Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major using Ramshot Powders

matt2ace

I thought it would be good to start a new thread on 9mm major specifically for Ramshot powders. I am just starting to work on a major load using Silhouette and was interested in any information from members on 9 major loads with this powder specifically.

As the title says, any discussion of reloading with Ramshot powders would be welcome in this thread.

My Major-9 load is 7.8gr of Silhouette under a Montana Gold 124gr-JHP, loaded to 1.165 Very accurate, no pressure signs, and incredibly consistent - at the last big-match chrono, my extreme-spread was only 6 feet-per-second. Good stuff!

As with anything, ymmv, work up a load slowly and watch for pressure signs...

b

matt2ace,

Welcome to the forum! :D I suggest that you search for "Silhouette" in this forum. You will find a couple pages of threads that touch on this subject. I use Silhouette in a .40 open load but that weirdness won't help you.

Later,

Chuck

matt2ace,

Welcome to the forum! :D I suggest that you search for "Silhouette" in this forum. You will find a couple pages of threads that touch on this subject. I use Silhouette in a .40 open load but that weirdness won't help you.

Later,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck.....

I did try several searching for Silhouette......not sure why I did not find the threads. I will check again....probably a spelling error :blink:

40 open.....been there, done that! Crack slide on my G22 open gun moved me to 9mm major using a G24 converted to 9mm now and waiting on a Caspian 9mm from my gunsmith. I use Power pistol for the G24 right now but want to try out Silhouette based on what I have read about it on the forum.

Matt

Edited by matt2ace

My Major-9 load is 7.8gr of Silhouette under a Montana Gold 124gr-JHP, loaded to 1.165 Very accurate, no pressure signs, and incredibly consistent - at the last big-match chrono, my extreme-spread was only 6 feet-per-second. Good stuff!

b

+1

My load is 7.9gr of Silhouette same bullet, same length, same experience.

8.2g of Silhouette

115g Montana Gold CMJ

Fed SR primers

1.175 OAL

Made 170pf in a 5.4" barrel and was very flat shooting. The dot never left the lense and returned to center quickly. Felt a lot like 3N37. The load had acceptable pressure signs and I worked up a couple of tenths higher without any problems.

Ramshot Silhouette is the mirror image of WAP. I was looking for a powder to replace WAP (discontinued) in my 9x23 and someone directed me toward Ramshot Silhouette. After doing much research I found it is identical and works great.

Look in some of the old loading books and find WAP loading data.

Buddy

5.5. KKM Barrel

7.5 Sil

121 IFP MG

1.168 OAL

168 PF at every match.

Silhoutte is very linear in my testing so far. SD is very low even as you climb the PF ladder.

Note: These are my findings "Start lower in your gun and work up" all barrels are different!

...load had acceptable pressure signs and I worked up a couple of tenths higher without any problems...

Silhouette is very "forgiving," and you can certainly run higher without problems - I'm running 8.8 under 115's and 8.2 under 124's (DragonCat shorty w/3-port hybrid bbl + comp) with no pressure issues, and 5-6fps SD's...

Only issue I've noted, going from .38 Stupor & N350, is that Silhouette dirties the gun a lot faster...

b

Is this a compressed load?

b

Is this a compressed load?

No. I get 8.5 in my 9mm and it's not compressed.

I used 7.9 with a 125 zero JHP. Hey don't I know you? Same length ect . I have a Bedell shorty like Shawn

We might have crossed paths once or twice :cheers:

I thought you were using VV for your shorty, otherwise I would have send you an e-mail directly Randy.

I am working up a load for a friend shooting a Tubor while a waiting for Scott to finish my Caspian shorty.

Matt

Edited by matt2ace

I used 7.9 with a 125 zero JHP. Hey don't I know you? Same length ect . I have a Bedell shorty like Shawn

I thought you were using VV for your shorty, otherwise I would have send you an e-mail directly Randy.

I am working up a load for a friend shooting a Tubor while a waiting for Scott to finish my Caspian shorty.

Matt

When I first started loading the 9 I used the Ramshot. I liked it It was the same load I used in my .38. I switched to hs 6. I did not like the way it measured out for me when I was reloading. It fell from my powder measure like snow. Dan tells you to use vv3N37. I like the way the gun handles way better then the hs 6. I have never shot the ramshot and the VV side by side. I plan to after reading people find the two the same except the ramshot is much cheaper.

When are you shooting with us again?

Randy

When I first started loading the 9 I used the Ramshot. I liked it It was the same load I used in my .38. I switched to hs 6. I did not like the way it measured out for me when I was reloading. It fell from my powder measure like snow. Dan tells you to use vv3N37. I like the way the gun handles way better then the hs 6. I have never shot the ramshot and the VV side by side. I plan to after reading people find the two the same except the ramshot is much cheaper.

Randy

I just finished setting up my 550 with Silhouette and loaded up 50 rounds at 7.8gr for my friends Trubor. Seems to meter very consistent for me. I checked powder weight every 10 round and it was right on at 7.8gr.

I have my G24 setup for 9mm major (4-port barrel, no comp) using Power Pistol (6.4gr) and 147gr MGD (170PF). I will be shooting with it for the first time in a match on Sunday. Very soft, dot nevers leaves the optic. From my excperience, PP is not dense enough to get a load that will make major with a 124gr bullet, especially with the comp setups in most 1911 style pistols. Since I will have a Caspian by spring, I decide to try Silhouette based on posted in this forum.

I don't expect to get up to VT much before March.....when I hope to pick up my gun from Scott and shoot a match with it.

Matt

8.1 grn sillouette

121 IFP MG

Fed SRP

1.65 OL

170 PF

I've tried HS 6, nice dot movement, just to dirty for me.

6 pounds of Vit n37, fair dot movement, clean but heats gun up very fast. Also a pain while loading with powder spillage from a full case.

My 2nd pound of sillouette, seems to have the plus's of HS 6 and N37 so far! No negatives so far, plus its fairly cheap!

ccL

One thing I like about Silhouette from a reloading prespective is that it does not fill the case too the top (2/3 - 3/4 full at 7.8gr) when compared to some of the other powders I have read about. It does not appear that the load is compressed in 9mm major. This powder is much denser than many other powders which definitely helps limit any spillage in a progressive press (I have heard and read complaints about this problem from a number of 9mm major shooters).

Matt

Randy

Randy,

I have a Bedell shorty in 9mm and I honestly can't tell the difference between 3n37 and Sihouette. I have tried a couple of times on blind testing and was right once and wrong the other. YMMV but I now have 26 lbs of Silhouette in the closet.

I hear a lot about the Ramshot Sil(I'm not even going to try to spell that), but nothing on Ramshot True Blue. I recently had my Trubor converted to 9mm and I have always shot Ramshot True Blue. Anyone with this powder. Works really well in 38 super. Very clean and minimal dot movement. Very inexpensive. I haven't worked up any loads yet for the 9, but will and will post. In the meantime.... has anyone got a load for the True Blue?

Fourtrax,

There have been a few posts on Ramshot TB in this thread

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...mp;hl=9mm+major.

My experience was that when I got close to major in my gun it became very spiky from a pressure standpoint. I may be wrong on my exact numbers but IIRC I made 168ish pf with 7.8 gr with primers looking pretty decent. At 8.0 gr primers went completely flat and primer flow was excessive. I decided .2gr of cushion wasn't really enough for me. Silhouette performs easily as good or better and no pressure signs etc. YMMV

I am loading Ture Blue in my full size 9 mm open gun with no barrel holes.

7.6 gr True Blue

125 gr Zero JHP

Win SRP

1.157 OAL

170 PF

Thanks, that's good info. I'll be getting the racegun back from the smith any day now and I will start well below your load and work up. This Ramshot Silhouette is very interesting. Might have to try that after awhile.