with no problems. Like Nemo said, they aren't perfect for folks with large melons. I am an 8 hat size and my frames are at their width limit.

Regrettably, I don't believe Rudy makes the Kerosene Golf anymore.

I've been using Rudy Kerosene Golfs with the Rx insert for about seven years with no problems. Like Nemo said, they aren't perfect for folks with large melons. I am an 8 hat size and my frames are at their width limit.

Regrettably, I don't believe Rudy makes the Kerosene Golf anymore.

As far as lens material for the inserts, my eyes are -3/-3 with a touch of astygmatism. Should I go for the Polycarbonate, Aspheric Polycarbonate, or High Index material?

thanks,

atek3

Decot glasses, hands down!

www.decot.com

NO inserts SHOOTING glasses, colored any color you want, WITH your Rx.

I used to use Rudy, but these are much better...

jj

If you scratch your decots, do you have to purchase new RX glasses or will they make a new pair of lenses free? Just wondering?

dunno, it maybe on the website...or worth a call. I just know they are way more comfy than the Rudys I had. I hated having the inserts so close to my eyes. and for longgun shooting, espcially rifle, the center nose piece does not get in the way of your view. the Rudys were not so good in that respect.

I don't scratch mine anyway... :rolleyes:

jj