Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FL Limited 08 - What if?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More prize table thoughts, before PaulW pimp slaps me and I have to go to bed....

Bringing some of the concepts from the FL Single Stack and things I was thinking about, but never got to try.

What if;

Let's say hypothetically we "fill up" and between Staff and Shooters, we see 170 post scores. That means I would strive to have 17 guns on the prize table.

I'll pull one at least for the staff. (16 left)

Top 10 by order of finish tour the table and choose probably a gun. (6 left)

We draw names AT RANDOM for the remaining 6. One prize per, and if you get drawn for a gun, you do not tour the table in your regular "order of finish" spot.

How would that be?

Also, I figure High Lady, Senior, Junior and LEO deserve a Free Shoot for the following year, if there is one.

Lastly, how about a "TEAM" competition? Each team would be three members, one major high cap, one minor high cap, and a swingle stacker. We'd see STI paired, with Springfields, and Glocks. Now there's diverse, inclusive unity!!!! Winning team gets, I dunno, something, and give them a discount for signing up together. Any interest there?

Just random musings... keep the feedback coming.

Since this is a "bootleg" match the scoring will be the same for major and minor right?

........................right?

;)

Nope, sorry, but I would make sure to put up at least one 23 or 24 round all paper stage to give those shooting "airsoft+" guns a shot at a "no reload" stage win.

And check out the "TEAM" idea above. Shoot minor, your team needs you. :lol:

And just wait until you see the chrono idea I have. Let's just say it's inspired by World Champions.

Edited by dirtypool40

And Leo, I get your point, and your a buddy. I'm not trying to exclude you, and the configuration is not final, just an idea. But for now I want to talk about it like it would be a Limited Only, head's up rumble. (You can borrow one of my Limited guns, btw).

It's OK to exclude Leo!

Not sure if this is your intent but it sure is the message you are sending:

Limited only but no classes no divisions, but by the way gonna have a top this, top that ,top the other, so am basically creating my own divisions and classes, but hey all you C class production shooters please attend so we can use your money to beef up the prize table me and my buds are gonna pick from.

Limited only but no classes no divisions, but by the way gonna have a top this, top that ,top the other, so am basically creating my own divisions and classes, but hey all you C class production shooters please attend so we can use your money to beef up the prize table me and my buds are gonna pick from.

:mellow: Damn, that was harsh.

We have "one division only" matches all the time. The Single Stack only matches have been fun and once people got the concept, they became pretty popular. There are Production Only matches. I've shot both of those.

No, I'm not running a match as some sort of "reverse Robin Hood" robbing from the poor C-Production shooters (who I probably won't let finish the match anyway, or even post their scores <_< ), to give to "my buds", I'm trying to put on a high cap, Limited Division Rumble.

:mellow: Damn, that was harsh.

We have "one division only" matches all the time. The Single Stack only matches have been fun and once people got the concept, they became pretty popular. There are Production Only matches. I've shot both of those.

No, I'm not running a match as some sort of "reverse Robin Hood" robbing from the poor C-Production shooters (who I probably won't let finish the match anyway, or even post their scores <_< ), to give to "my buds", I'm trying to put on a high cap, Limited Division Rumble.

A match like this is a perfect way to test out the opposing theories. My guess is that once people find a fun match they'll go as much for the fun and socializing as for the expectation of winning a pistol.

A match like this is a perfect way to test out the opposing theories. My guess is that once people find a fun match they'll go as much for the fun and socializing as for the expectation of winning a pistol.

EXACTLY!!! That what I was after when we put together the FL Single Stack. I like to throw a party,and I have different ideas about how I might make it memorable.

I thought about another single stack, but it's being done.

I thought about an all open match, but there just aren't enough out there to fill it up. And besides, they're LOUD!!!

I thought about an international IPSC rules match, Open and Prod would be fine, but it would be hard to fill out a Standard field and I'd want to put it before the World Shoot, and it'd be just too hot here in FL.

I thought about a regular ole' USPSA match, but it's being done in the two sectionals, and Monster Match.

I thought about Production only, but cutting things up 10+1 is too lock step for me. Who knows, running a production only HIGH CAP match is a possibility.

So I ended up coming back to my favorite division, Limited. Good ole, High cap, major powered, iron sights, get creative and aggressive LIMITED.

I heard a lot of the same objections when we put together the 2000 FL Single Stack. "Can't I shoot my GLock if I load 8+1?", "Why are you excluding us?", "I have this old single stack open gun....", "but, not everyone has a single stack...", "But what about Cliff and his Revo???" (I think I have Limited guns for rent Sunday Cliff, pm me, we want you)

Sure there was short learning curve, but I put the rules up on a website, answered a lot of emails and questions at matches, and on match day had well over 100 shooters at our first one day match, and exactly zero equipment issues. Turns out folks got behind the idea and we had a blast. I courted the IDPA shooters and had a lot of them join us, both years.

I have a lot of energy and fun I try to put into matches, even stages when I help out locally. Things likea FIELD COURSE shoot off, a team shoot off, a team competition for the match, and some different "special" awards, like giving away a "hig Tactical", and "high compact" at our single stack matches.

At this one we might have a Team trophy, high lady, senior, Junior, minor and single stack.

Come on down, you'll have fun.

Edited by dirtypool40

I can see Joe4D's point. I can also see your's. For the most part, the lower class shooters would be the ones footing the bill. The M's and GM's reap the rewards. I would think the Lewis system would be the fairest way to score the match. ALL shooters right down to the D class would have a chance at a gun. All this being said, I would bring the SP01 and shoot Limited minor. :cheers:

DaG

I think the biggest problem people are having with this idea (I'm not one) is the $200.00 price and no u,d,c,b,a,m,gm class win prizes. If you cut the cost and the prizes you're probably more likely to get more people interested in the concept of a no class match.

Yes, I know how the last three words make a pun.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

For all the folks who complain about not being good enough to win a gun, please realize the gun is not worth the the cost if that is why you would go. Add the airfare/gas, hotel, meals and that is one expensive prize. If you want to spend $200 for a lottery gun, you can do that without going to a match. If you want to go test your skills and have fun, go for it.

Heck, I'll give you a one in 10 chance of winning a gun with the procedes going to the USPSA Junior program all day long if If I can get 10 folks to give it a go.

I think the Limited match is a fine idea, it isn't for everyone, but so what, no match is.

For all the folks who complain about not being good enough to win a gun, please realize the gun is not worth the the cost if that is why you would go. Add the airfare/gas, hotel, meals and that is one expensive prize. If you want to spend $200 for a lottery gun, you can do that without going to a match. If you want to go test your skills and have fun, go for it.

Heck, I'll give you a one in 10 chance of winning a gun with the procedes going to the USPSA Junior program all day long if If I can get 10 folks to give it a go.

I think the Limited match is a fine idea, it isn't for everyone, but so what, no match is.

WELL SAID

1st - sounds like a fun match, DP!! And what a concept, actually shooting head to head!!

Let's get serious folks - if your only reason for shooting a match is what's on the prize table then you're well past the law of diminishing returns. I've been shooting competitively, starting with IDPA in '99 and then transitioning to USPSA a couple years ago and I've "won" a grand total of two items worth more than $100 off the prize table. TWO.

Yet somehow, I dare say I've spent more than $200 on matches in the last 7-8 years.

I go to matches that are fun, creative and give me a chance to hang out with like minded souls.

Nice prize tables a cool gift for everyone are really cool; but that's just icing on the cake.

Getting to test myself against my friends and the best in the business are what gets me to a match because that, my friends, is priceless.

I'd be more worried about DP getting married and his new wife telling him to quit shooting than I would about this match being a dud. ;)

+1 I also LOVE TO SHOOT. This is just another way not to call it Sectional II or Monster Match B.

I think the biggest problem people are having with this idea (I'm not one) is the $200.00 price and no u,d,c,b,a,m,gm class win prizes. If you cut the cost and the prizes you're probably more likely to get more people interested in the concept of a no class match.

I get that Daniel, but again, you gotta look at the FL Open. There's too much sandbagging to REWARD it with an early trip to the prize table.

Another idea, instead of the hated LEWIS system, might be to treat the match as a classifier, 1st 85-95% is 1st M. But then folks would cry they are over classed. If people want to be graded on a curve, and then we award prizes based on that curve, what are we promoting? (One classifier every 90 days, and oh look, I hacked a no-shoot... again. Damn that's a shame. Shux, I guess I'm still a D for the Area match this year.) Ever notice how many local shooters will skip a match juuuust before Sectional or FL Open because they are afraid the classifier mightpost and ruin their carefully groomed classification?

There are only two fair ways to award prizes. Completely random drawing and raw order of finish.

At this match there are no classes. It's a shooting CONTEST. We want to see how well you SHOOT, not manage a computed ranking. Just one guy's idea.

Keep it coming....

>>At this match there are no classes. It's a shooting CONTEST. We want to see how well you SHOOT, not manage a computed ranking. Just one guy's idea.

Keep it coming....<<

If the intent is a "shooting CONTEST," then do it for $75 and forget the prize table entirely.