Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger SR9

Middle Man

Compared to earlier bricks from Ruger, this one ain't so bad.

Even compared to other brands it looks pretty good.

I am certainly not a Ruger fan, but I agree w/ Patrick's observation that this appears to be an improvement over the P-89 9mm I once owned. Please to see additional brand competition among (soon to be approved) Production division guns. Not sure why they put a thumb safety on it though.

+1 Carlos.

The link in your signature line is also the reason I would not buy anything made by Ruger.

+10000000, I sold all of my rugers and never plan to buy another one and I bitch at my father when he buys anything ruger.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current management will still not allow us "simple civilians" to buy a Ruger Mini-14 magazine over 5 rounds - just as it was under Bill Ruger. Here is the link: LINK TO RUGER'S RIFLE MAGAZINE ORDER PAGE The fact that some wholesalers choose to violate their sales agreements with Ruger & let factory 20 rounders slip into civilian hands says nothing about Ruger's corporate policy against civilians owning rifle magazines over 5 or 10 rounds. Heck, even H&K 416 uppers are out there for sale; that does not mean they were ever intended for us civilians, even if they are lawful to own.

Apparently Ruger's management & corporate policy has not changed much since Bill Ruger passed away. In contrast, S&W was owned by a Brittish concern when they signed a deal with our former president. I understand that the new owners have nothing to do with the former owners, though they could have gone further to renounce the agreement.

But to each his own. My original post actually says something kind & optimistic about Ruger's new offering.

Got to handle on and dry fire it at Vances in Columbus yesterday. I think the comparision to a Sigma is a good one especially regarding the trigger pull. It was long, but seemed to break sonner than a Sigma. Maybe some pistolsmiths will be able to do trigger jobs like they do on the M&P. If not I don't see me buying one, but I do think it felt better than their P95, which I heard will be discontinued.

A local gunshop got four yesterday. It sits low in your hands like a Glock. The grip angle seems good for me, but the trigger needs a whole lot of improvement.

I guessed that the street price would be around $399.00, to try and blow Glock out of the water. It was priced $499.99. At that price I don't believe Glock has anything to worry about.

So will the Army, sooner or later Army is gonna award a new contract, my bet is on some kinda polymer striker fired manual safety gun.

If what I ship to the US Govt is any indication, the Glock 19 is the new official US sidearm.

JD & Gary - what was your impression of the trigger re-set?

A little long, but very positive and audible.

the first units shipping are more $ because its some kind of limited run thing, it ships with a CRKT logoed knife.

Later models will probably run low $400's.

Put 6,800 rounds through the SR9 in the first day (Yes, 6,800, I had help) for a grand total of zero malfs.

And if you plan to judge the trigger by dry-firing it, make sure the magazine is in: with it out the striker drags on the magazine safety, and makes the trigger pull feel really crappy.

That gun has some real potential. The one thing I liked about the trigger that I played with is that when it breaks it snaps and feels more like a 1911 than a Glock or XD. The total length of travel was pretty long but so is the stock XD. It is just a matter of time before someone figures out how to shorten the stroke with a sub three pound pull.

Selling for $525 here w the knife.

Can't wait for the SR40/357/45 compact and tactical models...

The US Army has bought Berettas, SIGs, Rugers, S&Ws and Glocks for our allies. About 120,000 Glocks and 70,000 Sigmas to the sandboxes. The Army's new AWG (Asymmetrical Warfare Group) did buy a couple hundred G19s for themselves.

I didn't check for trigger reset either and in fairness to the pistol the magazine was out when I dried fired it. Perhaps as Mr. Sweeney suggests that was the reason the trigger pull felt so crappy. I guess I need t try the pistol again to give it a another chance.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been firing an SR9 all week.

Fits OK so far in Fobus for M&P, XD, and USP. Blackhawk CQC for G21. Done Hume thumb break 3 slot for USP. Not hard to fit.

What I don't like: mag button hard to push when mags are loaded (OK empty). Mags hard to load w FMJ (OK w JHPs). Would rather have polished sides on slide matte finished like the rest.

Neutral: Safety never fails to go off when I wipe it, first time/every time, but sometimes I can't tell if I did it; don't hear/feel anything, but it's off.

What I like: everything else.

...but the trigger needs a whole lot of improvement.

JD & Gary - what was your impression of the trigger re-set?

I never checked it. I was done after I snapped it twice.

I got to check one out about a few hours ago, and I felt the same about it. I think I actually threw up in my mouth a tiny bit. That's the most creep I've ever felt. Seriously, as bad as a cheap stock AR trigger. Maybe even worse.

But, most of us would redo a stock trigger anyway, even if it was half way decent out of the box.

Other than that, I thought it felt nice, looked nice, but pointed low, and the safety is near completely useless. Way too high and to far back and too slim to be able to get to without thinking about it.

Picked mine up last week.... first Ruger product I've ever owned.

Fit and finish is above par, fired 250 rounds of American Eagle FMJ ammo w/o a hitch.

Shot 3/3.5 inch groups at 25 yards...will most likely improve with a better brand of ammo.

Like the beavertail, safety works as designed, gun overall is a good product.

Plan on using it in IDPA matches in '08. Trigger is decent, have no intentions on modifying it, let it wear in over time.

Sight choices would be nice though....

A local gunshop got four yesterday. It sits low in your hands like a Glock. The grip angle seems good for me, but the trigger needs a whole lot of improvement.

I guessed that the street price would be around $399.00, to try and blow Glock out of the water. It was priced $499.99. At that price I don't believe Glock has anything to worry about.

they are for sale in connectucut shops for 420-430 I tried one today

Accuracy B+

Point ability A-

Ergonomics A

Recoil A

Price A

Trigger NFG :sick:

If a trigger job is possible and reliability reports start coming positive I just may purchase My first Ruger . I am not sure about my reservations of the company. Mr. Ruger is dead and this mag holds more then he suggested for the rifle. it would be a nice SSP gun

Edited by 1911vm

• 2 weeks later...
The magazine disconnect can be taken out in less than a minute. And it is not in the trigger linkage, so it makes no difference in the trigger pull either way.

I have one of these in for test and eval. Pulling the magazine disconnect actually, for me, dropped trigger pulls a full pound, from six pounds even to five pounds even, according to my NRA weight set.

• 2 weeks later...

For all of you who have tried the trigger and say it is awful, did you dry fire it with the magazine in the gun ? With the magazine removed, the magazine disconnect safety will drag on the striker and make the trigger pull feel terrible.