Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the results are updated as of 5:20pm Tijuana time.

WHAT's WITH THIS??!!??!! (stage 3) :wacko::wacko:

1 Peter...182 U Limited 131 60 7.28 9.7527 180.0000 100.00%

2 Alex.....113 M Limited 173 0 24.42 7.0844 130.7527 72.64%

3 Taran...178 GM Limited 172 0 25.28 6.8038 125.5738 69.76%

4 Chuck...103 M Limited 166 0 24.79 6.6962 123.5879 68.66%

5 Yong.......89 GM Limited 170 0 25.51 6.6641 122.9955 68.33%

6 Curtis....157 M Limited 176 0 26.79 6.5696 121.2513 67.36%

7 Rob.......179 M Limited 170 0 25.91 6.5612 121.0963 67.28%

8 Scott.......43 A Limited 169 0 26.50 6.3774 117.7040 65.39%

WHat a trip!

There's something wrong with the scoring system if Pete can whoop everyone's ass with 60 points in penalties! :wacko:

I wonder if it's worth learning to game stages this way? :D

I don't think the results are updated as of 5:20pm Tijuana time.

WHAT's WITH THIS??!!??!!   (stage 3) :wacko:  :wacko:

1 Peter...182 U Limited 131 60 7.28 9.7527 180.0000 100.00%

2 Alex.....113 M Limited 173 0 24.42 7.0844 130.7527 72.64%

3 Taran...178 GM Limited 172 0 25.28 6.8038 125.5738 69.76%

4 Chuck...103 M Limited 166 0 24.79 6.6962 123.5879 68.66%

5 Yong.......89 GM Limited 170 0 25.51 6.6641 122.9955 68.33%

6 Curtis....157 M Limited 176 0 26.79 6.5696 121.2513 67.36%

7 Rob.......179 M Limited 170 0 25.91 6.5612 121.0963 67.28%

8 Scott.......43 A Limited 169 0 26.50 6.3774 117.7040 65.39%

WHat a trip!

There's something wrong with the scoring system if Pete can whoop everyone's ass with 60 points in penalties!  :wacko:

I wonder if it's worth learning to game stages this way?  :D

His time was 37, not 7, Palm input error, and this was the guy who invented the palm scoring system. Also stage one, the RO didn't keep up with Doug from many accounts, thus the scorching fast time. Overall the matches stages were pretty good, the bazillion RO's shooting through and 2 hours between stages really sucked, as well as stage 4 being thrown out, because it cost me a frame kit :(, oh well live and learn.

Great match and the SV people, fellow shooters, food, prizes and R/O's were great. There was a problem with people (r/o's) shooting through and the squadding schedule was, for lack of a better term, "thrown out the window". Maybe a simple open squadding type set up would help alleviate the "mind set" of scheduled squadding thus reducing the number of complaints. If you don't like dust, dirt, and moon rock in your hair, clothes, gun and etc you wouldn't like Reno.

Bottom line: My son and I are going again next year.

Had a great time. Got to meet The Other Erik from the forum, which was cool.

Managed 12th in L-10 despite four procedurals on stage one for shooting the last two targets outside the box (napped through the walkthrough), and four malfunctions on stage 5. Actually managed a second place stage finish on the tetherball stage, I can only assume Keith Tyler had gun trouble or something.

My favorite stage was Stage 3. When I finished that run I thought that I shot it as well as I possibly could, and that if I had to shoot it again, I'd probably do worse. A small triumph.

Area 1 I shot at 58%, the Infinity Open at 74%, nice to see some improvement.

Our squad was great, everyone worked, no prima donnas. Great match.

Anyone know why Stage 4 was tossed? I had to catch a flight and missed the awards.

Anyone know why Stage 4 was tossed?  I had to catch a flight and missed the awards.

Stage 4 was tossed because on RO inconsistancies. The First group of ROs required the shooters to engage form the 50 yard mark while the others would let you run up as far as you wanted.

It didn't meet my expectations. This was match was billed as very high caliber. Prize table yeah, food maybe, but the managment no. We were consistantly 2 hours behind. Our squad started with 10 and by the second day ended up with 6. People were squad jumping and shooting through all over the place. It might as well been open-squadding. But when has a major match ever run on schedual?

The PDA scoring worked pretty good once people got the hang of things. but I blame the PDAs for much of the delays. It would have been faster if the if they had small thermal printers to print the scores instead of transfering them to paper for the competitor and the back up copy.

I managed 3rd c open, stage 7 and 5 being my best.

The best part of the match was Taran Butler's impressions. He does a pretty good benos and a solid Matt K.

I just watched Matt B's latest DVD bonus footage from last year's Infinity Open. The stages were better this year.

Palm scoring is cool. It's not without its problems, but it went pretty smooth in my hands, without training, without a manual. I think some people don't appreciate all the time and effort saved by not hand-entering scores into the computer. We were turning Stage 10 around in four minutes, less than 30 seconds of which was me copying the time and score to the palm. It takes me longer than that to add up the hits on a regular score sheet, and I sometimes get the math wrong.

The stages were different. I didn't like stage 10 and stage 4 was thrown out. The reason for tossing stage 4 was due to stage procedures. The first 2 days required shooting T1-T3 reload T4-T6 reload T7-T9 in that exact order. It didn't matter if you stayed back or ran forward. The last day had shooters engaging any array, reload, another array, reload, and finally the last array. It's too bad for the toss, I know a lot of work goes into all the stages.

Getting lunch every day, having chairs on every bay, and getting bottled water all day is something that you NEVER see except for the Infinity Open. The prize table was better than average but not as good as last years. Too many shoot thru's caused some delays.

I had a great time and enjoyed the Briefcase (backing up stage) the best, a bobbled reload kept me from the top 5 (finished 10th).

Thank you to all of the Infinity Team.

I'll start by fessing up with my list of Palm issues from the match:

1). Two shooters had the first digit dropped from their time (a time of 37.xx seconds was reported as 7.xx seconds, and a time of 12.75 seconds was entered as 2.75 seconds). This was a result of data entry error, combined with a failure to visually identify the discrepeancy when reading scores off the Palm. These were quickly identified and corrected.

2). Four scores were not entered into the Palm - one was brought to our attention by the shooter, and the other 3 were found by stats. In each case, stats located the paper log of the score within a couple of minutes and entered the missing score.

3). Two shooters had a procedural they did not earn on one stage. We believe that this was due to the RO holding the palm with a finger touching the screen.

4). One shooter had a paper time reported which was .05 second slower than that on the Palm. This was corrected during the posting period.

#1, #3, and #4 could have been avoided by visually verifying the scores at the time the RO was writing the scores on paper. #2 appears to be user error - failing to hit "done" to store the score after showing it to the shooter and recording it on paper.

The up side is that we ran a 230 shooter, 10 stage match, with one laptop and a stats crew which only needed to be in the stats room part-time, and had results within minutes of delivery of the last palm to stats. Much of the time we saved was spent providing RO support with the Palms, and dealing with new user training issues. If the RO staff was already "Palm scoring experienced" prior to the match, I could have run stats without assistance.

Other thoughts

-------------------

My involvement in match production was limited to registration and stats support, however, I will be offering a few suggestions for next year:

1). Printed walk-throughs to be read verbatim

2). Dedicated RO shoot time rather than "shoot through"

3). A rigorously followed squadding schedule

4). Arrange for a posting area at the hotel so competitors who don't bring a laptop can check their scores each day without waiting around at the range.

I'd like to Thank Sandy Strayer, Team SVI, all the sponsors, and Rob in the stats house for all the time they put into the match. I had a fun time, found the stages challenging, and I was part of the cause of the delay since I shot the match in one day so I could work all day Saturday. We had stage 1 running in about 4 minute turn around time also, that was probably due to this not being the first time I used the palm scoring method, which I like very much.

I believe the stages were better this year, and this has really been the best match out there, bottled water on all stages, lunch provided, and lots of prizes.

Again, thanks SVI !