Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oiling 1911 question

snokid

Hi guys & Girls

When I clean and oil my gun, then go shoot it, I can't wear a light colored shirt because the oil gets on my shirt and my wife want's to use the gun on me.

ok so how do you oil your gun?

what I have been doing is putting oil on the rails then cycling the slide a few times and wiping off the excess off the back of the slide and repeating a few times?

what am I doing wrong? or do I just need to switch to dark colored t-shirts?

thanks

sno

I think what you're doing wrong is "repeating a few times"....(if you are referring to oiling...)

Once should do it.  I would also suggest you consider trying Slide Glide.  One of the great things about it is that it stays right where you put it.

From the wife's point of view - I went out and bought "shooting" shirts!!!!  5 cheap tee shirts that are just for wearing while shooting.

Also, "Shout" gets the grease out of the shirts - and you may want to offer to wash them yourself :)

Slide glide is the best lube I've tried for awhile !

And I've tried a lot, oil, grease with teflon, with silicone, with molybdenum, "white grease", I've even tried a grease that's supposed to be used by the Nasa in the space shuttles !

And I've found the slide glide to be the most efficient of all of them.

Really soften the slide's travel, feels to me like shooting a bear rings mounted pistol .

DVC

Julien

:)

Slide Glide is the best. If you're stuck with standard oil for awhile, my advice is to get yourself some Q-Tips, saturate the tip of one, and just run that down your slide rails, the lugs in the interior of the slide, etc. This will give you a thin film of oil that's all you really need, without overdoing it into splatter mode.

But Slide-Glide is better.

I ordered slide glide from our host BE

and thanks for the tip on using a q-tip.

when I get the slide glide how much do I use?

right now I'm using too much oil it look's like, but I heard that 1911's need alot of oil.

where do I put it? right now it's pretty much going on all moving parts, and the barrel locking lugs which I think is where I'm getting most of my mess...

hopefuly I will have my order by the weekend...

sno

Your gun will help you. Lube a lot when there are shiny spots. The Lugs, barrel feet/link pin and slide rails are the most important. I lube other places also. Nothing against grease but I would try it before a match to determine the correct amount. Too much could slow and jam gun depending on your set up.

Thanks for the great service again Brian, two days wow!!!!

As you can guess I got my order. I put the slide glide on my gun and it does seem a lot better already. I'm going shooting in the morning and I will see for sure...

thanks for all the help guys

sno

• 2 weeks later...

Just MHO, but if you get a spray of hot oil in the face when you fire the gun, or see mist go up over the rear sight when dry firing the piece, the oil has been applied WAY too liberally. The danger in oiling your gun like you'd oil your salad is that most quality lubricants today are Teflon based. As you fire, or even hand cycle the slide, on the over-oiled gun, liquid is pushed toward the end of the barrel hood by the slide, and when the gun closes and breech face contacts barrel hood, the stuff runs down the breech face. Teflon lubricants are amazingly penetrative of the lacquer used on primers. Run the same round in the chamber of your heavily oiled piece, reloaded into the chamber time after time, and drenched every time, and in short order your chambered round is going to turn into a dud.

Anyway, that much lube is just going to run out of the gun and get all over your hands and clothing. It really doesn't take that much. A light film applied with a Q-Tip will suffice. Or you could just get a lube that stays where you put it, like Wilson's Ultima-Lube "white grease" or Slide-Glide.

I agree with Duane, they ain't salad shooters!

I use a Hoppes precision oiler bottle (Brownells has several brands)  They are very handy, easy to carry, and they are cheap.  I've used all the different oils, and could tell very little difference between them if any.  When I say 1 drop, I mean 1 small drop.  I've seen people try to make a malfunctioning gun run by literally drenching them in oil.  Ain't gonna work!  It's not friction that is causing the gun to malfunction.

Currently I oil my 2011s this way.

Slide, 2 drops each rail, one just in front of the thumb safety notch (both rails) and one drop just behind the slide stop notch (both rails).

1 drop in the disconnector cut.

1 drop on the bottom of the firing pin stop where it contacts the hammer.

I put a thin film of Medium weight weapons oil or your favorite brand of grease in the slide locking lugs.

Frame, 1 drop at the front of the frame rails both sides and 1 drop on the disconnector (make sure it goes down inside the disconnector hole.)

Install slide to frame and cycle gently a couple of times.  Wipe off the excess.

Barrel, 2 drops each side of the barrel link (1 drop in front and in back of the slide stop hole, this also lubes the bottom lug faces)

1 drop inside the barrel link slide stop hole.

1 drop each side of the bottom lug above the barrel link.

1 fine line of oil drawn around the end of the barrel 1/4 inch from end of barrel.

Thin film of Medium weight weapons oil or grease over locking lugs.

Guide Rod, 1 fine line of oil the length of the rod and smeared around.

1 drop of oil inside bearing end of reverse plug.