Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jury duty

Scooter

I'm not sure where you engineers get the idea you'd be automatically excused b/c you'd apply logic. As a career prosecutor (who retired Friday-Look out ranges!) I can say that the State in a criminal case would like someone like you. Now, of course, there are squirrels who are engineers just like there are squirrels who are doctors, lawyers, plumbers, etc., but as to occupations, engineers are right up there with occupations we look for.

A defense attorney in a criminal case might like an engineer if the physical and scientific evidence didn't point to guilt and all the State had were eyewitnesses.

In a civil case, either side might like the engineer, depending on the facts and types of evidence.

But, remember that each side gets a certain number of peremptory challenges which can be exercised for no reason (not for race, sex, etc.) and, for example, if I had a gun case, with lab-type evidence showing this was the gun that fired the bullet that killed someone, the defense might exercise a peremptory challenge to keep me from having that engineer I want.

But, I don't think both sides would automatically exclude engineers just based on the occupation.

BTW, the call in system is annoying, but the only other viable alternative is to actually report for jury duty, then be sent home if nothing is going to trial. We only use the call in system for civil cases; for criminal, you gotta show up (usually there's at least on case going anyway-often five or six).

I agree with the posters who pointed out that it's important to serve in criminal cases. I'd add that serving let's you hold the prosecutor's feet to the fire, to make sure there really was a crime committed and that this is the person who committed it, to hold the defense attorney's feet to the fire to make sure that his defense is relevant (not just questions to embarrass the witnesses) and to hold the system's feet to the fire as well, to make sure it works properly.

Bob

Edited by straightshooter1

BTW, the call in system is annoying, but the only other viable alternative is to actually report for jury duty, then be sent home if nothing is going to trial. We only use the call in system for civil cases; for criminal, you gotta show up (usually there's at least on case going anyway-often five or six).

There is another viable alternative.

Massachusetts uses a "One day or one trial" system. You show for jury duty. If you are empaneled, you serve until the case is over. If you are not selected, you get a pass good as an "automatic out" for three years.