Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ipod recommendations

I am looking for some suggestions for a hd based music player. I bought myself an Ipod for Christmas directly from Apple and will never make that mistake again. I opted for priority overnight shipping and it took 4 days to get here. When I called each day to find out where it was, the common response was it wasn't Apple's problem, call Fedex, who when called said it was Apples fault. Regardless, the first problem was Apple doesn't give you any choice when it comes to shipping, it has to go Fedex. Then I am told they can't ship to a PO box. If they gave you options and your choice of carrier had a problem, thats one thing, but when you don't get a choice that seems to put the onus on them. So now I have to have it sent to a friends house. Next, the downloaded software took over my computer and made all the other music playing software crash as soon as it opened. Then I finally got the ipod to download music but when I tried to play it the ipod showed there was 7.5 gigs of space used but no songs showed up in any menu. Now when I returned it to them, they sent me an email saying they got everything and only credited my card with half the money. Whew. Anyway, can everyone share there advice and experiences with what they have owned. Thanks

I have a 160GB Ipod. I have some intermittent problems getting it to connect through the USB port on both of my PCs at times. Been through 2 so far and both have the same problem. Looks like Apple has issues with their USB interface driver to me and their tech support has been worthless. Next time I won't buy an Ipod. Its not worth the trouble.

3rd Gen 4gb iPod Nano. Should have gotten the 8gb model.

I use mine as a Tivo for radio. Between five NPR programs, three NASA podcasts, two shooting podcasts, and a skydive podcast mine stays full all the time.

No issues with iTunes. QuickTime did try to become the default media player but a few mouse clicks restored the defaults. Not a big issue.

My wife got a Nano for Christmas and I got a shuffle. I have a 20 mb iPod(hand-me-down from my son) and He has a 160 iPod. Once we upgraded to the latest iTunes software, we have had no problems with it recognizing each device.

There are few quirks that you learn to deal with but overall everyone at our house is happy with their device.

I did have issues with Quicktime but as Hank said, a few clicks of the mouse and all was well again.

FWIW

dj

I tried to avoid the whole I-tunes thing by going w/ a Zen Vision from Creative. Horrible Horrible experience.

Decided to drink the kool-aid and bought myself an I-Pod Classic 80GB from the Apple online store early last year and have absolutely loved it. It showed up in less than a week and came complete w/ my free custom engraving on the back (promo they were offering at the time). Sleek, elegant, seems fairly robust, and hasn't given me the first problem playing anything from movies, CD's I already owned and ripped, random mp3's I downloaded, audiobooks I purchased through Audible, etc.

Sorry your experience hasn't been as pleasant but for me it works like a champ.

I would have just bought the iPod directly from a local store. I've had 2 of them. My current one is a 60g and it's half full. Half of that is video, the other half is music, some purchased from the iTunes Store, the rest loaded in from my collection of CD's, using nothing more than iTunes on Windows. Works great. Would definitely buy another. Especially if they come up with a iTouch with a decent amount of storage. (16g for me is just not enough; they need a drive-based device.)

My current one is a 60g and it's half full. Half of that is video, the other half is music, some purchased from the iTunes Store, the rest loaded in from my collection of CD's, using nothing more than iTunes on Windows. Works great.

+1 on all of the above. 60Gb video iPod, about half full, iTunes on Windows, no problems. Like it a lot better than the Zune (much to my employer's displeasure...)

Note that one of the things that is great about iTunes is that you can *easily* sync different subsets of the library onto different iPods. the 60Gb gets everything, the 2nd-gen nano gets workout tunes, the shuffle in the shooting bag gets "get your blood pumping" tunes, etc.

Would definitely buy another. Especially if they come up with a iTouch with a decent amount of storage. (16g for me is just not enough; they need a drive-based device.)

Yeah, well, I couldn't resist. Added a 16Gb "touch" to the stable a couple of months ago. Love it. More space would be good, but it is more than enough to hold a few new movies and a bunch of favorite songs for the next airplane ride.

B

iPod is great if you are looking to buy songs online...

If you're tired of their DRM crap, Amazon's MP3 downloads catalog is growing exponentially.

I'm completely off of iTunes now, unless, in sheer and utter desperation, it's the only place I can find a particular tune...

Thanks for all the replies. I finally got everything taken care of with getting a refund. I do really want to have a player and I think an Ipod is the way to go. There are just so many things made for it and if you do have a problem so many people have them you can easily ask for help. I agree with wgnoyes, if I do it again I would get one in a local store. One new question, has anyone tried using Winamp to control their Ipod? It is capable and I like that interface better than Itunes but if it doesn't work, it doesn't matter how pretty it is. Thanks

Adam

...has anyone tried using Winamp to control their Ipod?...

You might want to have a look at Anapod Explorer as an alternative - fixes a lot of the (what IMHO are crappy) "features" of iTunes...

Thanks, I will look into this program. I have had no luck, nor love lost with Itunes and would like to stay as far away as possible.

Adam