Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video games for winter season practice

ap3

For the USPSA/IPSC Competitor who has everything....almost!

Sport Shooting USA

For that price you could set up one hell of an airsoft range in the basement and practice movement etc.

Just a thought....

Duck hunt was awsome for the time it came out . Many hours of fun .

Travis F.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few PS2 games that use a light gun (Time Crisis 3, Vampire Nights, etc.). There's one coming out for the PS3, too. The trigger is really just a game controller button, which isn't much help for trigger control. I thought about installing some sort of "real" trigger or tearing the gun apart and mating the mechanism with some other platform (Airsoft?), but never got around to it.

When I first started shooting I found myself focusing on the target and either point-shooting or superimposing the gun over the target. Then I made the effort to consciously focus on the front sight, and it improved my scores. I don't know if it helped my shooting, but it was a lot of fun.

The only thing I see possibly really suplimenting dry fire is this:

Flash Focus, Vision Training

http://flashfocus.net/

http://flashfocus.net/howto.jsp

description:

Product Features

* Boost Your Focus Power - Train with quick, fun activities based on vision-training programs used by top athletes.

* Put eyes to real-world tests - Take a swing at a speeding pitch, outmaneuver incoming linebackers and strike the soccer ball into the goal in fun, sports-based training activities.

* Pick up and play every day - Users complete daily training activities to challenge Hand-Eye Coordination, Peripheral Vision, Dynamic Visual Acuity, Momentary Vision and Eye Movement, then track their results with a calendar and easy-to-understand charts.

* Symbol Order - Three symbols flash on the screen in any of the 12 boxes. One symbol appears at a time for only a split second. The challenge is to remember each symbol and then enter all three symbols in the order in which they appeared

* Box Tap - Furiously tap a series of moving red boxes before they disappear. The more users successfully tap, the higher the score

Seems like a good visual awareness training aid.... Would rather spend $ on ammo than a nintendo DS to try it, though....

Would be cool if there was a PC version for $20...

-rvb

Edited by rvb

• 2 weeks later...

With its motion sensing remotes, the Wii may have the most potential for decent shooting games. There are a few decent looking gun remotes available now, but I am waiting for this one to get to the US (scroll down to W14)

W14 Piranha Wii Gun

Now if someone would just port the Shooting Sports game to the Wii, we would be set for the winter.

Edited by DWPatriot

• 3 weeks later...

I am having my eye doc check into the Flash Focus system to see if it could be beneficial.I'll post the findings & would also like other shooters,trainers,etc to post their findings.I'd rather spend my $s elsewhere but winter weather means reduced shooting & old eyes can always use any/all help.

With its motion sensing remotes, the Wii may have the most potential for decent shooting games. There are a few decent looking gun remotes available now, but I am waiting for this one to get to the US (scroll down to W14)

W14 Piranha Wii Gun

Now if someone would just port the Shooting Sports game to the Wii, we would be set for the winter.

That is a net looking gun. After everyones comments on this thread I spent a bunch of time on a Wii playing John Madden Football and a little bit of Resident Evil. Football was fun but did not teach me a lot. The Resident Evil game would really push your reflexes, and you had to be careful not to over under underswing targets. I believe the game or one like it would be good for training yout eye tohand coordination for indexing targets.

I think this games have a lot of training potential. It would also be like using cross traing to keep a person from getting bored.

Anybody know a software writer that could convert the Shooting Sports game to Wii?

I am having my eye doc check into the Flash Focus system to see if it could be beneficial.I'll post the findings & would also like other shooters,trainers,etc to post their findings.I'd rather spend my $s elsewhere but winter weather means reduced shooting & old eyes can always use any/all help.

Well, flash focus is actually kind of fun, mostly the sports games though.

About the only thing I can say for it from a shooting standpoint is that my dominant eye isn't all that dominant, and I had been having issues with my non-dominant eye stealing focus periodically, espcially if I aquired a target with my eyes moving from right ot left rather than left to right. I've been playing with it for the last two months, and haven't had that issue since, but that's likely just because of the extra time spent on practicing focus, and not particularly due to the method of practicing.

i have seen this system a few times and it is a lot of fun. they had one set up at the Ft Benning match this weekend. Not sure on cost...

Laser Shot

That is one of the best ways to kill time at a match when you are waiting on results. CMMG had a similar set-up one year while we wiated on results.

Edited by ap3

Wait. There's a Pirmanti's in WV? That just doesn't sound right.

There isn't a Primanti's in WV. The one I was talking about in on RT 60 in Crafton/Robinson Area and they have the Sports Shooting Game.

• 3 weeks later...