Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Z's local match surprise chrono thread got me thinking about this...

at every match that i have been to (that had a chrono stage) the competitor brought a preloaded mag of ammo to be test fired. i am assuming the chrono stage is to keep everyone honest about thier declared PF. that being said, what keeps a dishonest person from making 7 rounds of "special chrono ammo"?

at my first match i was very surpised by this. i was expecting that the procedure would have been something more like...every competitor brings a sample of thier match ammo...like 200 rounds or so. then one of the chrono guys would pick 7 rounds out at random to be tested.

am i missing something?

any thoughts on why they dont do the later?

You are right on. At most USPSA majors they collect the rounds at the first stage... and then you have them "tested" later in the day.

I have watched shooters at national level matches dig out their "chrono stash" at the first stage. At the Single Stack Classic.. I watched a guy run to the safe area to swap out his recoil spring before the chrono stage. When I asked him what he was doing he said that his "chrono" loads would bust his frame if he didn't get in a different spring. Yikes!!!

Cheaters tend to cheat.... that's the way it is.

The best way would be..... to take from shooters on a random basis just as they are going to LAMR for a stage.. But that is a huge problem for the match staff.... and the USPSA rules are very clear about the chrono rules.

The problem is that in the real world they don't catch cheaters :angry:

I have been to GA State & Area 6 matches where they come up to you and ask for one of your mags that is on your belt and ask you to take 7 rds from it and put in the baggie or just ask for for the ammo from your bag. It is suppossed to be on a honor system that you are giving a sample of your regular match ammo. Yes, people have done the "special chrono ammo" before and sometimes someone on their squad will bring it to the proper attention. Those people are the one's that usually don't last long in the sport, after they are found out to be a cheater and lie about things.

This has been my experience and may differ to other shooters out there.

I have been to GA State & Area 6 matches where they come up to you and ask for one of your mags that is on your belt and ask you to take 7 rds from it and put in the baggie or just ask for for the ammo from your bag.

thats soudns like a great idea! especially if they got it from you right after you holster when completing a stage or when on deck. i just dont see why that cannot be an official method of chrono ammo collection.

Yes, people have done the "special chrono ammo" before and sometimes someone on their squad will bring it to the proper attention. Those people are the one's that usually don't last long in the sport, after they are found out to be a cheater and lie about things.

This has been my experience and may differ to other shooters out there.

My experience also. Cheaters don't last long around here.

Long ago we had a charity match with a special feature "Pay $5 to have somebody else chronoed". It was a riot. One shooter suspected of lightening his loads wailed "I'll be at the chrono all day!"

Then the MD would just roll up to the competitor and say "gimme 8 rounds"

Long ago we had a charity match with a special feature "Pay $5 to have somebody else chronoed". It was a riot. One shooter suspected of lightening his loads wailed "I'll be at the chrono all day!"

Then the MD would just roll up to the competitor and say "gimme 8 rounds"

:lol::goof: Funny stuff...

I've seen it done several ways. The one I liked the best was at an Area 1 match ages ago. Our squad showed up at a stage and before anything else happened a guy walked up to each person with a baggie in his hand and said "gimme 8 rounds from that mag right there." You'd hand them the ammo and they'd put your name/competitor number on it and go to the next person. It was done randomly so you didn't know when it was coming. I didn't care as my ammo ran something like 182-183 (under the old PF) but I'm sure some cheater was thinking of a way to work around it (like have chrono mags that you keep on your belt until you're on deck, or something else silly. R,

Yep, without random selection you will get some cheaters.

The rules also say that match officials may at any time pull additional rounds and have you rechrono. When I run a chrono at a match I some times pull a mag off a belt and use them instead.

MDA

TN state match had you holster hot after stage and walk right over to the chrono.

At the first LA State IDPA match, the chrono was set up at one of the stages. You would shoot the stage, safe the gun and hand it to the chrono guy. Harder to cheat in that situation, but not impossible. Shooting Blazer from a Beretta 92, it only took me two rounds to pass. ;)

At the Single Stack Classic.. I watched a guy run to the safe area to swap out his recoil spring before the chrono stage. When I asked him what he was doing he said that his "chrono" loads would bust his frame if he didn't get in a different spring. Yikes!!!

Integrity is a BIG part of this game. If someone would have told me something like this, I would relay the info to the nearest RM... Don't care if it would be considered taddling or not. People like this don't belong in our sport.

Edited by Zerwas

The only problem I have with the idea of LAMR, then turn over ammo is that I now have a short mag on my belt and a hot gun which makes it hard to refill the mag. For an Open shooter not a big deal since the mag in the gun is all thats needed, but rough on a Prod or L10 shooter who needs them all.

Personally, I usually dump rounds from my barney mag for the chrono. No particular ammo, just thats one magazine that I don't care if it has X number of rounds. If I have to go to the Barney on a stage, I am pretty brewed up regardless of how many rounds it has.

I have heard stories of matches where a stage was built with some type of confined port, like a small barrel, with the chrono set at the end of it. When you finished the stage, the RO ripped off the Chrono printout and you took it to the Chrono table with you for calculation.

But as many have pointed out, cheaters tend to get caught or embarrassed into acting right. I think more people are likely to have "Chrono" ammo which is a touch hotter when they don't have a chrono and are worried, then though their match ammo is major to start with as opposed to actual cheaters.

Cheaters will cheat and do.

I like the idea of when giving the walkthrough, take take the bullets from their belt. Don't let them go back to their bag to "get the sticker" Maybe already have it on the bags?

I have shot majors where a couple guys walk around with a chrono and as a shooter finishes a stage, load him back up with the finishing mag and chrono. Hard to do unless you got lots of help and new rules prevent it.

Edited by BSeevers

TN state match had you holster hot after stage and walk right over to the chrono.

That actually worked pretty well, they did it in conjunction with a short static stage. The only drawback was the shooter declared bullet weight.