Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

20 or 22 cal is your best bet. I have a 25, and while powerful, has the approximate trajectory of a hand-flung manhole cover.

If you're in close proximity to others, I would go no larger than 177 to keep the danger of errant rounds to a minimum.

Strongly consider a middle of the road spring piston. You only have to cock it once and you get full power. As an owner of a super-magnum spring gun, I would recommend *not* getting one. They look great on paper. Reality is a bit different. 900 to 1000 fps is plenty of speed and will keep the noise down.

RWS diana makes some quality air rifles,I have a model 48 I use for the occasional blackbird or irritating neighbor's cat, side cocking ,single pellet about 1100fps pretty good accuracy . Get quality pellets that helps with the accuracy.

Scott

Ron,

Beeman is (I think still) located in northern CA so you can run by there place and check out the full line. Them and RWS are probably the best. Nothing wrong with the pumps, especially 'cause it's good time for BS'in in between shots.

Rich

We have squirrels gnawing on the wood of our house - this has seriously irritated my wife. I bought my wife a "hunter" grade GAMO 177 "one pump" air rifle with a 4x scope on sale at Academy. My wife slays squirrels on a regular basis with the standard 177 pellets.

My small pest rifle is a Daisy Powerline 1000 purchased at Walmart.

If you get one don't bother putting on the scope. The rings are worthless and the setup will not hold a zero. Iron sights are good enough for what were using it for. The trigger was heavy and gritty. There is one spring in the back part of the trigger group that if you cut one coil off the trigger weight becomes almost OK. A little sanding with 400 grit on the right places will knock off the burrs and clean up the feel.

Since a gopher is your intended target I'd go with a .22 rather than a .177. A .177 pellet is around 8gr going 1000fps for a energy of 17.7 ft/lb while the .22 pellet is around 15gr going 800fps for 21.3 ft/lb. Forget those high tech PBA pellets. Go with a lead heavy weight pointed pellet for penetration. You may have to try a few different brands to find what your rifle likes.

My favorite airgun retail site is www.airgundepot.com. Another good one is http://www.pyramydair.com.

Off topic a bit but if you really want some fun while teaching yourself some solid skills, get yourself a quality target .177 air rilfe. Mine is a Daisy 753 and it will drill one small hole at 10 meters. I'm having a ball doing 4-position work in the back yard.

We have squirrels gnawing on the wood of our house - this has seriously irritated my wife. I bought my wife a "hunter" grade GAMO 177 "one pump" air rifle with a 4x scope on sale at Academy. My wife slays squirrels on a regular basis with the standard 177 pellets.

+1 Mine came with some nice, fine Truglo FO sights too.

A short barreled .22lr + some Aquila Super Colibri rounds is great as well. Even quieter than my Gammo.

Edited by chp5

If you've never shot something like this you don't know what you're missing. Zero recoil and accuracy to die for. If you don't know, the C-T-C number is it's accuracy...in fractions of an inch. You will never, ever want a spring gun again.

Tech Force 79

The Tech Force® 79 has been praised for its outstanding accuracy. Although not yet classified by the NRA as either a sporter or a competition rifle, this new rifle has the features to qualify it for both classifications, including a sleek competition style stock, a competition diopter peep sight and interchangeable front sight inserts. It is powered by CO2 and can be filled by using two standard CO2 cartidges. The rifle also comes with standard open sights and is grooved for mounting a scope. The single stage trigger is adjustable for both pull and travel. Overall Length: 40"; Weight: 6.6lbs; C-T-C 0.08.

The Gamo is good and so are some by Crossman. My Crossman is a .177 caliber pellet type pump model 2100... with a 4 X 20 Burris scope.

I like that design because you can vary the power by adding more pumps. One pump takes car of a small bird or chip monk at close range 4 pumps will knock down a squirrel at 40 feet.

I had several "gas" guns and had bad luck with all. They leak.

The single cock spring piston guns are the way to go for ease, power and accuracy.

I have an RWS model 54 that will shoot through a 2X4. I practice shooting aspirin tablets its that accurate, a good scope is mandatory.

However it is heavy. If I bought another it would be a model 52.

I got the Gamo Extreme Hunter claiming to do 1600 fps. First time out it wouldn't even do 1000 fps, called them up and started to tell them my displeasure. The service person interupted me and said send it in and they would fix it. Upon its return back to the range to chrono and the first shot went 1575 fps and went down to 1485 fps. It has stayed there since, not quite 1600 but it will do.

It's too loud to shoot around the house to go unnoticed. It comes with a 3X9 illuminated dot scope, it's heavy. It is accurate and fun to shoot.

Rich

You may want to check the regulations for your county. In my area, a pellet gun that generates >600fps meets the definition of a "firearm".

I picked up a IZH-46m. It has the best trigger of anything I own & it's nice and quiet to punch paper in the garage with just a small silent pellet trap. It's done a fair job at keeping the house-eating critters in check too.

http://www.airguninfo.com/46index.shtml