Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who Does Rainbow Titanium Oxide coating on Guns?

Remember that SIG 239 in Rainbow finished years ago? Who offers that finish on guns nowadays like on this SVI? See Photo. Thanks in advance.

That's cool....if my wife saw it, she might want another gun! I wonder how it would look on a damascus slide? That would make for a cool Open blaster.

I don't know about Titanium Oxide, but who does Titanium Nitride finsh for guns? I saw an STI done in Arkansas once and always wanted to know where he got it done, Really cool looking "golden Gun"!! KurtM

The gun in the photo was mine, full custom sight tracker built by SV for me and the finish was done through SV (Brandon would know the name of the company since I forgot.) Great looking to start with but it was so thin it wore quickly and began to rust. Had the gun plated by Virgil afterwards, kept it for a while and sold it to splashdown here on the forums. I think if someone were to plate it first( or something similar) the corrosion resistance could be enhanced and it might work.

P.S. I also still have all the old original photos of anyone else is interested, I still feel it looked really cool...

Not trying to hammer SVI or the company that does the plating, but TiNi should be one of the toughest finishes available. A lot of high end suspension components (especially shock absorbers) use it to reduce friction and they see literally millions of cycles in the course of a single race.

I would guess from the color, the finish was not a true TiNi but some kind of concoction that got called TiNi.

The gun in the photo was mine, full custom sight tracker built by SV for me and the finish was done through SV (Brandon would know the name of the company since I forgot.) Great looking to start with but it was so thin it wore quickly and began to rust. Had the gun plated by Virgil afterwards, kept it for a while and sold it to splashdown here on the forums. I think if someone were to plate it first( or something similar) the corrosion resistance could be enhanced and it might work.

P.S. I also still have all the old original photos of anyone else is interested, I still feel it looked really cool...

Yes. Please post them.

Yes. Please post them.

Not sure how to do that, but I'll send them to you so feel free if you like...

I don't know about Titanium Oxide, but who does Titanium Nitride finsh for guns? I saw an STI done in Arkansas once and always wanted to know where he got it done, Really cool looking "golden Gun"!! KurtM

I know a guy that had a real cool golden racegun. The TiN started coming off the breachface and caused jams and major match loss. I know for a fact he missed that gun more than anything.

Except not winning.

post-307-1197428504.jpg

Edited by BSeevers

My wife has a black 239 and when Nik told her that they made a pretty one she instantly informed me that if I ever see one for sale I have to buy it on the spot, no matter the price. Lucky for me, they seem to be very very rare, I haven't actually seen one for sale yet.

Ion Bond, formerly Bodycote does the Rainbow finish on Kershaw's knives I believe. My late friend Rob Simonich had them DLC a 1911 slide that went on his carry gun. Some of the coatings are VERY durable. Others, like the rainbow, are just too bling for a blaster!

~Mitch

My wife has a black 239 and when Nik told her that they made a pretty one she instantly informed me that if I ever see one for sale I have to buy it on the spot, no matter the price. Lucky for me, they seem to be very very rare, I haven't actually seen one for sale yet.

The Sig 239 Rainbow started all that rainbow coating craziness back in 2003 or so. The Kershaw guys saw it on the Sig and had the process replicated on some Ken Onion model knives. IIRC the original coating on the Sig was a mistake on the part of the company contracted to apply a specialty finish to the slide. Sig was pleased with mistake and poof a few hundred rejects start a little fashion trend.

...and there's the rest of the story.