Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jury duty

Scooter

I hate the stupid jury duty system they have in my county. It is plain stupid. The summons was for Tuesday afternoon, so called Monday night. Been moved to Wednesday afternoon. Called Tuesday night, been moved to Thursday afternoon. Called Wednesday night, told to call at noon on Thursday. So took the day off work since it would have been pointless for me to drive 40 minutes to work, work for a few hours, then drive 60 minutes to the courthouse. Just called them at noon, been rescheduled to Friday afternoon. :angry2: We don't get paid for jury duty so basically today was wasted without pay. Now I might or might not have to reschedule my doctors appointment for tomorrow since I don't know what I'll be doing till noon tomorrow.

This is just effing retarded. No wonder everyone hates jury duty.

Since I have to call again tomorrow at noon, I might as well go to work tomorrow since we only work till noon. I think I'll just wear our company T-shirt. Back of the t-shirt has a MD500 helicopter with 4 missile launcher pods.

Only if you really think that will get you dismissed. Wear a suit; you'll get to be forman. :cheers:

I did Jury Duty in the UK, I sat through 3 cases over four days.

Two were boring but one was great fun, we got to call out a 'Not Guilty' for some hapless kid that was being railroaded by a bunch of thugs. We caught the thugs during the lunch-break discussing the case and what they would say to the judge to get the kid sent to jail. Watching the kid's mother and girlfriend while all this came out in court was just great.

The defendant's barrister was grinning ear to ear in the court as he questioned the thugs, they didn't know that they had been overheard conspiring by myself and two other jury members so when the barrister caught them out in their story it was awesome. :cheers:

I was the foreman on a grand jury once, it was by far the most interesting experience; we went through about 70 cases in two and a half days. I've had to do the call in thing several times, it can become a PIA real quick.

:angry: If I had not been on a jury a few years ago :angry2: a guy would have gotten away with molesting a child. They just wanted to do the easy thing and all agree and get it over with. some of the women thought the guy was not responsible for his actions since he had been drinking. He has a record now

Just got excused by the judge due to finanicial hardship since I don't get paid for jury duty and I can't go that long without pay, plus I have a vacation planned in two weeks. The case was to be 3-4 weeks for murder and weapons charges. Though who could possibly be worse to be a juror than some that actually knows must of California's insane gun laws.

After hearing today's news I'd like to encourage all of you to cowboy up and serve whenever you are called upon for jury duty. If you are smart enough to get out of jury duty, imagine the folks who are not. Yep, that's who is in charge of our system of justice, the folks too ignorant to figure out how to get out of it. That let's OJ, Robert Blake and Phil Specter get away with murder. Just a thought....

Ducking on jury duty only makes sense if you can't afford the time, or if you believe that a random person would do as good a job as yourself. I never try to duck it, but always get bounced before they get to the good stuff - the first time, the prosecutor lived on the same street as my parents; the second time one witnesses was my father in laws doctor; and the third time the pool of 8 (for a jury of 6) was dismissed because the defendant didn't show up for trail. At least state level jurors in MA are allowed to check their guns at the courthouse entrance (a courtesy not afforded to non-LEO federal jurors).

I've only been called to jury duty once. Did the call thing for a couple days that was a definate PITA. I finally went in, there were about 20 of us or so the guy had a charge of posession of MJ. The DPS guy was really well known in the law enforcement community as being very good and fair. Well, when the judge asked if anyone was either in or directly related to someone in law enforcement 16 of us raised our hands. The look on the defendant and lawyers faces was priceless. :D

Jason

Edit:spelling

Edited by shooting for M

I've only been called for jury duty once (about three years ago) but I have beaucoup excuses for not doing it (including medical, business, and others), but not the least of which is my daily proximity to law enforcement, multiple involvements and acquaintanceships with same, and even contact with--of all things--prison inmates. I actually have more excuses NOW than I did even that three years ago! I think Jury Duty would be interesting, but can't afford to do it (business/income disruption) and have too much inside information about things goin' on in regard to LEOs' business sometimes. :rolleyes:

When I presented all this stuff three years ago, I was excused in less than 24 hours.

That's the other thing, I know a few LE guys from shooting. I also know a Deputy Counsel that works at the same court house.

At the same time, it would be hard for me not to be biased on this particular case since it was murder and multiple weapons charges. I have no tolerance for people committing violent crimes using firearms. They ruin it for the rest of us.

Probably 10 years ago I was called and during selection the defense attorney asked if anybody listened to Rush Limbaugh. It was a slip & fall case where the store had a sign up but the woman didnt want to sit on the toilet and tried to straddle it on a wet floor and slipped. I raised my hand. Then he asked if we believed what Rush said. I raised my hand and said to be more accurate I dont believe what he says but that he said what I believed. I was dismissed.

She won 50,000.