Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GAME OR SPORT ?

Crisspie13

Ok first off i am ex military us special forces and am very familiar with firearms and have delt with them all my life. i have never done sport shooting and have wondered about my prodomenint shooting styel and everyone tells me it is ok. Now I feel very funny when people call this a Game. i was always tought from a young age that guns are not toys. you dont point them at anything you dont want to die. now am i wrong for feeling ackword about calling it a Game? i mean just because it is a sport dosent mean its a game right? i believe in safty first and that is it .. but is game a loose term??

Ok first off i am ex military us special forces and am very familiar with firearms and have delt with them all my life. i have never done sport shooting and have wondered about my prodomenint shooting styel and everyone tells me it is ok. Now I feel very funny when people call this a Game. i was always tought from a young age that guns are not toys. you dont point them at anything you dont want to die. now am i wrong for feeling ackword about calling it a Game? i mean just because it is a sport dosent mean its a game right? i believe in safty first and that is it .. but is game a loose term??

In the Olympics, they use pistols, rifles, swords, spears and hand to hand combat. They are called "games"! Don't sweat the nomenclature, come join us. And when you are with us, you will be sent packing if you do anything even close to unsafe. Come on out and check out a match. Our targets normally* do not return fire :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum and happy Veterans Day,

Chuck (a squid, a long time ago)

* sometime steel will splatter back, but that is about it.

The need for safety is there for all sports...football, tennis, NASCAR, etc.

Perhaps the difference between game and sport is one's level of involvement or dedication?

To me the two are fairly synonymous. Hockey, football, basketball etc... are all games - yet the amount of involvement and dedication even at ammature levels is tremendous.

Slav

Many sports are games. Many games aren't sports. Ours happens to be both - we have rules and keep score, and that pretty much makes it a game.... ;)

However, just because we keep score and have a rulebook doesn't mean we also are not fanatical about the safety aspects of things - as Micah pointed out, much like the car racing sports, we are very conscious of the immediate danger than can be involved with a firearm, and the rules are structured around that need. I have great respect for the lethality of my game gun (its as effective - if not more so - than my carry gun....), and I never point it at anything I wouldn't mind seeing holes appear in. You'll find that everyone in this game/sport/obsession feels the same way :)

I'd say all good posts. I would like to add that I do consider my guns 'toys'. I also view them as tools and weapons. In that order.

You've got to try sport shooting - actually doing it is a whole other world from spectating and just hearing about it. Too much fun...

Thank you all so much.. now that i have heard from more fellow enthusiast i feel little bit actulyl much more safe with the terms "toys' and "games" thank you .. it is just i didn't want to offend anyone by saying at a match somting like this ...

" man this game is fun it gives me a whole to way to play with my toys.."

and some one else saying

" You dumb basterd this isnt a game these arent toys and you cant play with them these are finley machined killing machines ... if used properly.."

but now that the fear of being turned away for such langauge has been extinguished..

"lets all get together with all of our TOYS and go out and PLAY a great GAME "

thanks again to you all and thank you for the heads up on veterans day it means alot.. to know that my part is appreciated.

It's a game and a sport. Beats the hell outta Monopoly, anyway...

My guns are tools, toys, and weapons.

It's all so much got-dang fun that I can scarcely believe it's legal some days, with the right weather and the right people hanging around.

And even absent that, it's pretty freakin' cool, isn't it?

Call it whatever you want, do it for whatever reason tickles your fancy...just do it!

SA

Call it whatever the heck you want. Just get out and have a good time with it. We all tend to get caught up in words sometimes. And, different words mean different things to different people.

How about calling it a martial arts competition? That is really what it is.

OMG he went and said it. Somebody call the admin before this thread turns into another holy war!

Call it whatever the heck you want. Just get out and have a good time with it. We all tend to get caught up in words sometimes. And, different words mean different things to different people.

How about calling it a martial arts competition? That is really what it is.

<_< I learned the same way = not to point the gun at anything I am not willing to destroy, Including toy guns from the time I was given my first rifle at age 10. That still is true for me, the guns I use for this "Game" are Firearms not weapons I like to say "I have many Firearms and a few Weapons"

I will not participate in the paint ball games & or air soft games that require me to point the ...Toy at another humans.

I do know personally of 3 people that are alive today because of one mans skills learned at this "game" His ability to respond saved himself and two others. = he Acted fast and accurate . A gang attacked them buy busting through the door of his shop with guns shooting. the gang members that survived thought they had been set-up. Because one man could not have draw a gun from a table and shot that fast.

As it turns out the Gang was put up to "Do some Killing" to prove they were though.