Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got my new 686 SSR today

striker spring

wow. nice. :) i like the grip tape idea. i never tought of applying grip tape to a nice set of grips but your gun reminded me of the "function over form" motto.

Edited by yoshidaex

wow. nice. :) i like the grip tape idea. i never tought of applying grip tape to a nice set of grips but your gun reminded me of the "function over form" motto.

Thanks.They come like that. Its in the wood grips. The grips are the best I felt on a revolver so far. The trigger is perfect I thought I was going to have to do trigger work before I bought it but its really nice. Better than the 627 I tried. The 4 inch barrel is well ballanced compared to the 627. But the 627 has a 5 inch barrel and a N frame. I am real happy with it and I am glad I found one,

Edited by striker spring

Is the grip frame round butt or square butt? I really like those grips, but with my luck they're for a RB.

All it takes is a little time with Dr Dremel to turn it into a RB :lol:

Jerry

Thanks.They come like that. Its in the wood grips. The grips are the best I felt on a revolver so far. The trigger is perfect I thought I was going to have to do trigger work before I bought it but its really nice. Better than the 627 I tried. The 4 inch barrel is well ballanced compared to the 627. But the 627 has a 5 inch barrel and a N frame. I am real happy with it and I am glad I found one,

Is that a standard production gun or from the PC?

Thanks. It has a round butt. It is suposed a production gun. But from what I heard they are going to make a run and then discontue them. They said that about the 44mag Mountain gun also and they always bring it back for another run. I think they will be around for a while. When I get a chance to weigh it I will.

Those grips look to be relieved more behind the triggerguard. I know this should help get the hand (especially small hands) higher on the gun, but does it beat on the middle finger any? I know you are shooting minor , but sometimes you can still feel these little nuiances.

Those grips look to be relieved more behind the triggerguard. I know this should help get the hand (especially small hands) higher on the gun, but does it beat on the middle finger any? I know you are shooting minor , but sometimes you can still feel these little nuiances.

I don't have a problem with my middle finger on the way I hold the gun but like I said I am only shooting 6.8 grains of Unique with a 158 SWC. Things might change when I work up some hotter loads. I will find out this weekend. No matter what I just like the way the grips make you hold high on the gun. Its much more comfortable and for me I am a more accurate shot holding high like this.

I doubt it. Here are a couple of my guns; the top one (M681) is my ESR gun. The grips are by Craig Spegel. I've also shot 170 PF loads in my M13 with the same grips, and they're about the most comfortable I've found.

CombatRevolver.jpg

Whats a real nice feature of the 686 SSR is that you can change the front sights in one second. I just ordered a fiber optic front sight for it.

Nice looking gun. What price did you pay, if you don't mind me asking.

John

I paid $675 for it.

YEOWW! Out here that would be classified as stealing.....

I doubt it. Here are a couple of my guns; the top one (M681) is my ESR gun. The grips are by Craig Spegel. I've also shot 170 PF loads in my M13 with the same grips, and they're about the most comfortable I've found.

CombatRevolver.jpg

The Spegels are indeed nice, but they have just a hair bit more wood curving down the backside of the trigger guard which would make them more comfortable in my book. The ones on the SSR do not quite fill in behind the guard as do the Spegel . I am sure all this is slight , but sometimes the smallest things add comfort.

I do like those Spegels though! :rolleyes:

It's supposed to be part of their new "Pro Series." Here is how they spin it:

The Smith & Wesson Pro Series are the next step up from the production line while still remaining true to “stock.” Bringing competition specifications and features to factory models, the Pro Series offer that ready-to-go package while still maintaining production line integrity.

-JIm

A new production series called PRO.

Tom