Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 ACP bullet weight?

Jay6

I played around with various combos. for a long time.....all in 45... with weights from 185 - 230... then 3 or 4 years ago at the Single Stack Classic.... I took a class from some dude with a scrufty looking beard.. his name was Robbie something or other :lol:

I asked him about bullet weights and he consolidated it into one sentence.

"With a non-compensated gun you want the heaviest bullets you can buy yielding low pressure...but with a compensated gun you want lighter bullets with higher pressure to make the comp. work it's best."

I asked him if he always shot 230 grains in .45 ACP guns... he said "Only because I can't find a workable 300 grain slug".

Good enough for me..... I've used nothing but 230 grain FMJs ever since.

I played around with various combos. for a long time.....all in 45... with weights from 185 - 230... then 3 or 4 years ago at the Single Stack Classic.... I took a class from some dude with a scrufty looking beard.. his name was Robbie something or other :lol:

I asked him about bullet weights and he consolidated it into one sentence.

"With a non-compensated gun you want the heaviest bullets you can buy yielding low pressure...but with a compensated gun you want lighter bullets with higher pressure to make the comp. work it's best."

I asked him if he always shot 230 grains in .45 ACP guns... he said "Only because I can't find a workable 300 grain slug".

Good enough for me..... I've used nothing but 230 grain FMJs ever since.

Huh, well I would think that is fairly sound advice :D

Thank you all for the replies

I still can't shoot and never could fiqure which weight was better. I just took Leatham's advice about the .45 and stuck with a 230gr. (cast RN).

I shot a bunch of 200gr.SWC, and I still kind of like the fast snappy feeling. Even without TGO's advice, I would still shoot 230grs. because I get a jam from hell every 500-1000rds. with SWCs.

I don't shoot .45 ACP much but after the Area 2 I dust off my Spartan to shoot the WSSSC. I cast my own bullets and settled on what was supposed to be a 230 TC style bullet but when cast out of straight wheel weights it comes out just over 240 grs. You don't have to push the heavy ones that fast to make a major PF so the heavier bullets feel softer. I use a lot of WST for loading my shotshells and found it works great and and shoots clean with this bullet.

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6

I'm currently running a 200 grain Precision SWC over 4.2gr of Clays. I also like the Laser Cast 200 grain SWC's and only need 4.0 grains of Clays to make major with them. But, of course, there's the smoke and bullet lube gumming up the seater die to contend with. Cabelas still has both the 200's and the 230 RN's on sale....

Trodrig

I use masterblaster 230 gr RN. They actually weigh 224gr. in my guns 5.4 gr WW 231 makes 170,600 PF on average. I use to shoot 200 gr LSWC, which is a good choice, but the round nose works better in my S&W 625 revolver. I like to shoot alot more than I like to reload, so one load for two guns makes more sense to me. I do like the polymer coated cast bullets, they are economical and the clean up is much easier than regular cast bullets, I run my gun 400-600 rds. between cleanings with no malfunctions.

Robin

I have been shooting a 200gr lswc for a couple of years now. I really like the the quick snap vs the slow roll of a 230gr. I have been loading with Clays 4.3 grs, for a 170pf.

I have been using BulletWorks bullets now for the last couple of thousand and like them, they usually weigh in around 195-196.

Sure there is a little smoke, but it doesn't bother me.