Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first IDPA match

9x21

Well, after just about 20 years of USPSA shooting, I finally did it.

I went & shot a local IDPA match last night.

After the years of bitchin' about the rules, I found out my impressions were all wrong,

this was a lot of FUN! :blush:

A small club in Bridgeport, CT had a great bunch of guys who made the new guy feel welcome.

(just like USPSA guys!) They walked me through rule differences, although it was tough not "air gunning" the stages, I had to keep my hands in my pockets! :lol:

My only regret was I could not stay to shoot the entire match. Started at 6PM, I shot 4 stages until about 8:15, They were going to shoot at least two more..............

Next month I'll be prepared to stay for the whole night.

Good times, for any IPSC shooters not sure about this sport, give it a try.

I'll be back!

;)

Edited by 9x21

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

name='9x21' post='666034' date='Dec 12 2007, 08:22 AM']Well, after just about 20 years of USPSA shooting, I finally did it.

I went & shot a local IDPA match last night.

After the years of bitchin' about the rules, I found out my impressions were all wrong,

this was a lot of FUN! :blush:

A small club in Bridgeport, CT had a great bunch of guys who made the new guy feel welcome.

(just like USPSA guys!) They walked me through rule differences, although it was tough not "air gunning" the stages, I had to keep my hands in my pockets! :lol:

My only regret was I could not stay to shot the entire match. Started at 6PM, I shot 4 stages until about 8:15, They were going to shot at least two more..............

Next month I'll be prepared to stay for the whole night.

Good times, for any IPSC shooters not sure about this sport, give it a try.

I'll be back!

;)

Why would they not let you air gun?? I have done it at idpa matches before.

Edited by Duane Thomas

Why would they not let you air gun?? I have done it at idpa matches before.

It's really against the rules ( Rule C 5, page 9 of IDPA rule book )

No big deal not doing it, actually made think more than pre-program

Great match report! I confess, I've also shot both sports :surprise: .

Back when we ran an affiliated USPSA club HERE (shootersparadise.com) there was also an affiliated IDPA club at the same facility. By sharing target stands, pasters, props, and ideas, both clubs prospered & saved money. Better yet, there was a lot of cross-over between the sports.

Many shooters soon realized that both sports offer what we all seek: trigger time & chance to improve our skill. Its all good time spent behind the gun.

I have been shooting IDPA for a couple of years now, recently had the oportunity to shoot in an IPSC fund raiser match. What a blast, I had not shot IPSC in years. They are both great games and I look forward to shooting more IPSC next year.

Robin

We enjoyed seeing you again and shooting with you 9X21.

After the first swallow, the Kool-aid goes down rather easily, doesn't it?

Let's hook up for some travel to USPSA matches when the weather breaks.

Craig

Edited by Bones

John,

How long did it take you to realize there was no red dot to look at? :surprise:

For those who wondered why I built that iron sighted open gun...........................

There you go! :D

Not for IDPA of course, but to transition BACK to IRON sights... (going full circle in my shooting)

Edited by 9x21

We enjoyed seeing you again and shooting with you 9X21.

After the first swallow, the Kool-aid goes down rather easily, doesn't it?

Let's hook up for some travel to USPSA matches when the weather breaks.

Craig

Great fun on the "other side", not at all what I expected.

Hell, I have so few pistols that are legal for IDPA, I really might try the wheelee gun,

In your shadow of course! :bow:

We will hook up for Dutchess in the spring, see you next month :P

Welcome to IDPA.

I know it makes me a minority on the BE Forum... but I am primarily an IDPA shooter... Who uses USPSA for more trigger time and (effectively) practice for IDPA matches.

Because--------------

1. I started shooting in competition for tactical practice.. and IDPA is "closer" than USPSA to tactical shooting

2. There are 3 IDPA clubs within 60 miles.. and I have to drive over 150 miles to a USPSA club.

3. To be totally honest.. as a super senior..... IDPA plays to my skills and USPSA is more about problem areas which I can't change (mobility etc)

So I like them both . . . . .Meaning if you love shooting... you can easily love both "sports".

Good for you in trying something new. I've been shooting IDPA since it began here in NC. I've been shooting IPSC here since 81. Both sports have their followings. I shoot both on a regular basis. In the early days of IDPA there was a lot of hostility to crossover shooters like me. Nowadays there's none of that. Sure, some folks will make comments but it's more in jest than anything else. In fact, I've introduced IPSC to quite a few IDPA shooters. Both sports have their silly rules. I just take each sport for what it is and play by the rules of each. Trigger time is good, no matter what game you play.

I'd love to shoot more USPSA but they shoot on the wrong days around here (I don't shoot Sundays). As for the lack of acrimony, same for us here. In fact, there's a plan around here to set up a match and shoot it using IDPA rules in the morning, then USPSA rules in the afternoon. Talk about a blast! Talk about trigger time!

I'd love to see this happen! Jim, you listening?

I used to shoot IDPA a lot, until I didn't have the time. Then I went back to it and had to learn the rules again and had to deal with people who don't like you trying to get the best scores. Why do they time you if it is not a game? Because it is a game! I am just staying with USPSA, unless I need more trigger time. Then I will go out and practice more.

I'd love to shoot more USPSA but they shoot on the wrong days around here (I don't shoot Sundays). As for the lack of acrimony, same for us here. In fact, there's a plan around here to set up a match and shoot it using IDPA rules in the morning, then USPSA rules in the afternoon. Talk about a blast! Talk about trigger time!

I'd love to see this happen! Jim, you listening?

Kenneth:

We are still planning a prototype match with IDPA in the morning (12 stages, 150 rounds) then change out the targets and shoot 5 or 6 USPSA stages (by combining the shorter IDPA stages), 150 rounds.

Since we are developing COFs in 3D using Google SketchUp, we should be able to work the combinations without a lot of hassle.

We at Black Creek IDPA look at USPSA as great sport and have been working to bring the USPSA shooters into IDPA this year with great success. By running a 12 stage, 150 round IDPA match every month, we can provide the challenge and the round count that the USPSA shooter (I am one) wants to see in a match. We try to challenge all levels of skill with IDPA courses that give the shooter options rather than choreographed scenarios. We unabashedly steal ideas from the USPSA matches at Fredricksburg and North Mountain and apply them in the IDPA context. There is a steady diet of shooting on the move, strong hand, weak hand, and difficult shooting positions.

We just had a 2 person team event last weekend where we had 6 stages, 150 rounds. It was a blast and we plan to do this again. Note that we had 23 2 person teams and shot this match in 2 hours flat thanks to our outstanding Safety Officers (Kenneth and others). Every single person had a great time from the winners (Team NEVCO) to last place (Team Jack Jennell) and really enjoyed doing something a little different.

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

I used to shoot IDPA a lot, until I didn't have the time. Then I went back to it and had to learn the rules again and had to deal with people who don't like you trying to get the best scores. Why do they time you if it is not a game? Because it is a game! I am just staying with USPSA, unless I need more trigger time. Then I will go out and practice more.

Maybe this should be in What I Hate.

I hate when, as an halfway experienced shooter, you go to a club that shoots different rules (IDPA, USPSA, cowboy, whatever) and the members see you shoot and then either assume you should already know the rules or worse they decide to try and trap you with a rule particular to their game. No I'm not talkin about any particular game, just the attitude that prevails at some clubs about those who shoot different games. I like shooting different games. We should all go out of our way to welcome and tudor those from other sports.

Can't we all just get along? :blink:

Back to the thread.

Welcome to IDPA!!!! I'm glad to hear you had a great experience. :)

Sounds outstanding

I'll make a IDPA match too.

Its all good. Heck I think Bullseye and Bianchi might happen for me after reading this.

Shooting is all good

After shooting bullseye I realized just how much strong hand only practice I needed. It was fun though.

• 5 weeks later...