Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video games for winter season practice

ap3

I gave my wife a Nintendo DS Lite for Christmas, and while shopping for games for her new system I stumbled across FLASH FOCUS.

Soooo.....Naturally I bought it for HER. (Yeah Right).

I've been playing it on her system everyday since Christmas. I Highly, HIGHLY recommend at least trying it for yourself. If your kid has a DS, or even if you have one, do yourself a favor and try it out. The exercises are extremely varied, and specifically design to stress five basic Eye skills:

-Dynamic Visual Acuity

-Hand Eye Coordination

-Peripheral Vision

-Momentary Vision

-Eye Movement

The game has various types of exercises divided into Core Training, and Sports Training. The system includes a skill test that results in a rating system (termed: "Eye Age"). Based on your individual skills and weaknesses, which are tracked and recorded by the system, a daily training routine is tailored for your skill set.

Like anything else, many of the games may or may not be useful to the shooter, but alot of them are very, very IPSC oriented.

Quick overview of a couple of my personal favorites for shooter skills:

-Box Tap: Starting with a blank screen, on signal, 1cm x 1cm squares appear one at a time on the screen for 2-3 seconds. You must tap the squares with the stylus before they disappear. The further into it you get the faster they appear, and disappear. The tempo takes about 15 seconds to go through 40 squares. Excerise focuses on Hand Eye Cooordination, Momentary Vision, and Dynamic Visual Acuity.

-Basketball: This game focuses on seeing, and identifying targets rapidly. Starting with a view of an empty Basketball court, 2-7 players in either red or white jerseys randomly appear on the screen for a brief glimpse (1/2 - 2 Seconds) after which all players on the court are blacked out silohuette style. You must tap only the silohuettes of the players who were wearing white Jerseys(your Teamates) before the time runs out (about 3 seconds). Focuses on memory, Momentary Vision, and Hand Eye Coordination.

-Number Flash: Starting with a blank screen, a countdown timer begins, afterwhich a number (starting with a one digit number, and eventually increasing upto nine digits) will flash on the screen once, for only a split second (starting at 1 sec, and eventually dropping to around .1). After that a number pad appears on the screen, and you punch in what number you just saw (i.e.- 9947812, which you only saw for .40 sec). Focuses on Momentary Vision, and memory.

These are only a few of the 10-12 excercises the game has (only six are available at first, but as you progress through the daily training routines, a new exercise unlocks everday). All of the exercises are good and almost all of them apply to shooting skills.

"Flash Focus" for the Nintendo DS is absolutely worth taking a look at if you get the opportunity.

I'm going to post this review as a new thread too.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my kid showed me the Nintendo DS visual training I gave it a try: it came out I have a visual age of 20 ... :D

I think I'm happy and will retire while I'm still the undisputed family champ ... :lol:

Yeah, That's the way to do it. Retire Undefeated/Stay Undefeated. Smart.

I have to keep defending my title from the wife the and kid.

• 10 months later...
I have been thinking of getting the kids a Wii for Xmas and noticed the "newer" controller for Wii shooting games. Anyone know of any good shooting games that Nintendo has put out for the Wii?

802826b.jpg

I have that, the grip sucks ass but i deal with it. I play the shooting game on Wii Play, that is pretty fun but don't know of any other games that are out there you can practice with.

I would recommend picking this game with every console purchase and the Gun thing is only $15. I also got Resident Evil 4 (doesn't use the gun -might be able to but would be hard) and that is a hell of a good game. There is Chicken shoot and Ravin rabbits, Unlimited Duck hunting, and some others that are gun game but not sure how well these game are when using the Gun controller. I really like the Wii Play game just because it gives you major bonus points for accuracy.

Edited by Coolduckboy

I just bought one of those last night...with a FIT. I haven't had the chance to use the pistol yet. But one of the first person shooters works with it one of the WWII games - version 2. You may have noticed how saavy I am at this...I had to have the guy at the store talk to the 13 YO and tell me what would work. :closedeyes:

lol, My whole Family comes to me for advice on which games to get and how to fix their computer. it is halarious.

Ghost Squad should work with it. It is a game like Time Crisis where it is mostly an Arcade type style of shooting (aka Like the games you put quarters in). http://wii.ign.com/objects/903/903769.html

The house of the Dead 2 & 3 will most likely support it was well being ti used to be an Arcade game. http://wii.ign.com/objects/142/14219348.html#reviews (i will see if i can confirm it later)

Edited by Coolduckboy

There was an old arcade style shooting game that had skill drills as the game. You had a partime and point requirement to beat at each level. Do you remember that one. That is what I am looking for. I just can't remember the name of the game.... :wacko:

There was an old arcade style shooting game that had skill drills as the game. You had a partime and point requirement to beat at each level. Do you remember that one. That is what I am looking for. I just can't remember the name of the game.... :wacko:

Hogan's Alley?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogan's_Alley_(arcade_game)

http://wii.ign.com/articles/833/833766p1.html - Medal of Honor Heroes 2 that is the game you got right HK? tell me how ya like it.

That is the one...but 13 YO didn't like the pistol as he had learned to play with the Wii "sticks"

I'll let you know though.

"when I was a kid we had one button and one stick...and we liked it!" - Grumpy old man