Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ar barrels

wcmesa

Im looking to build a 20" ar for some 3gun/multigun matches. Do any of you have any experiance with the er shaw barrels or would i be better off with a dpms barrel? I have built a few ar15s in the past but have used wilson barrels. The ranges we shoot at wont be more than 300yds thanks

Just put a DPMS 20" in a friends gun. He came back in and said he wanted his money back as he could not get below .25" groups with it. Yes, he was grinning when he said it

Which DPMS 20" barrel?

20" LIGHTWEIGHT FLUTED. A standard barrel. We just bought several and Benny, myself and a couple of friends put them on our game guns. My buddy Richard Shirley (an accomplished benchrest shooter) put one of them on his gun with a 24x scope and shot the group during the break in. As I use a Meopta with a K Dot I have no idea how well mine CAN shoot but I do know it is of sufficient accuracy for my needs..... :cheers:

I hate it when that happens. I am leaning towards the dpms. does anyone know of a smith that can spec a upper for me ? I have a colt 6724 that the barrel seems to be "off" in the receiver.

Benny Hill, Triangle Shooting Sports. 361-241-1091. Call him after the 1st.---------------Larry

Just put a DPMS 20" in a friends gun. He came back in and said he wanted his money back as he could not get below .25" groups with it. Yes, he was grinning when he said it

That group was shot with LC once fired brass, AA2230c(about .5 below max) WSRP and a 69 gr SMK. Good load for that 1x8.--------------Larry

I have both, problem is I have only shot one of them. I have a Shaw 8 twist in an M4 profile, NM sights front and rear, and it shoots. I can shoot groups right at or just over one MOA with it out to 200 yards from bags, and for me on the trigger with iron sights that is pretty darn decent. It seems to like 52-69 grain match bullets and top end charges of Varget, groups seem to stay right around MOA as long as the charge weight stays up near the top. It doesn't shoot soft loads as well, but even top loads of Varget aren't all that fast. I tried some gullets over 70 grains and groups started to open up, so I quit with them. Hornady 68's seem to be tops, along with Sierra 55 grain GameKings....

My new one has a DPMS M12 18" heavy barrel, fully fluted so it feels a LOT like an M4 but with a full rifle gas system. I haven't shot it yet, but I would be SHOCKED if it wasn't sub-MOA with a decent load. Trying to scratch up a scope so I can break in the barrel and give it a run now.

Which DPMS 20" barrel?

20" LIGHTWEIGHT FLUTED. A standard barrel. We just bought several and Benny, myself and a couple of friends put them on our game guns. My buddy Richard Shirley (an accomplished benchrest shooter) put one of them on his gun with a 24x scope and shot the group during the break in. As I use a Meopta with a K Dot I have no idea how well mine CAN shoot but I do know it is of sufficient accuracy for my needs..... :cheers:

I just looked on DPMS website and couldn't find a lightweight 20" 1x9 twist. You wouldn't happen to have an item # would you?

Which DPMS 20" barrel?

I just looked on DPMS website and couldn't find a lightweight 20" 1x9 twist. You wouldn't happen to have an item # would you?

The barrels are in 1x8 and the contour may not be listed in the catalog...

I have built a few ar15s in the past but have used wilson barrels.

What did you think of these barrels? I have had real good luck with the RockRiver barrels that have the Wylde chambers. I have three AR's that have these barrels with 1 X 8 twist and they are tack drivers. The rifles like 69 and 77 grn bullets.

I have built a few ar15s in the past but have used wilson barrels.

What did you think of these barrels? I have had real good luck with the RockRiver barrels that have the Wylde chambers. I have three AR's that have these barrels with 1 X 8 twist and they are tack drivers. The rifles like 69 and 77 grn bullets.

Wilson Arms match grade blanks make very good barrels. Rock River uses Wilson blanks.

I just put together another rifle and used a White Oak Armament 18" SPR barrel. It has rifle gas, wylde chamber, 1/7 twist, SS, threaded, medium contour (41oz.). I mounted it to a LaRue billet upper with a Precision Titanium bolt carrier with a bolt I ordered from WOA at time of barrel purchase. Barrel was $248.00 + $40.00 for the bolt. with off the shelf 55gr I am getting about 1 to 1-1/4 inch 100 yd grps. Nothing spectacular. Yesterday went back to the range with some Black hills 75 gr match HP ammo. wow, most groups were under 1/2", none were bigger than 3/4". And I am by no means a bench rest shooter. I think Ill keep this barrel.

I just put together another rifle and used a White Oak Armament 18" SPR barrel. It has rifle gas, wylde chamber, 1/7 twist, SS, threaded, medium contour (41oz.). I mounted it to a LaRue billet upper with a Precision Titanium bolt carrier with a bolt I ordered from WOA at time of barrel purchase. Barrel was $248.00 + $40.00 for the bolt. with off the shelf 55gr I am getting about 1 to 1-1/4 inch 100 yd grps. Nothing spectacular. Yesterday went back to the range with some Black hills 75 gr match HP ammo. wow, most groups were under 1/2", none were bigger than 3/4". And I am by no means a bench rest shooter. I think Ill keep this barrel.

Were the 55's FMJ's? Try loading Nosler 55 Ballistic Tips. They shoot as well as Sierra Match Kings.

I find it humorous that shooters will try FMJ's and have mediocre results, then try good bullets of a different weight, then blame the bullet weight for the results rather than the bullets. :rolleyes:

The 55's were FMJ's. I dont reload .223 (yet). I did try 60 gr V-max Black hills as well. They did no better than the 55's. No ammo used was surplus. All factory. (I know even factory 55's are not match ammo) If i could get my hands on the bullets you are talking about in a factory load (without it costing $30.00 a box)I would try them. I think my 550B is going to get converted to .223 very soon. My post wasnt meant to be about the ammo though as that is getting a bit off topic. I was simply offering up another option to the OP regarding a barrel choice.

Ultramax loads the Nosler in a 50 round box. You can get them from Cabelas. I don't know the price right now, but they are usually cheaper than B.H. and mucho acurrate. Benny and I have used them for years and many a match has been won with them! KurtM

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been playing with an open gun and almost forgot about this thread. thanks to all for the info you have shared. M118lr I like the wilson barrels alot. It is true that is what rock river uses for their factory barrels. I have built three rifles with them 1 for me and 2 for friends. My rifle has a 16 in heavy with a midd length gas system. @ 100 yards it will do 1.5 in off the bench w/ wwb 55gr fmj (keep in mind im useing a trijicon tri power with no magnification). Need to find some time to do some handloads for it though. As of right now i want an 18in tube. does anyone have any experiance good or bad with ar15barrels .com. please pm me if you need to to give me the scoop.

I have the DPMS barrel Benny suggested and it is a good barrel giving me MOA accuracy.

I also have used AR15Barrels to take some weight off of a colt barrel and he did a good job and the whole process was less than 2 weeks including shipping.

I think next time I'm going for a JP barrel assembly but who knows...there are alot of good options.

I would absolutely NOT send anything to AR15Barrels. Randall Rausch has been completely out of it for the last several months, taking barrels and money and keeping them with no work done in return. He did good work in the past. I don't know what happened, but sending him your barrel at this point would not be a good idea.

I wish I could find some of the threads, but this is the only one I can see atm.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&...30&t=157838