Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left Handed Glock Shooter

Ekim35

I just started shotting ipsc and i have many people that are helping me out. However the one thing they can not help me with are tips for left handed shooters. Are there any tricks, or modifications that i can make to my gun that will make shooting my glock easier?

Make sure you have the extended mag release, like on the models 34 and 35, also the extended slide stop.]

When you reload, rack the slide to drop it instead of using the slide release/stop.

My last tip would be to do what I did...trade it and get a 1911, then put on the ambi mag release from S&A. :D

Randy

Work on the dexterity of your hands. You need to be able to move you fingers independently to work the controls without changing your grip....much.

When you reload, rack the slide to drop it instead of using the slide release/stop.

I have to disagree with this one. Thats an extra movement, it wastes time. You should be reaquireing your grip at that time instead of racking the slide. After working on your finger dexterity for a while, its not that hard to hit the slide release quickly.

Howdy Ekim35, and et al.,

Ran across this thread and thought I'd add to it. Welcome to the forum!

I'm left handed by birth, right handed by force and confused by nature. That should set the stage for my level of experience.

Personally, there were no mods required for me to run the Glock patterns left handed. I shoot calibers in both the large frame and small framed Glocks. All of then basically have just had the sights changed to night sights. I do have a G17 which is my skunk works platform which I have mucked about with trigger mods to see if I like them. I do have a stock trigger bar to revert it back to a stock configuration quickly.

There are alternative techniques that I adapted to help me through the years of shooting steel, and UPSPSA type matches. First one is using the trigger finger to activate the mag release. This was a great realization that I came on to when I was shooting my old Ruger P95 with an ambi mag release. I did it during a match and realized just how much faster and easier things were going when I used my trigger finger instead of my thumb. The other side benefit is that you are assured your finger is out of the trigger area when doing your reloads.

The other technique is not to use the slide lock as a release, just sling shot the slide. This is taught in a number of training facilities relating to recovery drills. In keeping things simple this works on most pistols patterns rather than trying to activate a smallish slide release.

Have fun out there shooting! Cheers!

As a lefty that shoots lefty, the Glock is a great choice since you don't have to dink with finding and fitting an ambi safety.

In IPSC you don't want to be doing slide-lock reloads, but when I do them, I do them by releasing the slide lock with my index finger-- it's a _lot_ faster than reaching up to pull the slide back since you can trip the lever the instant the mag is seated with your index finger (thus making sure it's not in the trigger guard so you can't DQ). The tactigurus teach the slingshot because they expect your gun to jam and need to be cleared like that and haven't learned to love the index-finger slide-release (which is a pain if you're a righty..)

Mag release is either my trigger finger or the next one down, depending on the pistol. Even on a 1911 I don't bother with ambi mag releases.

If cases bouncing off your thumbs annoy you (you do shoot thumbs-forward, right?), then you may have to tweak on the extractor/ejector combo to make brass come out more upwardly.

Finding good lefty holsters and gear can be tricky, but it's worth it-- get good gear from the start.

I find it the easiest to work the mag release with my middle finger. I found the extended mag release to be of no help at all and in fact the sharp corners would dig in in between the middle and trigger finger to the point of bloody blisters. I replaced it with a standard one on my G-35 and I feel that it is more comfortable to work. I have bent the mag release spring a little to make mag release a little softer. Giving an extra hard slap to the bottom of the mag releases the slide from a slide lock pretty well.

The gun makers designed guns for right handed people, but I have found that us leftys have the advantage in working the controls. I agree with Shred and Shooting4fun. Practice your dexterity with you trigger finger and you will see it is just as fast doing things this way.

I just started shotting ipsc and i have many people that are helping me out. However the one thing they can not help me with are tips for left handed shooters. Are there any tricks, or modifications that i can make to my gun that will make shooting my glock easier?

Who's Glock?? :surprise:

After seating the magazine, you'll see its just right there: Try hitting the slide release with the middle finger of your right hand.

Yes, you are reaching under the gun and it may seem unnatural at first, but after releasing the slide and reacquiring your two-handed shooting grip, you'll find your support hand fingers just glide right into their proper positions (with the index finger finding home first naturally).

Much like semi-auto shotguns with right side ejection ports, Southpaws are at an advantage when shooting the GLOCK in competition.

Edited by ctdilley

I'm a lefty currently shooting a G35 in STD Division (International rules), and routinely do sub 1 second reloads with a trigger finger release, and with very basic Fobus paddle mag pouches in the required "behind the hipbone position".

Here's a pic from a match last weekend, the new mag was seated well before the old one hit the ground. Not to brag mind you, but just to show that it's possible with a little training...

post-6037-1196532728.jpg

Edited by SouthpawG26

• 2 weeks later...

I am a lefty as well, but can't stand shooting a Glock because the mag release digs into my middle finger on the strong hand. I have found the Springfield XD to be much more favorable for a lefty shooter. It has an ambi-mag release and I have found that during reloads (on the rare occasion when I have to go to slide lock), if I seat the mag forcefully with my trigger finger resting on the slide release, the slide will automatically close and it is a smooth transition back to my full shooting grips.

So my ultimate suggestion, sell the Glock and buy an XD.

Use an extended slide release and break it in. I use the extended mag release and round the corners so as not to dig into my fingers. I hated the XD, with that stupid grip safety, I prefer the M&P anyway.

you know what they say about lefties, we are the only ones in our right mind!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Good news for lefties. Glock is working on an ambidextrous mag release. All new glock

mags are notched at the face of the mag, as well as maintaining the "classic" mag catch.

It won't be long.

As a lefty who shoots a Glock 35 lefthanded in USPSA Production and Limited, I would never buy an ambi mag release. I use my index finger to drop the mag and to hit the slide release. I've found this to be the fastest way for me to do things. I tried an extended mag release but it dug into the web of my fingers too much, so I went with a standard mag release and didn't notice any disadvantage.

As a lefty who shoots a Glock 35 lefthanded in USPSA Production and Limited, I would never buy an ambi mag release. I use my index finger to drop the mag and to hit the slide release. I've found this to be the fastest way for me to do things. I tried an extended mag release but it dug into the web of my fingers too much, so I went with a standard mag release and didn't notice any disadvantage.

My thoughts too. Ambi mag releases are a solution looking for a problem IMO.

My thoughts too. Ambi mag releases are a solution looking for a problem IMO.

I don't know . . . on second thought, I'd buy one, but only if I were right-handed. :D

I need to post a video of a way Ive figured out to do slide stop reloads; Im a lefty and I dont like the idea of over the top or slingshot slide dropping; and it beats reaching up with your trigger finger or under the frame with your weak hand.

I'm a lefty, proponent of the right hand on the top slide release, and middle finger user of mag releases that I can't move over. My SIG SP2022 lets me move the mag release to the opposite side, so I'm trying that. Using the middle finger for a mag release on the Glock and 1911 pretty much forces the trigger finger away from the trigger.

The right handed "grasp the top and pull back" slide release works for me because all three gun types I shoot have different slide releases. I guess if you just did one gun and wanted to be a top 1% competitor using your trigger finger would be good. Can't say from experience.

The good news is that being a lefty in the shooting world is sort oflike being labelled "slow learner" in school. You know you have to learn to learn and work hard to pass so you end up doing better than those who glide along on natural talent. Or handedness, as the case may be. :)

Leam