Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video games for winter season practice

ap3

I have read a couple of articles that state 1st person video games are excellent for improving hand to eye coordination and sharpening reflexes.

Does anyone have any experience to share? What are you favorite games for this?

I know dry firing has a lot of value, but I am lookng for something for crosstraining that is more neurological.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read a couple of articles that state 1st person video games are excellent for improving hand to eye coordination and sharpening reflexes.

I know dry firing has a lot of value, but I am lookng for something for crosstraining that is more neurological.

I'm not sure if you are referring to FPS games as in a "Hogan's Alley" type game but if you mean a FPS like Halo or COD...read on.

I'm an avid FPS player and a new shooter just approaching my first full year of shooting. I would not expect too much in the area of hand-to-eye coordination, but I will vouch for the reflex improvement. This is particularly true with the faster pace games I prefer like the COD series on Xbox 360. COD2 was pretty fast and COD4 was even faster in the beta version I played. We usually play with "friendly-fire" enabled to discourage the grenade aerial assaults that some teams do. This gives you a very small fraction of time to determine if the figure you ran into is friend or foe and then be able to react in time to get a shot off in time. COD4 moves so fast that if you round a corner and see someone looking at you...you are most likely dead by then....at least in my group of friends.

I'm convinced the friendly-fire avoidance training works. The very first time I went to an open-shoot practice session I was a total beginner. I had never shot on the move, behind cover, etc. It was pretty obvious I was way behind the curve as compared to the rest of the group. But, there was one stage we did where they made us turn around while then arranged the targets randomly with no-shoots in random places. I was surprised with myself how fast I was able to run through that stage with no mistakes.

My past hobbies (RC Airplanes, RC Helicopters, Dirtbike Racing) have all benefited some amount from good FPS games. I firmly believe they help with your hand eye coordination. You do need to be careful with which game you choose. For example chaotic online sessions don't seem to help as much as a organized Single player game where you use more controlled movements. There are always others simple things you can do to speed up your movements such as playing catch or just bouncing a ball off the wall and catching it. Anything to speed up reaction times. I find the more of these activities you do the faster your hands and your brain get. Pretty soon things that seem fast are perceived as much slower and easier to do.

For a good example of this video a few draws and reloads during dryfire than review them right after doing them. I'd noticed little actions and subtleties that I thought were SLOW and obvious but when you watch them in replay can't notice a thing.

Edited by KSmoker

I dont know if they have helped me much. I play mainly COD2, like wickedbag said,

you will get some reflex and poss. aquisition training. If you want that really fast

paced training you have to play the multiplayer online games and not just the solo

home game. Thats when things get really going, but WARNING highly addictive!!!!!

I came across the ultimate IPSC video game called Sport Shooting USA. It was made by the SEGA corporation, but the only problem is they only made it for coin operated arcade games. Has anyone ever seen a similiar type game for a game system.

sportsshootingusa.pdf

I came across the ultimate IPSC video game called Sport Shooting USA. It was made by the SEGA corporation, but the only problem is they only made it for coin operated arcade games. Has anyone ever seen a similiar type game for a game system.

sportsshootingusa.pdf

I posted about that same game during the summer. I had stumbed on it while at the beach. It looks like it has huge potential for fun, but unfortunately, the guns were WAY off and I was horribly dissapointed. I ended up playing Area 51 all week instead, which was actually pretty good as it was pretty fast and required quick reflexes.

sportsshootingusa.pdf

I posted about that same game during the summer. I had stumbed on it while at the beach. It looks like it has huge potential for fun, but unfortunately, the guns were WAY off and I was horribly dissapointed. I ended up playing Area 51 all week instead, which was actually pretty good as it was pretty fast and required quick reflexes.

I orginally saw it in a Wal-Mart and found the same thing on the guns. It would be a great practice game if you could get it for a PC or home game system.

Edited by ap3

sportsshootingusa.pdf

I orginally saw it in a Wal-Mart and found the same thing on the guns. It would be a great practice game if you could get it for a PC or home game system.

I wish they would make a limited version. :D

sportsshootingusa.pdf

+1

Came across this game in an airport where the guns had been replaced with "regular" iron sighted notch and post guns, from house of the dead or whatever (guess the originals broke?). One gun was reasonably sighted in, the other needed about a 15 or 20 degree deflection fo the muzzle to hit the the target. Oh well, still a fun game.