Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GPS Nav questions

So I'm falling into the black friday maddness, looking at getting a GPS unit for the car. There are several on sale that I'm looking at including the Tomtom One 3rd edition (and LE at bestbuy), Mio C220 and 320, and Magellan Maestro 3100.

This will be used for normal in car navigation, curious if anyone can comment on any of these.

Stick w Garmin. We have 3 Garmin and a Tomtom. Tomtom seems to send you in roundabout ways. Garmin seems to be better. Local knowledge is still required. Example I am 11 miles to work by any of 4 routes, but at 7am they time will vary by over 20 min. Garmin doesn't want to send you across the back roads until you get past a certain turn point. apparently no way to change this. However the unit is extremely accurate.

I also have the DeLorme Mapping program and a laptop in my car. It has many really nice features, but it is more difficult to program. No touch screen.

BTW, the Garmins are 2) 340's and 1)250W nuvi.

Jim

I'd like to throw my two cents toward the Garmin Nuvi series as well. I just upgraded from an older Garmin model. I got the Nuvi 200 (the low end model) It has a 3.5 inch screen and the touchscreen is to die for. Scroll the map around, put your finger on a spot and tell it to go there. Many more features as well. About $300.

FWIW

dj

which of the brands allow you to create a route with multiple stops (like a starting position, 3-4 different addresses, a destination)

The garmin Nuvi 250w allows you to input one way point. maybe more, but I am still feeling my way through it.

The DeLorme map program with a lap top will allow many, how many I don't know.

Jim

Well my mother in law bought a Garmin C330 at Sam's today for like $130, so she's going to pick one up for me too.

In playing with some units at stores it seemed to me that the Garmins OS was more intuitive than the TomTom or Mio. Plus the Garmins have 5 million POI, a feature I think will be nice when driving in areas I'm not familiar with.

Ended up joining Sams and got the Garmin C330, so now I can buy everything I want in quantities larger than I need.

Used the unit today and it works well so far, the POI database had all the places I wanted to go.