Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold 121 IFP.....

joecichlid

Alright now :surprise: I expect great things out of you tomorrow night. you were fast with that Limitard gun......that dot should make you real fast :rolleyes:

Limitard?? :surprise: Don't expect much, gonna go nice and easy so nobody laughs when I lose the dot :rolleyes:

Edited by boz1911

• 2 weeks later...
You might check the bullets. The ones I hit with the mic came out at 0.3555. This could explain the velocity.

The bullet is longer, too, than the Zero, so it sits deeper in the case for the same OAL. That can easily explain the difference - with these loads, a change of ten thousandths is pretty significant in terms of resulting velocity...

My gun really likes 0.356 bullets but when I shot the 121 IFPs the groups were outstanding. Thanks for the heads up, I will be sure and keep an eye on my OAL when I start loading them.

I might be a tad anal.... but I won't probably won't be shooting any more of these due in large part to the OAL variations. If I use a flat seating stem that pushes down on the top of the bullet, I end up with both inconsistent OAL, and also inconsistent case volume. If I use a seating stem that hits on the ogive of the bullet (avoiding the inconsistent lead "fill"), I still can't accurately measure OAL. Either way, my OALs on with these bullets vary by over 10 thousandths. I triple checked the press, and was certain to be loading with cases in each station. No change... Switch back to Zero 121, and OAL varies by 1 thousandth. I would imagine the regular MG JHPs won't have this issue at all...