Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In Case You Think Your Eyeglasses are Enough...

revchuck

All - While I was shooting my M&P .45 weak-hand over the weekend, I had a case come back at me and slip neatly through the space at the juncture of the frame and the temple. It was a one-in-a-million thing, but it happened. Luckily, it missed my eye but scorched a bit of skin where it rested on my cheek bone. It wouldn't have happened had I been wearing a ball cap.

The ball cap is the short term fix. I'm going to get a pair of Wal-Mart prescription safety glasses w/shields for the long term.

Sheesh, that was close.

Glad you're okay. At the academy they make eyeglass wearers put plastic shields on to prevent this. They're thin, clear and have two holes...slip right on the earpiece. I'm not sure if they're available commercially, but would think they'd have to be...just a matter of finding who sells them. R,

Glad you're okay. At the academy they make eyeglass wearers put plastic shields on to prevent this. They're thin, clear and have two holes...slip right on the earpiece. I'm not sure if they're available commercially, but would think they'd have to be...just a matter of finding who sells them. R,

They are commercially available. Bullseye shooters, PPC shooters and BR/Longranges shooter wear them.

Federal gave them away at Skeet matches.

Glad all is well revchuck!

I found a solution at my eye doctors. He carrys wrap around protective glasses that fit over my large prescription glasses. I have a clear pair and one in bright yellow fo dark days.

The were inexpensive, have adjustable bows and a shield in the top of the lenses that precludes anything getting in from the top.

I shoot a team event that has three shooters at a table engaging targets at the same time. 22 rim fire a few years back I had one of the other guys brass enter the side of my glasses and wedge the sharp side of the brass between the glasses and my eye lid just under the lasses. Hot Ouch 30 seconds later it happened again Wish I had some kind of scar to show for it.

Now I just do the geek thing and use the side blinder when I shoot that event. You can Punch tow holes in a business card, if you can't find any. For center fire matches I will only use wrap around Oakley type so that I do not have the center opening. Had stuff IN my eyes from that, that made it past the small space at my nose with my head turned just a bit. :blink: The eyes heal fast ,But they also will scar. I don't think my Dr. has the equipment to take a photo.

So Yes full coverage is good

I shoot a team event that has three shooters at a table engaging targets at the same time. 22 rim fire a few years back I had one of the other guys brass enter the side of my glasses and wedge the sharp side of the brass between the glasses and my eye lid just under the lasses. Hot Ouch 30 seconds later it happened again Wish I had some kind of scar to show for it.

Now I just do the geek thing and use the side blinder when I shoot that event. You can Punch tow holes in a business card, if you can't find any. For center fire matches I will only use wrap around Oakley type so that I do not have the center opening. Had stuff IN my eyes from that, that made it past the small space at my nose with my head turned just a bit. :blink: The eyes heal fast ,But they also will scar. I don't think my Dr. has the equipment to take a photo.

So Yes full coverage is good

+1 :cheers:

If you frequent some of the popular rifle and handgun "public" ranges, sometimes there are no "deflectors" between shooting stations. Nothing more annoying and dangerous for your eyes than sooting next to a gun that predictably flings hot brass into you or your face.

On the other hand, as "ez bagger" pointed out: if your gun is "habitually" throwing brass in your face, FIX IT!!!!

Your eyes are irreplaceable, protect them.

On the other hand, as "ez bagger" pointed out: if your gun is "habitually" throwing brass in your face, FIX IT!!!!

This was on an indoor range, and the brass goes up and hits the overhead cover and bounces. I'm pretty sure that's what happened in this case.

I need to search through the forum and find out which Oakley-style glasses actually work with prescription inserts, rather than have them available as an afterthought.

A quick google found these ANSI rated ones for $2.50/pair:

http://www.discountsafetygear.com/side-shi...fety-glass.html

as well as pages of others. That same page had $0.56/pair ones that weren't ANSI rated but should deflect casings just fine.

Next month I'm going to be getting my first pair of glasses in years to have as a backup (usually wear contacts) and I was thinking about this just the other day when I was at the eye drs getting a new prescription. Figured I'd just ask the doc when I order the glasses next month... I already asked him about the polycarbonate lenses and he said they tested them by firing a bullet at them and they cracked but the bullet did no penetrate. Not knowing I wanted them for shooting he asked "is that good enough for you?" I smiled and laughed a little picturing the wise-asses at the range volunteering to test them while I'm wearing them... "I guess that'll do" was my answer.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

I need to search through the forum and find out which Oakley-style glasses actually work with prescription inserts, rather than have them available as an afterthought.

I have a set of Rx inserts in my Oakley that are six years old = Peepers.com do them for $100 if you send in the Nose pice

I've been using these for the past year from SafetyGlassesUSA. ESS ICE 2.4, 3 Lens System (with metal Rx insert). Just go to your eye Doc and get a copy of your Rx (with measurements), fill out the PDF form and send in both. I had them within a week. Good wrap around protection. Reasonably priced too. Its a great system.

You see so many shooters today just wearing their Rx glasses when they shoot. Folks, They aren't safety glasses. They have to have a designation of Z87 on them if you want to be ensured of some impact resistance. They also need to be a wrap-around style unless you are using side shields with them.

But....even though I was wearing a pair of Z87 wrap around safety glasses the other night, I still had a piece of brass lodge itself between the top of the glasses and my eyebrow. It was all I could do to finish RO'ing the shooter and clear his gun before I ripped the glasses off. Just a blister from the heat, but they kept the brass from eyes.

God only gave you two eyes and they don't come with replacements.

Be careful,

dj

Inserts that work rather than being an afterthought...I hear ya there, buddy, and I've been down that road.

I am really happy with the Rudy Project Exceptions I have now. The prescription inserts actually attach to the frame and the protective wraparound lens-portion clips securely to the nose piece. The protective lenses flip up or detach easily so you can switch from clear to dark lenses in just seconds.

Pricier than the ESS shooting glasses I tried at first, but those had the prescription insert clipping behind the outer lenses. The outer lenses were attached to the frame, which put the insert too close to the face...constantly obscured by sweat or facial oil here in the hot and humid bayou state. Harder to change lenses too. The Rudy's are well worth the extra expense because they work. Bifocal prescription lenses are expensive, so in hindsight the Rudy's, if I had heard about 'em, should have been my solution from the get go, considering the wasted expense of the prescription lenses for the ESS glasses.

I guess I'm also happy with my new setup because I found an eye doc who tweeked my bifocal prescription for a special setup for my right eye...it works great and now I can actually see the front sights clearly.

I've never tried Oakleys, but do yourself a favor and check out the features of the Rudy Exception series.

They're available direct from Rudy via their authorized Web store: http://www.e-rudy.com/

I have the ESS ICE setup with the prescription inserts and have been happy with them. I do smudge up the prescription inserts every so often, but I do so with my regular presicription glasses and and sunglasses as well... so I don't think it would be entirely avoidable, at least for me. I just keep a micro-fiber towel in my range bag to clean them up.

ESS are the current standard for glasses and goggles in SWA for many military units. With all of the IED's we are dealing with over there, the military has really started pushing better eye protection for the frag dangers. Wileys were pretty common initially, and do help, but the ESS seem to handle the frag impact to a higher level. ESS test their lenses by shooting them with a 12 gauge round of 6 shot (forget the yardage) for penetration failure. That's definately what you are looking for when quail hunting in TX with politicians.

I think baseball caps are under rated as far as head protection. Keeps brass away from getting behind your glasses, It keeps the sun off, and if you gotta a bullet fragment comming at your head, at least it hits the cap first. It maybe enough protection to keep you from getting scalped

I think baseball caps are under rated as far as head protection. Keeps brass away from getting behind your glasses, It keeps the sun off, and if you gotta a bullet fragment comming at your head, at least it hits the cap first. It maybe enough protection to keep you from getting scalped

My hat saved me from a seriously sore nose at one match.. I was fiddling with something (loading mags I think) while walking and was looking down when I walked into an aluminum ladder sticking out of the back of someone's truck. When I picked myself off the ground I saw the huge crease in the bill of my ballcap which had absorbed and dispersed the impact. So there are benefits in addition to helping to keep brass off your face....

-rvb

I use Smith Optics for my Rx safety option. they are wrap around and very close to the face. The saved me from some 45 brass. It hit me almost square in the middle of y right lens and left a divot. I was glad I had them on...regualr Rx glasses (daily wear) would not have held up.

FWIW

Even with my tinted S&W eye protection, the .22LR shells easily find the hole (wherever it might be) to whiz into and burn the s**t out of my under-eye flesh... which I can usually even hear sizzling--an unpleasant sensation. And it takes three weeks for those burns to heal. At one point this summer I had three burns in succession and was healing up under-eye burns for weeks on end. :angry2:

However, I now carry a little jar of Aloe Vera Gel to the range at all times and apply it the very moment the burn occurs. It actually helps reduce the severity of the burn, reduce the pain of the moment, and it reduces the length of time for healing. Still, it's a bummer to get those little mothers stuck under your glasses and can't get them out before the burn starts. Acckkkkk!