Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sound Of The Ups Truck

Patrick Sweeney

I work at home (when I'm not on the range testing something. Yes, it's a dirty job, but someone has to do it) so I can hear the UPS truck driving through the neighborhood. When I hear him pull up front, I practically start drooling.

And if the doorbell rings at 9:30AM, I know it is overnight FedEx truck. For some reason, that truck is quieter than the big brown one.

Patrick,

You are so right! There are few things in life as sweet as the sound of the UPS/FedEx truck pulling up and stopping! Conversely, few things leave that hollow in the pit of the stomach feeling as watching it roll by and it not even slow down… especially when you JUST KNOW they SHOULD have your stuff! AARRRRGGHHHH! :(

Ed

I share a long driveway with one other house, so when the UPS man cometh, I have a good chance of being a winner. In fact, since I always have stuff coming, and my neighbor almost never has anything coming, my odds are probably 90/10. Well, I can't remember what I ordered but it was something that I needed (well, 'wanted') for the weekend. It should have shown up on Thursday, but did not. The only good thing was that I KNEW it would be there on Friday.

I blasted out of work early afternoon to hang around and wait for Mr UPS. Soon after I got home, I heard him coming down the drive :wub: so I opened the front door and was waiting with open arms, but NO UPS MAN!! :( What? He went to the neighbors house... this just couldn't be!! I figured there must be a package for BOTH of us, but he got back in the truck and took off. I was soooo disappointed I could not believe it!! :unsure:

About 9:00 PM that night, there was a knock on my front door (not a very common event). Anyway, I tentatively opened the door and there was my neighbor standing there with a box and said, "hey, the UPS man dropped this off at my house by accident!!" Sure enough, that was my box, and boy do I ever remember that!! :D

Yesterday I got some .45ACP ammo (so I can shoot this weekend!) and today it was my spiffy new Blade-Tech holster for a Browning BDM.

Thanks to the dude in brown, I'll be able to shoot in Production Division at our classifier match this month without giving myself a wedgie on the draw. ;)

BDH--

What a great story!! Straight from the shooter's heart!! :):)

Run n Gun--

Been there; felt that. (especially while waiting for my PACT timer...) :(

The Great Brown Ones can be as noisy as they like.

As long as they bring something!! ;)

The UPS delivery at my house is usually late in the evening (6:30-7:00) and we're usually eating dinner. We won't interrupt dinner to answer the phone, but when we hear the UPS truck we have to stop to go see what he brought. This usually involves the small chilldren (4 and 5) dancing to the front door yelling "the UPS guy, the UPS guy...".

Although the delivery driver finds this reception amusing, he does joke about the weight of the items I often have delivered (bullets, brass, machine tools and parts). I told him I subscribe to the "large heavy object of the month club".

A couple of weeks ago he delivered the trophies for the Texas State 3-Gun match - 10 boxes each about 1.5x2x2.5'. When he got all the boxes on the porch he said he was sure glad those weren't all bullets!

Cheers,

Sig Lady,

Pact Timer, the MKIV with sky screens bar and case that I ordered 16 days 9 hours and 2 minutes ago, is EXACTLY what I'm waiting for!!!

I ordered it first and then ordered a bunch of other stuff from various sources, all of THAT stuff has been here for DAYS.

I know I should be more patient, I know I should act grown up, but I can't and I won't I WON'T I WON'T I WON'T and you can't make me!

I'm telling Mom...

Ed

Hubby gets the boxes for the shooting habit. I get boxes for my other hobby/habit of jewelrymaking. All those little boxes are pretty cool when they contain stuff to make something for a customer so I can buy more gun stuff... :D One hobby must feed the other...

Liota

Last Holloween I was anxiously awaiting my new RL550 from Dillon. The UPS truck showed up and I was waiting at the door for him. When he got off the truck he had a pretty small box. I said "Where is the big box?" He said that's it and just left me standing there with a little box of Dies and stuff :( . Later that night he showed up again with the big box but I made him say "trick or treat" before I'd open the door, told him I liked his costume though, gave a candy bar for the road. Love the Brown truck.

Chris

RnG--

The Timer was (just) a PACT Club Timer II--which meant a small box--but the UPS thrill was no less for its size!.... :lol:

Have fun with the Mark IV...! It's what we use at the indoor range.

I get a box now and then from big brown and my wife, who has the first nickel she ever erned (really a terrific trait in a spouse) :D , seems to be size sensitive. If it is a big box full of $1.50 ammo boxes I will have some explaining to do. If it is a small box with a new $250 barrel I am usually fine. The worst case was the Dillon 650 sitting at my door after we came back from vacation. Da** thing was in a box the size of a coffin it looked like I might need it for just that use for a while.

A technique which I make use of now and then is the "decoy" technique. I order something for the wife at the same time I order something for me. Don't have to be from the same company but you then usually have to upgrade shipping to have a chance of them arriving at the same time. :ph34r:

When we get home and there are a pile of boxes on the porch I just hand her the one from LL Bean or Lands End or whatever and off she goes happy as can be while I haul the other boxes out to the shop. :rolleyes:

She also learned a long time ago that just because the box is small does not mean it is light...as in boxes full of lead. Now she just leaves most all boxes on the porch for me. :)

Conversely, few things leave that hollow in the pit of the stomach feeling as watching it roll by and it not even slow down… especially when you JUST KNOW they SHOULD have your stuff! AARRRRGGHHHH!  :( 

I get my deliveries at work, and I HATE it when Brown pulls up, starts unloading boxes and what I'm waiting for isn't there!!!!!!!!! (Next Day don't mean THREE DAYS, Folks!!!!!!!!!!!)

Run n Gun--

...Oh, YOU had that problem, TOO...!?

I got the impression that the instructions that came with my Club Timer were translated into English from Japanese BY the Japanese (does anyone recall the early Honda motorcylce manuals??!!) :D

SiG Lady,

This one came with a sixteen page book that after the third reading is actually making sense to me.

Of course it HAS TO come the day after I take my blaster in to the ye olde gunsmithy so I can’t go to the range and play!

I guess I’ll just have to be content with scaring my wife and the cat with the occasional, unannounced, BEEEEEP!

Hmmm… I wonder what my “splits” are with my Single Action Army .45 Long Colt? ;)

Ed