Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What rimfire do you use?

mshotwell

Rich,

This may not be what you want to hear but I would suggest that you wait until the Tac Sol unit becomes available. Shoot what you have now. I have one of the original Marvels and the accuracy can't be beat. I have put together 2 Marvel's on dedicated frames in the last two years and we finally got the bugs worked out of one but the other is still a work in progress.

Based on Doug Carden's recommendation of the Tac Sol it sounds like this conversion will be the only one that will compare to the old Marvel. They are well worth the money which is more than I can say about the others. Take it from someone that has spent a boatload of money on his equipment, wait a little longer and get the best.

Kevin

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for reinforcing what I've been telling myself for months. Just frustrating. Haven't shot in years (literally) and have the bug full force. I'll probably still put a dot on the MkII to have it (and use it more) but in the meantime, it's a waiting game.

Still curious on the reliability of the Kimber 22 pistols though.

Rich

Junior shooter shot with us last year.....Using the Kimber Rimfire and Kimber mags.....shooting Fed 550 pk ammo.

Halfway through the match it started malfing, dont know if the chamber got dirty, he rubbed the slide with his finger, etc? He had a good match going until the jams started, and it was frustrating to watch for him.

I dont know if it was just ammo related or not. We wanted to help, but we didnt know him or his dad, they still had a great time and we were glad they were there.

Maybe with a EGW thumbguard that replaces the plunger tube, and at a Minimum CCI ammo you could get it running 100%.

Not much help, sorry.......Something worries me with the plastic mags, in the Kimber and some that Todd had from Marvel last year. Once you get the Metalform Ace mags tuned they work great!

I am going to quit being a pain in your butt, Rich..... :rolleyes:;)

See ya,

DougC

Hardly Doug. You and Todd are my resource for SC stuff on here as I do plan to be shooting with y'all this year and DEFINITELY next. ;)

Todd - Didn't know STI had their own. That's promising I suppose. I'll be calling Rusty today.

Rich

ETA: If anyone has pics or specs on a dedicated 1911 based pistol, I'd love pics and info. Thanks.

Here's a picture of my dedicated "pre-production run" Tactical Solutions 22lr top end on an SVI frame using an STI single stack grip. Note that I removed the toprail.

A buddy of mine called a couple of days ago....He has a Kimber Unit coming for his Kimber single stack. I gave him a laundry list of things to look at and to do on his kit.

He is going to keep track of things and let me know how it runs, how many rounds until malfs, ammo it likes, etc.....

We will see if it runs better than the Ciener I had 10 yrs ago.....

DougC

Here's a picture of my dedicated "pre-production run" Tactical Solutions 22lr top end on an SVI frame using an STI single stack grip. Note that I removed the toprail.

I'll give you a chocolate chip cookie for the single stack grip :lol:

PMD, that 617 is TOO COOL!!! I'm curious...whose mount did you use for the C-More??? TIA....mikey357

I don't recall which manufacturer - I think it was either EGW or Weigand. I took a standard mount and milled the weaver portion off, drilled and tapped for the C-More - easy mod.

Mark (aka "Pin Shooter") had some nice ones made up - if your in the market for a mount you might want to contact him .

Update:

TacSol is taking orders.

STI's is not a TacSol unit and their 2011 models are still getting the mags tweaked.

Talked with Rusty and got the blessing on the Kimber units too (limits to single stack though).

Rich

Rich,

My Kimber top end gets shot at at least 1 match per month for the last 2 years and runs at 99+%. My son shoots a BuckMark Splash version (Aluminum Frame), a TS barrel and a clamp on comp I made to give the kid a needed cool factor when shooting got boring for him. If you want a great (for me anyway) single stack conversion, the Kimber has been well worth the money. For larger grip size, the 22/45 grips can be milled flat and 1911 grip studs epoxied in place to use any 1911 grip. Also, the Buckmark URX grips are pretty beefy, larger than 1911 stock panels.

Dave

i gotta 22/45 that i've been having some problems with, maybe you guys can help. it totally crapped out at the Georgia Griffen Steel match a month of so ago, and a couple of the RO's kinda helped me figure it out. seems like the mainspring housing is nasty inside, the plunger wants to hang up, and then no hammer strike, or not much of one. just took it apart, polished the inside w/a .243 brush and compound, polished the mainspring cap, and it seems to feel good now. trigger is definitely mo' bettah'. is this a common problem, or do i just have one w/ a buggered up mainspring housing? haven't shot it yet, maybe i fixed it..... :unsure:

TacSol is taking orders.

STI's is not a TacSol unit and their 2011 models are still getting the mags tweaked.

Talked with Rusty and got the blessing on the Kimber units too (limits to single stack though).

So STI is going to offer a .22 conversion unit by itself?

Dave, just blow it out with some gunscrubber, lube it with some light oil, and you should be back in business, but shame on you for letting it get that gunky........ :o:lol:

DougC

well, cliff told me not to take it apart, that i might hurt myself........

I picked up a Kadet unit for my CZ and it has run anything I have put in it. If I could find some ammo that was 100% I'd be in business. I ran 1K through it last month( a 550 federal box, 200 mini mags, and any other plated I found on the shelf) Everything feed and extracted great. I just ran into some that would not go bang. I'm going to put a 15lb mainspring in this month to try.

• 2 months later...

I've been toying w/ the idea of using my G17L "racegun" with a AA conversion and with their extended barrel, have it threaded and install an aluminum comp on it. Any ideas or thoughts about that? Or I may just get the STI or TacSol conversion for my 38 Super open gun.