Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI tubes

Kingman

ok, so got an SVI tube a couple weeks ago, had a chance to test it and well it feeds like a champ(if I hold it in place). The only problem is that the mag catch does not quite catch all the way.

So the question is has anyone had this problem before?

I am thinking the fix is to remove some metal from the top of the opening of the mag catch, or should it be the bottom?

ok, so got an SVI tube a couple weeks ago, had a chance to test it and well it feeds like a champ(if I hold it in place). The only problem is that the mag catch does not quite catch all the way.

So the question is has anyone had this problem before?

I am thinking the fix is to remove some metal from the top of the opening of the mag catch, or should it be the bottom?

Before you start cutting anything, pull the mag catch out of the gun and insert a "good" magazine. Look through the hole in the grip and note how high the notch sits. Then insert the "bad" magazine and see if the notch is at the same place or possibly lower.

Bill

STI mag catch, Bob?

I think JP (SV guy) sells a mag catch that is different ?

+100

I have seen some STI mag catches that do not have much engagement. Change to an SVI item and all should be good. It will work better with STI tubes too.

Are STI and SV catches physically different designs or is there just a tolerance issue on the STIs? I am just curious since I have used lots of SV tubes interchangeably with both SV and STI catches without any indication of a problem.

Edited by ipscbob

Depends on the vintage and the caliber Bob, there were some differences in the mag catches and basically it boils down to 38 and 40 being the same and 45 being slightly different on older SV product and then you have all the other variations possible with manufacturing tolerances and so on. As far as I know both STI and SVI are both using the same mag release height in both the mags and the mag catches. Mags are interchangeable now for all practical purposes, there could be a problem here and there but it is rare.

In my experience, STI and SV mag catch are not identical.

SV are thinner in the catch area, which led sometimes to dropping STI mags in SV pistols.

First, I've put STI mags in SVs to allow the use of both SV and STI mags. But the STI mags made the mag sits a little lower than the SV.

So I finally modified SV mag catch, and it worked 100% on three of four SV pistols. The last one kept its STI catch.

How old is your mag catch Kingman ?

ahh, well the problem persists.

I have 6 SVI mag tubes here, 2 work, the rest don't They won't allow the mag catch completely into the locked position. 1 seizes up in the gun completely. The ones that don't work go up high enough to hit my ejector. My STI tubes did not do that.

I had a couple of tubes that i had to open up the upper part of the port on the magazine. A little filing on the front opening as well did the trick.

You aren't having any interference with the basepad and magwell are you?

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue, i just got some SV tubes and the 140 works fine but the 170 tube i got is really hard to seat. when i take the release out the notch in the tube is not centered, only the top of it is viewable, do i need to take some off of the top of the notch? i am nervous about doing this and dont want to mess a $100 tube up.

Thanks

I am having the same issue, i just got some SV tubes and the 140 works fine but the 170 tube i got is really hard to seat. when i take the release out the notch in the tube is not centered, only the top of it is viewable, do i need to take some off of the top of the notch? i am nervous about doing this and dont want to mess a $100 tube up.

Thanks

I had the same issue with a new 170 SV tube in my Bedell shorty. If you remove some material from the top of the notch (and maybe a bit from the front) you'll be fine. Take it slow and remove a little at a time and you'll feel it when it's right.

There has been an issue with some of the recent production tubes. If it is a VERY minor press to get it to seat empty you can take a touch off the catch like Bart did. If it takes more than a very minor press the top taper section of the mag will need to be adjusted. Basically the top taper section is too wide and is hitting the frame, if you push hard and it seats you are actually pressing the top section in a little by squeezing it in the frame.

If it takes more than a very minor press the top taper section of the mag will need to be adjusted.

Any tips on a way to do that? I've "marked" a tube with Black and I can see where it's rubbing. I just did not want to go "banging" away on a $100 tube.

Thanks,

Carl

Carl, unless you have forming tools and abilities you will have to use a percussive repair technique. I understand your hesitation in doing so. Be aware that as you move the tube in one direction it will probably move in other directions as well, go slow, pay attention and check it often.

Take a close look at the photograph and read through what I've done. The procedure has worked for me on all the tubes (15) I've bought in the past 2 years and several that belong to friends. As Howard says, the earlier tubes generally work without modification. When you file, take LESS than you think you need and fit slowly - or send them to Howard and get them done right.

As you can see, I lengthened the mag catch hole horizontally just enough to allow the mag catch to seat all the way. I generally don't move the hole vertically (only had to do that once). Aside from the fact that SVI .38 Super tubes will run 9mm without a spacer, they also sit a fraction higher in the frame.

Take the slide off and insert the empty tube into the frame - you should be able to see the mag catch and where it interfears with the the hole even with a C-More mounted. Remove metal from the front (as indicated) until it just locks into the frame - then remove a fraction more. Polish the edges. You could do it all with a Dremel but I prefer to work with a file. I have a small rat tail that mics about 5/64" that I use.

Edited for typo

post-3688-1203630534.jpg

Edited by Scout454

Take a close look at the photograph and read through what I've done. The procedure has worked for me on all the tubes (15) I've bought in the past 2 years and several that belong to friends. As Howard says, the earlier tubes generally work without modification. When you file, take LESS than you think you need and fit slowly - or send them to Howard and get them done right.

As you can see, I lengthened the mag catch hole horizontally just enough to allow the mag catch to seat all the way. I generally don't move the hole vertically (only had to do that once). Aside from the fact that SVI .38 Super tubes will run 9mm without a spacer, they also sit a fraction higher in the frame.

Take the slide off and insert the empty tube into the frame - you should be able to see the mag catch and where it interfears with the the hole even with a C-More mounted. Remove metal from the front (as indicated) until it just locks into the frame - then remove a fraction more. Polish the edges. You could do it all with a Dremel but I prefer to work with a file. I have a small rat tail that mics about 5/64" that I use.

Edited for typo

Buddy of mine just bought four of these with a similar problem. The catch had to be opened vertically instead of horizontally. The magazines would not even catch in four different guns. He relieved the top of the catch opening and got them to seat. I'm not sure if he has tested them yet or not.