Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grams or Dawson Mag Basepads

bayouman

Dawsons are easier to remove and install. Makes for faster cleaning when shooting a match, whcih is a must here in Georgia, where we drop mags in sand quite a bit.

Grams provide a little more room for bullets, but not really reloadable with 20 rounds either.

Either basepad will hold 20 rounds to start + 1 in the hole.

My Dawsons have held up nicely with considerable abuse.

Still your choice!

I am ordering an STI from Brazos and have a choice between Grams and Dawson basepads. This is my first limited gun so I have not experience with either. Any thoughts on which way I should go?

I have some of both and would be okay with either. First off, there is a new Dawson SNL (sometimes not legal) that I'm pretty sure you're not talking about....that would change things a bit.

The Grams pad gives you a bit more room in the magazine and might just get you over the edge to that next round if you're close, and if not, will make for an easier seating mag at the same capacity as with the Dawson +1. It does take something like a screwdriver to take the pad off for cleaning between stages. They also aren't quite as durable as the Dawson, but will be replaced for free if you break one.

The Dawson is a more durable, offers slightly less room in the magazine, but doesn't take a tool to remove...just slide the bar and it pops off. The thing that worries me about the Dawson is losing the little spring and/or plunger when you take it apart...they can fall out easily and if it happens at most ranges you're not finding it again so you're down one mag for the match.

Now if you can get the Dawson SNL on them and the mags fit the gauge, you've got the extra room that the Grams provides, is more durable and doesn't need a tool to remove....best of everything.

Dawsons are easier to remove and install. Makes for faster cleaning when shooting a match, whcih is a must here in Georgia, where we drop mags in sand quite a bit.

Grams provide a little more room for bullets, but not really reloadable with 20 rounds either.

Still your choice!

I have a couple of 20 round mags with Grams 4mm pads and they're reloadable. Granted, you have to seat them firmly, but I have never had one fail to lock in during a match. 21 round tubes are on the way.... :devil:

I have new Dawson SNL's on my Brazos mags. None will hold 21 rounds but all are reloadable with 20. Also all fit the magazine gauge without much hassle, no grinding at all. I have 1 SPS mag that also checks legal and will hold 21 rounds but only if the COL is 1.185 or less, so I have to keep special ammo just for it. Normally I load to 1.200 so special ammo is sort of a pain in the a--!

Either is good, but for me it will always be Grams.

They're more durable then people think. Usually, it's 'cause people don't know how to take care of them. As for "needing" a tool, I just say that the screwdriver that I use to remove the pin, also pushes the rag and gets into the corners inside the tube to get it clean (on top of using a mag brush), so nothing extra.

My limited mags are 20 rounds reloadable all day long and the bottom line is that everything Beven does is the best and you will never find a better person in this sport (Old School YZF BABY!!!).

Rich

Still your choice!

I have a couple of 20 round mags with Grams 4mm pads and they're reloadable. Granted, you have to seat them firmly, but I have never had one fail to lock in during a match. 21 round tubes are on the way.... :devil:

I can also reload (with considerable force) 20 round Dawson equipped mags. I will ONLY do this if there is plenty of movement to do so. I prefer not to change my natural instinctive reload if possible. See my reply about the new Dawson SNL's. They are reloadable with 20 and do not require any excessive force.

Dawson's all day long. Easier to use and customer service second to none.

Gram's will break regardless of how well you try to take care of them, that is why there is a free replacement policy. Also getting the replacement isn't always that easy.

I have STI 4 STI tubes, and 1 SVI tube that run the Dawson +1 basepads on them. My pads require me to shove a fine point screwdriver in the detent to allow me to slide the side of the basepad out in order to take the basepad off. This is a 20 round reloadable (with considerable pressure) magazine that has performed flawlessly (with Grams follower and spring installed).

I then purchased 3 SPS magazines at the '06 nationals. Those magazines are equipped with the Grams 2.5mm basepads. Those magazines have run flawless as well (again, with Grams internals). These are a very easy to reload 20 round magazine. It would be similar to downloading the S_I magazine by 1 round.

I have had problems with both types of basepads, Dawson with the above mentioned detent problem, and the Grams with one of their pads cracking. Even with that, I like either one. I find myself using the Grams equipped SPS magazines on larger field courses and the Dawson equipped S_I magazines on the courses that don't require a reload.

I have since found out the Grams basepad cracked because there was too much tension on the basepad itself. The magazine had to be "tuned" (narrowed on the bottom) just a bit, so the basepad wasn't under too much pressure, or stretched out.

I haven't sent my basepad off to Bevan, as I understand his warranty won't cover this type of breakage. I suppose I should try though. Even after this situatation, I'd buy Grams basepads again in a heartbeat. They are no harder to take off than the Dawson pads.

My Brazo came with Grams pads. You can reload to 20 but I had one crack when I dropped it. I now have Dawsons on 3 and keep one with a grams for the times I need to reload to 20. I know someone who machined a few thousands off the bottom of a dawson to get the extra room. Not sure about doing that.

I started using the old Dawsons- then switched to Grams for the extra room, after having one break with only a couple months use I am back to using Dawson's. I am now replacing the Grams with the Dawson SNL pads. With a stock mag body, I can get 20 reloadable with either Grams or the SNL. But the Dawson's are more durable, easier to take down to clean (no tool required) and are heavier and seem to fall free quicker. Although with the Grams I can use the plastic "screwdriver" portion of Arrendondo's mag brush to remove the "U" clip on the Grams pads.

I have some of Brazos tuned STI mags with Grams basepad. Very easily reloadable to 20 rds in the mag. They are great but I worry about cracking. I have and use Dawson also as a primary mag because of this very thing. I think we all know that Aluminum will not crack under the pressures we are using. But the plastic Grams pads will. I can only get 19 rounds in my Dawson pads but they are not SNL either. The only other thing I have found with my Brazos/Grams mags are that its easier for me to reload a Grams pad than a Dawson. For me it's because the Dawson sticks out in the front a little more than the Grams does. But that is strictly a personal preference.

I have some of Brazos tuned STI mags with Grams basepad. Very easily reloadable to 20 rds in the mag. They are great but I worry about cracking. I have and use Dawson also as a primary mag because of this very thing. I think we all know that Aluminum will not crack under the pressures we are using. But the plastic Grams pads will. I can only get 19 rounds in my Dawson pads but they are not SNL either. The only other thing I have found with my Brazos/Grams mags are that its easier for me to reload a Grams pad than a Dawson. For me it's because the Dawson sticks out in the front a little more than the Grams does. But that is strictly a personal preference.

I've always found it a bit easier to reload with the Grams pads, but thought it was just in my head...now I guess maybe it's not so crazy :)

Most people that I've observed having problems with Grams pads have had them crack at the thin area where the pin goes in. I was advised that the one thing that the Grams pads are vuneralbe to is solvent. Any solvent or bore cleaner should not come in contact with the pad, and even near the fumes in a closed environmet (safe or gun bag). Over time, the exposure will weaken the plastic.

Keeping this in mind, I've been careful not to expose my pads to this and have used the same set of Grams pads for 5 seasons and none of them have cracked. They are beat up, but are still working.