Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold 121 IFP.....

joecichlid

One of the shooters I compete with gave me ten rounds of .38 Super Comp loaded with MG 121 IFP over 9.0 grains (if I remember correctly) of 3N38 to try out. At first I wasn't sure how well they would work in my gun but he (who happens to be a GM) told me they worked fantastic out of his gun. On his advice I gave them a shot, so to speak. Off of a sand bag I shot five rounds at 25 yards and I was a little stumped. The first five rounds were so close I wasn't sure if I was throwing them somewhere else on the target so I fired a few more for good measure. After going down range to get my target I was VERY pleased with what I found.

Dsc05646.jpg

My only problem I had was that the powder made the gun a little snappy. I hope to get a small sample of the bullets to try out with the powder I normally use, Hodgdon Longshot, and see how they do. I will post any results I get from that testing.

Note: the bullets in my sample mic'd out at 0.3555 dia.

Joe W.

Edited by joecichlid

If they run this good with my usual powder I am going to have to buy a few cases too.

OK silly question. How many are in a case of MG's (couldn't find it on the MG site) and is the MG site the best place to purchase the IFP's?

TIA ,

West

If they run this good with my usual powder I am going to have to buy a few cases too.

OK silly question. How many are in a case of MG's (couldn't find it on the MG site) and is the MG site the best place to purchase the IFP's?

TIA ,

West

3800/case current price is $272/case or if you buy 3 cases $269/case.

• 1 month later...

I think I am going to get a case or two in the next few weeks. The bullets I usually shoot are now well over $100 a thousand locally and even direct from the maker the price is higher than the MGs so I am switching and I know they work.

Joe W.

What is the purpose of making a 121gr bullet in this profile and what does the IFP mean? There are 115gr and 124gr JHPs, so why go just a couple grains either way? Is the base of the 121gr exposed lead or is it a total jacket?

Yes.....the IFP is a full jacketed bullet. Its purpose is to meet the minimum bullet weight of 120 grains for IPSC (hence International Flat Point) competition in open. It is 1 grain heavier to allow for variances so that it will make it through chrono.

Yes.....the IFP is a full jacketed bullet. Its purpose is to meet the minimum bullet weight of 120 grains for IPSC (hence International Flat Point) competition in open. It is 1 grain heavier to allow for variances so that it will make it through chrono.

I have been shooting 121 IFP for awhile and they weighed in at 120.5 gns at 3 different major matches last year. Very accurate bullet as stated before.

I have been shooting 121 IFP for awhile and they weighed in at 120.5 gns at 3 different major matches last year. Very accurate bullet as stated before.

That's good to know, makes about 6fps difference to make approx 170PF.......Thanks

I'm sold on the 121 IFP in my open gun. My gun's a little older, so it doesn't have hybrid holes, and was recommended 7.8 grs of Longshot to "easily" make major with them (haven't chrono'd that load yet, but have shot it plenty.)

BrianH, it is an STI barrel. The gun was built back in 93/94 according to STI and this is the original barrel. Hood is marked STI and serial on bottom of barrel matches frame and slide. When I got the gun almost two years ago it had less than 1000 rounds through it and it showed. Since then I have put 12,000 to 13,000 it and it still shoots great.

Joe W.

Are most folks using these bullets for 9MM major, or should they also work well as a minor load using say Titegroup?

They should work fine for 9mm minor - a little unusual (in that not a lot of folks are using them for that application), but shuld work fine ;)

Finally did some shooting with these Friday in my new to me open gun. Don't have anything to compare previously and maybe it's jut the gun but seemed very accurate. Plan to do some sandbag shooting when warmer days arrive. I am using 8.6 g of imr4756 at 1.250 col to make 172PF.

Thread drift. At what distance do most of you open guys sight in at?

I found one thing to not like about these.... The lead "filling" is uneven between bullets - so if your seating stem is working off the top of the bullet, you get different seating depths on your loaded rounds (same OAL, but the base of the bullet may be deeper into the case on some than others).

I haven't grouped them yet - but interestingly, even though these are .355 bullets, the velocities don't differ much from the .356 Zero. Slower by maybe 10 fps in my gun ;)

You might check the bullets. The ones I hit with the mic came out at 0.3555. This could explain the velocity. My gun really likes 0.356 bullets but when I shot the 121 IFPs the groups were outstanding. Thanks for the heads up, I will be sure and keep an eye on my OAL when I start loading them.

Joe W.