Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you....

Fireant

Require a different number of scored hits on some targets? For example if you have 6 targets with a vision barrier or two and a shooting area. Can you say 6 hits are required on two targets and then only 2 scored hits on the 4 remaining? You pick the to you want 6 on.

Require a different number of scored hits on some targets? For example if you have 6 targets with a vision barrier or two and a shooting area. Can you say 6 hits are required on two targets and then only 2 scored hits on the 4 remaining? You pick the to you want 6 on.

2007 Area 8 had a stage that required 2 hits on 6 targets and 6 hits on one target. Since it was an area match, it must have been approved, hence it's legal.

http://www.uspsa8.org/A8-07/Stage%2011.pdf

Edited by Flexmoney
to add link to the stage mentioned.

USPSA ?

This is what I found (not sure if there is more):

9.5.1 Unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing, scoring paper targets must be shot with a minimum of two rounds each, with the best two hits to score. Scoring metal targets must be shot with a minimum of one round each and must fall to score.

One place you will run into a problem is the scoring software. While you can specify, say...3 hits per paper target, you can only do that for all the targets. The scoring software doesn't make it easy to say 3 here...2 there...and 4 on this one. (If I recall correctly)

USPSA ?

One place you will run into a problem is the scoring software. While you can specify, say...3 hits per paper target, you can only do that for all the targets. The scoring software doesn't make it easy to say 3 here...2 there...and 4 on this one. (If I recall correctly)

The scoring software doesn't get what's on each target, just how many As, Bs, Cs, ... there were on the stage. As long as you have the right number of hits on the stage you are fine.

If you are trying to use automatically generated scoresheets you could have a problem.

Scoring---EzWinScore doesn't score by the target. Just total A-B-C whatever for the stage.

The scoresheet generator in EzWinScore does allow for designating different numbers of hits

on each target individually, and will print a scoresheet to match.

There is/was a classifier that required a different number of hits on different targets.

So to answer the OP's question: YES

Bill

The next thing to look at might be:

1.2 ....Course design and construction must not require more than 9 scoring hits from any single location or view,...

might not be expicitly forbidden but why ? it's not a shooting challenge it is a mindgame challenge and doesnt belong in USPSA or IDPA. It comes under the category of BS Stage .You didnt mention the game but I do believe it isnt allowed in IDPA, Keep the hits on paper consitent on each stage.

We have stages like this periodically (yes, they're rule-compliant) and they're not that difficult to negotiate.

Granted, we generally only build something like this as a short- or medium-course. Often it's a short speed-shoot CoF.

We have stages like this periodically (yes, they're rule-compliant) and they're not that difficult to negotiate.

Granted, we generally only build something like this as a short- or medium-course. Often it's a short speed-shoot CoF.

might not be expicitly forbidden but why ? it's not a shooting challenge it is a mindgame challenge and doesnt belong in USPSA or IDPA. It comes under the category of BS Stage .You didnt mention the game but I do believe it isnt allowed in IDPA, Keep the hits on paper consitent on each stage.

if you are speaking of IDPA,we do this all the time and even have done it at our state match...BUT.......the A/C wants you to explain why in writing of the scenario,why is it needed for 6 shots on 2 targets??[12 total ]..and if it is going to be something like 4 or more,like 6 shots per target,then they usually want them to be engaged as the first fired at...it's not cool to set up a stage as t1 thru t 3 get 2 rounds each then t4 gets 6..or t1 thru t6 with 2 rnds then t 7 with 6...several state matches this yr and in the past will start you off facing a T and at the buzz fire 6 while retreating and they may throw in 5 to the body and 1 to the head..........i've shot several stages where you do a tac seq with 3 on each..1-1-3-2-2 ,but not 6-6...........it's not P/C to mix the round count up in the middle or the end in IDPA....you will ALWAYS hear..well i diidnt hear that during the walk thru................

Yes, USPSA match. Ima, I actually took it from one of the matches up your way. It looked different and none of my guys ever shoot up your way. I thought it would be fun also. No other explanation needed.

Is it really allowed to let the _shooter_ pick which targets they want to put a certain number of rounds on? I know it's legal to have the stage designer specify-- at the European Championships, where they go over the stage designs with a comb, they had a couple targets at 30 yards that only needed one hit, while the rest in the string were scored best-two, but I'm not so sure about 'put 1 on 2 targets and 2 on the other, you pick'.

I stand corrected, I remembered it as a will not instead of another one of IDPA's stupid "should" things

pg 50 of the rulebook

"However, mixing the number of hits required on targets within the same string leads to procedural penalties and should be discouraged"

what a waste of dang ink, either make it a rule or leave it out, get rid of the stupid shoulds and discourages.

I stand corrected, I remembered it as a will not instead of another one of IDPA's stupid "should" things

pg 50 of the rulebook

"However, mixing the number of hits required on targets within the same string leads to procedural penalties and should be discouraged"

what a waste of dang ink, either make it a rule or leave it out, get rid of the stupid shoulds and discourages.

Joe,

With all due respect, there are times when mixed number of rounds makes sense for the self-defense premise of the COF. Nothing wrong with leaving the COF designer a little latitude, or all you ever get are cookie cutter stages.

I don't believe in writing rules that prohibit anything that a shooter can screw up. Defensive shooting is supposed to be a challenge a little bigger than just aligning the sights, yes? :D

Just a thought....

kr

Thanks Chris. I even went to an out of the way place for a long lunch then drove an hour home and still saw the kick off. See ya this weekend. I guess to answer my own question yes you can, we did and every seemed to like it.

Counting all the way to six is hard when you have a gun on the other hand. :wacko::wacko:

As you remember, I wasn’t the only one with such problem. There was another competitor, who will remain nameless (right Chris???), who had problems counting all the way to two. :goof::goof::goof:

Maybe next time you should consider us and have stages requiring one round per paper. :rolleyes::rolleyes: