Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting too much?

My planning for this year includes the following shoots: Three level 3`s. Nine level 2`s and about 35 level one`s. This means that I will be shooting about every Saturday. Because of my work I do not get to spend much time practicing on the range but I try to dry-fire every day. We do not have a "after hour" indoor range in the city where I live(Port Elizabeth) and I work 5 days 07:00 to about 19:30 and Saturdays 07:00 to 13:00. In your opinion am I shooting too many competitions and do I need to skip a few smaller competitions and rather use the time to practice?

If you've got a good place to practice, I think you'll find that you can accomplish more/learn more about your shooting performance during practice sessions than at most of the L1 matches. If you need practice drills, pick up Saul Kirch's book Perfect Practice on Brian's site. Wealth of learning awaits you at practice.

Johann,

the answers will be largely dependent on your goals for 2008.

If your goal is to have fun, then you're robably going to get a LOT of it. :)

If your goal is to improve, then your schedule won't probably help.

Training (both dry and live fire jointly) is where you practice in areas where you feel you need improvement, where you experiment, where you ask questions to yourself and find answers.

None of this can be found in matches.

Usually, during a match there's too much going on, both on a physical and mental level, to be able to even notice things that might help you improving.

And, a match is the last place where you'd want to even think of experimenting with your shooting.

A match is where you gauge your skills against others, where you put all your hard (training) work at trial, where you simply aim to to shoot according to what you've been training yourself to.

Hope this helps.

BTW, given your work and shooting planned schedules, I'd like to take lessons from you on family management (especially on the topic of how to have the wife accepting it ...). :D

There's a lot to be said for pure experience, and you'll be getting a lot of it. Paying attention to the right shooters could make this one of the best learning opportunities ever.

Will it be an ideal schedule? Probably not, but no more damaging than my golf schedule every year that I played.

I would just like to echo what Skywalker said. If your primary interest is to improve your shooting most effitiently, going to alot of club matches won't really help that. But if your interests are to gain match experience and to meet some great people, then you are on the right track. And there is a balance as far as family time is concerned. It is one of the big topics in my household during the peak of the shooting season! ;)

Good luck in what ever you decide and hope to see you on the range! :cheers:

Edited by Rocket35

I hesitate to chime in because there are so many more experienced people on the forum. But here goes.

I think you can learn and improve by shooting matches.

In reality there is no such thing as a match. Only stages.

So go to the match. and shoot stages. Shoot each stage as smooth and with the minimum of mikes or penalties.

Pick someone quite a bit better than you and compare your times to his. Then watch how you progress.

Talk to people, but be careful who you take advice from.

After each day of shooting stages, just for fun see how you finished.

You knew you weren't going to win anyway so the higher up the rankings you go the better you feel.

When you are good enough that you might win the match, still just shoot stages and forget about the match until it is over.

Don't shoot to win. Shoot to be as good as you can be and you may just win.

al

Youw will know when you hit burn-out. Just listen to yourself when you reach it and take some time away from shooting. A couple of weeks should do it.

Personally, I would shoot a match every weekend if I could. Stage break-down and planning is just as important in IPSC as accuracy. Your movements through a course of fire are where your time is exxentially saved. Without those skills, you will constantly be giving time up to your competition.

I echo the thoughts of one of the previous posts in that I do not have the experience that alot of the guys on here have, but you may want to alternate the club matches with practice sessions.

One weekend shoot a match (HAVE YOURSELF FILMED) if at all possible. Analyze the film and work on what needs improving during the next 2 weeks and put that to work on your next match. Alternate.

There is a need for both. I need more of both :rolleyes:

Just use one of those local club matches as a practice match. Try something different, use a new approach. Not everyone does have the luxury to practice and a local match can fit that bill nicely.

Do what YOU like, like what you do.

I`m very lucky that my wife understands my need to shoot. In her words: "I know where you are". My daughter shoots with me most Saturdays so at least there is some family time there. Sundays I spend with my family, always(except when I `m away shooting a Level 2 or 3.

The best shooter in my club also happens to be the National Champ. Alex has absolutely no problem in working with us lower lifeforms and would change detail at Level 1`s to help a new guy or even an old hand with a particular problem. After a Level one you will mostly find one of the top guys helping shooters.

Our Level 1`s are all at least 100 rounds and are all set to a very high standard.

Burn out: well the last shoot was the 16th December and since the weekend of the 23rd I`ve been having withdrawal symptoms. I almost cried when I was told that we did not start shooting on the 5th. Tomorrow we start the year with a Level 2 that is also a qualifier for our Level3 (Nationals) in March!

Just heard from the gunsmith that my Parra will not be ready for tomorrow(Trigger packed up) and now I will shoot my second best gun. Luckily there is no pressure, its just the first shoot of the year, the first of three chances to qualify for my Provincial colors(best two count) and also a Level 2. As I said no pressure!

My planning for this year includes the following shoots: Three level 3`s. Nine level 2`s and about 35 level one`s. This means that I will be shooting about every Saturday. Because of my work I do not get to spend much time practicing on the range but I try to dry-fire every day. We do not have a "after hour" indoor range in the city where I live(Port Elizabeth) and I work 5 days 07:00 to about 19:30 and Saturdays 07:00 to 13:00. In your opinion am I shooting too many competitions and do I need to skip a few smaller competitions and rather use the time to practice?

When will you have time reload ammo? :surprise:

For me it would be too much. It would not leave time to work on problem areas or weaknesses observed from previous match. When you are shooting good, keep shooting. When you start failing to shoot well, STOP. Regroup, figure out what mistakes were being made. Cure the problem, then start shooting again, until probelms are cured, then repeat.

This way when shooting good, you are getting positive feedback and honing that which is working as intended. You want to keep doing this. But, when you start NOT shooting good, if you continue, then you may be honing the mistakes and getting better at making that mistake. Put another way, if you continue to do what you have always done, you will continue to get what you always got.

A bit goofy, but I don't like to refer to practice as practice. I either do a specific drill, or segment so that I can break down the task, so as to try to master a simple portion of the task, Then add another task and so on. When it is time to put it together, I REHEARSE for the show as I want it to be. To me thinking rehearsal suggests that I know exactly what I am supposed to do, now just do it exactly like that.

Be safe, have fun.

Martin :cheers:

I've heard and read over and over that one of the most important things to learn in this sport are the essential or fundamental skills. Most good shooters say they don't practice stages, they practice drills to hone their basic skill set.

This seems like it would be difficult to do in match situations. Dry fire is important, but how do you dryfire a Bill Drill? It seems to me there are just so many things that require us learning the timing of our gun that live fire practice alone can give us.

Of course, as said above, alot depends on your own goals.

• 5 months later...

I have been out of shooting for few years because of severe chronic health problems. Having said that, when i was shooting regularly I would shoot every Tuesday night paper and steel at Rio Salado, every Thursday night paper and steel at the Cactus Combat Match League and then one or two USPSA matches each weekend. I also practiced 1 or 2 days each week. Given the quality of competition at Rio Salado I think I got a true evaluation of how I was doing and I was privileged to watch many Master and Grand Master shooters, including TGO. When I did go to a larger match away from home I was not nervous since I regularly shot against some of the worlds best.

I was shooting about 25k rds a year in matches.

After stuffing up the first two Nationals I am hungrier than ever before. I dry-fire twice a week for at least an hour and is working on draws and mag changes as I feel there is a lot of time for me to find there. I also work on leaving on the last shot and to be ready when I arrive at the next "station". The "super squad" lets me shoot with them as they video every shooter in the detail and then let me have a copy of the DVD that they make of the shoot. One of the top shooters then goes over my mistakes with me, giving me advice on how to fix them.

What I do realize is that I need to get to the range and do some "Bill drills" as my splits are holding me back.

It is still difficult for me to sleep on Friday nights, even before a Level 1.

• 3 weeks later...

I record all my matches! I play back at home on the big T.V. and compare to the DVD's Explanation of what to do and not to do. Tod Jarret is only 3 gun DVD i have and it helps. Good Luck to all and kill all Zombies with head shots!!

When it starts to feel like you are going to work, or you are going to matches just because they are haveing them, its time to do something for a change. Then when you want to go again, go---------Larry

That was it for me.....so I've starting learning to play golf. Nice break, and I still shoot a couple times a month too.

-Mike

You'll know when you let your dogs out, an you can't find them because of the tall grass.

True story. <_<

Seriously,

If it feels like work and you're not having fun, just back off at little; avoid complete burnout. I've been shooting some form of pistol competitions for 19 years and it's happened to me twice. Now I'm happy as I've found a good balance. :cheers:

I shoot USPSA Production, ICORE Limited Revolver and steel matches with both rigs. When I don't want to go, I just stay at home and relax. That's the hardest thing in the shooting sports to learn.

Good shooting.

Edited by BlackSabbath