Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI EAGLE 5.0(.40 S&W) For IDPA ESP & USPSA Limited

Paul Burtchell

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just started shooting USPSA. I enjoy shooting IDPA and want a gun that I can shoot in both Leagues. I am really leaning to buying a STI Eagle 5.0 in .40.
Well that's what I've ended up doing, sort of. I'm getting a very nice used 5" short/narrow with a bushing barrel built by Benny Hill. I'll be able to play in both sports with one gun. I think the Eagle would be a great choice.

Hmm. A 9mm Eagle for IDPA may be about the ultimate. I could always just use my GLOCK 24 for USPSA Limited.

Dang, no easy answer is there?

From that perspective, why not just save $1500 and get a G35/G34 with a magwell for ESP IDPA?

Because 1911's rule and Glocks drool. Kidding. Glocks are fine and I like them but I prefer 1911's because they are easier to shoot. It is all about personal prefrence.

Pat

Hello: I like the 2011 and 1911. If you shoot a Glock with a light trigger it makes a big difference. Not a 1911 trigger but alot better than stock. You will love the 2011 for IDPA and USPSA. I can't wait till mine comes back from Tripp. It will be looking good in chrome instead of the spotty rust color it had ;-). Thanks, Eric

Hello: I like the 2011 and 1911. If you shoot a Glock with a light trigger it makes a big difference. Not a 1911 trigger but alot better than stock. You will love the 2011 for IDPA and USPSA. I can't wait till mine comes back from Tripp. It will be looking good in chrome instead of the spotty rust color it had ;-). Thanks, Eric

Eric, be sure to post some pictures when you get your blaster back. Tripp does awesome work.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tortured myself with every platform out there and I have now finally surrendered to the reality that I need another 1911 (my 4th) and it will most likely be an STI.

Here's the rub, I want a long heavy dust cover gun. Unfortunatley virtually every range around me shoots IDPA (I can shoot 5 IDPA matches a month) and only two ranges have USPSA matches per month (and then one only has like 8 a year)

So it WOULD be cool to have a 40 I can shoot in either. Mainly because the gun is going to cost me plenty and I want to get to use it alot. I actually have tens and tens of thousands of 40 bullets and brass even though I dont currently own a 40 (but I know I will)

Does anyone have any experience with the STI Eagle, running it Limited in major in USPSA and in ESP in IDPA?

I know this might be unnecessarily handicapping myself in USPSA but I am curious.

PS I will eventually get a long heavy DC gun anyway probably

Thanks

Brian

I don't think you have anything to worry about. If it were indeed dark powers forcing you to do this you would be wondering how to stick one of those little red dot thingamajigs on a gun. Since you don't have these urges, you are definitely NOT under the influence of dark powers.

I don't think you would be "handicapped" in USPSA shooting and Eagle. You see alot of light- bushing barrel guns out there these days. Although I have never owned one, my STI Limited gun is about the same weight and I like it. Plus imagine how nice and easy it would be to shoot both disciplices with the same gun and not have to swap parts to be legal. Set it up for IDPA and shoot the hell out of it in both sports! :)

I don't think you would be "handicapped" in USPSA shooting and Eagle. You see alot of light- bushing barrel guns out there these days. Although I have never owned one, my STI Limited gun is about the same weight and I like it. Plus imagine how nice and easy it would be to shoot both disciplices with the same gun and not have to swap parts to be legal. Set it up for IDPA and shoot the hell out of it in both sports! :)

+1

• 1 month later...

It's what I have decided to do. I found out after the fact that my Tactical 5.0 is not IDPA legal. I should have done more research in the beginning and I would have known better. I LOVE my Roger Sigman tuned Tactical, but I am going to put it aside when the new Eagle gets here from Dawson. Anyone other than me think the 6 week wait is going to kill them? I bought the Tactical model because I shoot long range precision rifle matches and the "Tactical" name seemed to fit my motif. Now that I am getting into pistol shooting I want one gun to shoot IDPA and USPSA both with. You know what they say, "fear the man with only one gun, he probably knows how to use it". I have a Glock 35 and a 22 I could use for IDPA, but it just doesn't drive for me like the 1911's do. I also have a Trojan I could shoot in either, but I like the hi-cap feel better. I guess you can say life has taught me to have several back up plans. I also recently bought some minor .40 ammo from Atlanta Arms. Man, that stuff can spoil a guy quick. I am use to shooting full power loads so this stuff is softer than a mouse farting on a cotton ball. Looks like I am going to have to buy full power stuff for USPSA and run the minor in IDPA matches.

Glad I am not the only one losing sleep over this stuff, I could be sleeping right now @ 2:35 AM!!!

Bobby, I went through the exact same thing for a 9 month period. I used a GLOCK 34,a Les Baer single stack tricked out by Benny Hill and a GLOCK 24. All the switching really messed me up.

I, like you shoot both IDPA and USPSA and I wanted one gun to use for both disciplines. Got a great deal on a gently used STI framed SVI Infinity slide gun built by Benny Hill. I bought it from a BE forum member. Its a short/narrow gun.

My scores immediately and drastically improved.

I'm sending the gun off next week to Benny for a bull barrel reverse plug setup. I plan to use the bull barrel for USPSA and the bushing barrel for IDPA. But, you certainly would not have to have a two barrel setup as I've done pretty good with major loads with the light bushing barrel setup.

All I can say is, FOR ME, the STI platform was a godsend. There is nothing like it, brother. :cheers:

Good luck and good shooting.

Bobby, I went through the exact same thing for a 9 month period. I used a GLOCK 34,a Les Baer single stack tricked out by Benny Hill and a GLOCK 24. All the switching really messed me up.

I've shot my Glocks enough to know the 17* is where it's at for me. I own the Glocks because if I knew my life would depend on my handgun, I'd take a Glock into battle, they just simply go BANG every time you pull the trigger. I shoot the 1911's because I enjoy it.

I, like you shoot both IDPA and USPSA and I wanted one gun to use for both disciplines.

I've never shot an IDPA, but I do want to. I've only shot one USPSA but I am itching to shoot another one. I've been bitten by the bug!!!

My scores immediately and drastically improved.

I'm sending the gun off next week to Benny for a bull barrel reverse plug setup. I plan to use the bull barrel for USPSA and the bushing barrel for IDPA. But, you certainly would not have to have a two barrel setup as I've done pretty good with major loads with the light bushing barrel setup.

All I can say is, FOR ME, the STI platform was a godsend. There is nothing like it, brother. :cheers:

Good luck and good shooting.

I have a bull barrel in my STI Tactical 5.0 and also in my Kimber Tactical Pro II. Everything else has a bushing. I ordered the new Eagle 5.0 from Dawson with the bushing, with no provisions for a bull barrel. I did order an STI magwell for USPSA competitions and a Kreb for IDPA. Heck, I'm beating myself up enough about having to use 2 different loads. I might wind up shooting FP loads in both venues just to keep everything consistent.

Edited by kgunz11

One nice "trick" if you reload is to run lets say a 180gr bullet at major and then run the same exact load with a 155gr. for minor. I've done that with the 180 and 155 gr. Montanta Golds with 4.9gr of VV320 for both. Nothing to change but the bullet.