Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI tubes

Kingman

Jostein

Any "effect" will be negligible. I've had no feeding problems do to height with either magazine and I use them in 9mm, 38 Super, 40 and 45. If anything, the SVI tubes may feed a little better. All of my 38 Super tubes will run mixed 38 Super, Super Comp and Lapua without any feeding problems.

Edit: fat fingers

Edited by Scout454

Carl, unless you have forming tools and abilities you will have to use a percussive repair technique. I understand your hesitation in doing so. Be aware that as you move the tube in one direction it will probably move in other directions as well, go slow, pay attention and check it often.

I did find it easier to just send it to you after finding out that the SV tubes where fatter than the STI tubes as it tapers off on top of the mag release hole. As I push the SV tube in, I can see that the mag tube hole does not come up far enough to for the mag release button to hold. I can also see that when you force the SV tubes in, the top of the grip expands just below the frame. So I concluded that the SV mag tubes were fatter as it tapers off on top of the tube hole and had no experience deforming the tubes.

Howard, I noticed that that newer SV mag tubes seems to be thicker than the older ones. Is that a correct observation? Did SV change the thickness? Because I have heard complaints about the SV tubes cracking from some of my friends.

Carl, unless you have forming tools and abilities you will have to use a percussive repair technique. I understand your hesitation in doing so. Be aware that as you move the tube in one direction it will probably move in other directions as well, go slow, pay attention and check it often.
Howard, I noticed that that newer SV mag tubes seems to be thicker than the older ones. Is that a correct observation? Did SV change the thickness? Because I have heard complaints about the SV tubes cracking from some of my friends.

Thanks guys..

I Spoke to SVI yesterday, and asked if they had heard of these problems. They had not. HOWEVER they did acknowledge that the metal was thicker than previously used, and that the plastic Grips themselves vary greatly. The very reason that are going to an aluminum grip.

They did suggest "tweaking" the mag in a vice. As HSMITH pointed out, I am somewhat reluctant to try that..

I had a thought to try what I have done before on Glocks. Wrap the mags in a sheet of paper, heat the inside of the grip with a hair dryer, to get them warm (not HOT). and insert the mag, let everything cool.

Has anyone else tried this trick and did it work for you? I see perils there as well :(

The material thickness has a VERY VERY small effect. The material change isn't the cause of what you guys are seeing. The mag is too wide in the taper at the top and the straight section above the taper. Study it and you will see it. The taper and area above need to be moved if the mag is hard to seat or won't seat. If the pressure needed to seat it is VERY minor you can move the mag catch up a tiny bit, .020" TOPS and work around it but before doing that I would want to be absolutely positive that is the right direction to go. Moving the catch location changes the way the ammo is presented to the slide and ramp, too much change and you will need to get professional help best case and replacement of the tube is possible.

Get a marker and color the whole top half of the mag. Carefully press it in and seat it, drop it and repeat a couple times. The marks will plainly tell the story. If it is just the straight section of the mag above the taper it is easily fixed with a vise as SV suggested, if the taper section is part of the problem as well the fix gets more complicated. Also bear in mind that as you move any part of the magazine the material you moved WILL go somewhere. You will need to keep a close eye on what the tube is doing as you adjust it.

Heating the grip isn't going to help, the problem isn't in the grip.

I have put a bunch of SV mags out. I haven't had any crack that I know of and frankly I am not worried about it at all. SV is a fantastic company to work with and if it was a material defect they will stand behind it, if it was something I did I will take the same stance.

I don't want to scare anyone out of doing this themselves. Just be sure you know what the problem actually is so that the repair is appropriate and that you can actually fix it if you attempt it. If you aren't comfortable fixing it there are quite a few good gunsmiths and mag tuning services you can use to get through this. The tubes are expensive enough that I think it warrants caution in how the problem is addressed.

Hope this helps clear up some of the confusion.