Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just can't stop thinking about a new gun.

98sr20ve

I have been shooting my Kahr TP9 for a little while now, it's my carry gun. Even did some IPDA and other match's with it. I sucked at the matchs any time they threw in 50ft stuff. I practiced and practiced at the range with my 50ft shots. I can now hit a paper plate consistently at the range with my TP9 from a standard stance at a slow but deliberate pace. I still want a new gun. It just seems this small 9mm is so much harder to shot then my .357 4 inch. I enjoy practicing with it but would really like something that has the longer slide. Been thinking of a G34/35 for a IDPA/fun gun. SW has the MP coming out in 5 inch soon as well. But I can't get the idea of a .45 1911 out of my mind. For some reason I am more drawn to the G34/35 then the 1911 but the back of my mind says the 1911 may be more accurate. I have not shot any more IDPA stuff because of the heat but it's also a little embarrassing to not be able to hit long targets with my short gun. Maybe now things would be better. Any thoughts?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all your choices are excellent ones. i've got a g34 for production and esp/ssp. a 1911 45 for SS and CDP. i'm thinking a the new 5" m&p will be my next purchase when it comes out.

But like everyone here says, "its the indian and not the arrow". :)

Am I just kidding myself that the new longer slide, better trigger and heavier gun will really help me with those longer shots.

Never let equipment hold you back! Buy the very best you can, and the Indian will be very happy indeed!

Am I just kidding myself that the new longer slide, better trigger and heavier gun will really help me with those longer shots.

the longer the arrow, the straighter it flies

Better equipment suited to what you want to do will serve you well!!!

Little guns are great carry guns ....but a longer sight radius and longer barrel will enable you to shoot better at longer range.

Go shoot several different guns (beg borrow rent) see what tickles your fancy before you buy.

Jim :)

Look at what is winning big matches, and go from there. For Production we see Glock. CZ, XD and M&P. Not too many Kahr shooters...

That being said...there is a HUGE trap of "If I only had this gun or these sights..." Once "that gun" or "these sights" are acquired, the shooter more often than not realizes that there is no magic trick to winning.

That being said...there is a HUGE trap of "If I only had this gun or these sights..." Once "that gun" or "these sights" are acquired, the shooter more often than not realizes that there is no magic trick to winning.

Very well said Micah.

Better equipment suited to what you want to do will serve you well!!!

Little guns are great carry guns ....but a longer sight radius and longer barrel will enable you to shoot better at longer range.

Go shoot several different guns (beg borrow rent) see what tickles your fancy before you buy.

Jim :)

Someone lent me a XD9 Tactical at my first match for one course of fire. I shoot much better with it then my personal carry gun, but it was tuned to the en'th degree. My friend lent me his Glock G23 and I shoot better with it then my Kahr but it was only one magazine, hardly a working over. My brother has a G17 and after I get used to it I shoot it pretty well. He only has a 25ft range in his area and I never get to take my Kahr to Virginia. I can shoot my Kahr pretty well out to 15yards. After that it's tougher. Maybe it's my 41 year old eyes.

Edit: And I want to blame the DAO trigger but I have been getting better with it over time.

Edited by 98sr20ve

Equipment isn't the most important thing if it's reasonably suitable for what you're trying to do with it. For competitive shooting I'd submit that you're being held back by the Kahr. My Dad always said "worry about equipment when you're sure that it's holding you back" and that's true. Any of the guns you mention will be suitable for what you're talking about. Pick the one that feels best to you, get some decent sights on it, get a bunch of mags and then shoot the tar out of it!

Equipment isn't the most important thing if it's reasonably suitable for what you're trying to do with it. For competitive shooting I'd submit that you're being held back by the Kahr. My Dad always said "worry about equipment when you're sure that it's holding you back" and that's true. Any of the guns you mention will be suitable for what you're talking about. Pick the one that feels best to you, get some decent sights on it, get a bunch of mags and then shoot the tar out of it!

I was on your squad at your first match at pueblo. You did fine with teh Kahr, but G-man is right. It is/will hold you back. Pick a better platform, whichever is best for you and kill paper like mad.

Everyone needs a 1911 in 45 acp

Everyone needs a 9mm that can hold who knows how many rounds

Everyone needs a 40 (to make major)

Everyone needs a plastic gun (ok, polymer to you glockers)

Everyone needs a big mean gun (41 mag and larger)

Everyone needs a 22

Everyone needs a 357

Everyone needs a gun that you got because "it looks cool"

Everyone needs a gun to let a non shooter borrow when you haul them to the range

Everyone needs a gun for SSP, ESP, CDP, SSR, and ESR

Everyone needs a gun for Open, Limited, Single Stack, and Production

Everyone needs a gun you wife doesn't know you bought

Everyone needs a backup for all of the above

See no problem it's a short list. ;)

Have fun shopping.

disclaimer: J-ho is not responsible for any action taken by spouse, significant other, life partner, girlfriend, mistress, bank manager, or any other damn person I can't think of right now. :devil:

BTW I LOVE little Kahr as a backup or pocket gun.

Everyone needs a 22

Everyone needs a 357

Everyone needs a gun to let a non shooter borrow when you haul them to the range

Have fun shopping.

disclaimer: J-ho is not responsible for any action taken by spouse, significant other, life partner, girlfriend, mistress, bank manager, or any other damn person I can't think of right now. :devil:

I like it. ;)

I have a G34, and a 1911 in .45acp, and a G17, and CZ40B, and a Ruger .357 GP100.

With ammo costs being what they are right now if you don't reload then 9MM is a whole lot cheaper than .45. And a G34 or G17 is cheaper than a 1911 with the proper match grade goodies on it. My 1911 is a Springfield Mil-Spec, and is in need of new sights right now, but for now I shoot my two Glocks in USPSA and IDPA.

Find someone who has a G34/17/35 or a 1911 and try it out. Some folks like one way better than the other, it fits their hand and points better for them

Above all enjoy.

Bruce

The best gun for you is the one that you shoot well, so try a few before making decision. Many people at matches are more than happy to let you fire a few rounds through their gun after a match if you ask. If you are on a tight budget, Glocks are a good choice. There are plenty of great deals to be had on used and factory rebuilt guns. I've got 4 Glocks, including a G23 that I carry. I didn't buy any of them new and they all work great. Longer sight radius is nice, IMO. I started with a G22 in Limited with the rationalization that the sight radius was the same as the 1911 that I was used to. I'm now shooting a G24 and love the long sight radius. I have a lot more confidence on long shots now. Unless you reload or have lots of money to play with, I always recommend going with a 9mm and playing in Production. I know a few folks that had to have a 1911 and found a great deal on the gun, only to get sticker shock at the ammo counter.

Everyone needs a 22

Everyone needs a 357

This is outstanding! I am a couple of guns short, looks like it shopping time.

Everyone needs a 22

Everyone needs a 357

Have fun shopping.

Add to the list at least two rifles. .223 and 30-06. I don't hunt but they both seem cool to me. Then it just seems right to have a lever gun as well.

Anyway.

I reload so 40 is a option. I guess 40 could do it all if I wanted to download the 40. Probably go with a 9mm in the end.

I was on your squad at your first match at pueblo. You did fine with teh Kahr, but G-man is right. It is/will hold you back. Pick a better platform, whichever is best for you and kill paper like mad.

Thanks. I need to go back again and see how I do with my Kahr again. It's just good practice anyway. I know I would do better now as I have really been practicing my sight picture and long range shots. Now my shorter shots are much easier as a result. At least thats how it feels. May end up being very different once the buzzer sounds.

Everyone needs a 22

Everyone needs a 357

Have fun shopping.

mmmm... :wub: more guns. Nice list :D

Be very careful with this sport! When I started shooting USPSA I told myself that I wasn't going to buy a handgun just for competition, that I would be satisfied with what I already had. I kept that promise by buying three! :rolleyes:.........and all the gizmos to use with 'em.

Everyone has given good advise. There are a lot of fellow shooters that will let you test drive their gun. Try a few out and go with the flow.

AND A 5" 625 (or a 610, or a 25-2) for Revolver division- Good stuff here! (or a 4" 625 for ESR if you like IDPA more than IPSC- you can still use it in IPSC too)

-Mooney (as in the clips, even though I own a Kahr as well, thanks Rev. Moon of the Moonies for that little company....)

IMO Kahr's seem like great little guns, and the fact that you compete with what you carry is AWSOME, and more than I can say for myself.

If you want a 1911 in .45, and yes I agree everyone needs one(at least). If you are looking on a budget, try the Taurus. I can already feel myself getting pelted by rotten fruit, but if you haven't shot one or know someone that has please give 'em a chance before bashing them and me. They are about $550 or less, much less if you know the right person, the dealer price is crazy cheap.

I know a couple people that have them, it will be my next 1911 unless I happen upon enough $ for a Lawman or Les Baer. ;)

All the Taurus's that I have seen, about 5, have ran great, have decent triggers out of the box, and did I mention they run very well, not for a cheap gun, for any 1911. OK, they probably won't shoot an 1.5" group at 50yds, but can you? Any way if want an inexpensive way to try a 1911, check 'em out.

Jason

Am I the only one that noticed the "LIKE MY 4" 357" hey you got a great SSR gun learn to use the speedloaders !

Maybe I should try that next. I only have 2 speedloaders for the thing but it does shoot pretty well. More excuse to practice with it I guess.

Everyone needs a 22

Everyone needs a 357

Have fun shopping.

Add to the list at least two rifles. .223 and 30-06. I don't hunt but they both seem cool to me. Then it just seems right to have a lever gun as well.

Anyway.

I reload so 40 is a option. I guess 40 could do it all if I wanted to download the 40. Probably go with a 9mm in the end.

No, no, no, don't go there. You don't even want to hear my rifle list. ;)