Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just can't stop thinking about a new gun.

98sr20ve

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the last two times at the range something has broken on my KAHR. It's all minor, fixable things but it's pushing me one step closer to a G34.

Gamer! B)

The 34 is a very nice, soft shooting, easy to use gun. Get it. Then, next month get the CZ. Then, get the 1911. Then, get...another one!

The problem with getting a G34 is then you want a G26 for carry ...... and a G22 for around the house ..... and a G36 for ... well you get the point. Glocks are nice, but you can never have too many of 'em

Too true. Only I went with a G35 for competition, a G27 for carry and a G22 just because.

0. Get a gun that fits you.

1. Fly before you buy, if possible.

2. Get a gun that fits you.

3. Get a gun that fits you.

Should I write it again? Hopefully not. Don't worry about accuracy. Worry about how the controls and how you interact with them. You're going to be doing a boatload of mag changes as a Production shooter, so I'd made double damned sure that whatever pistol I chose was just incredibly easy for YOU to reload. Everyone else's success stories and/or wish lists should mean exactly diddly to you.

Someone has succeeded with everything at some point in time, and that should tell you that a pistol from any of the major players is a good choice. The question is, what's the best choice for you? I think the three primary considerations are trigger reach, mag button accessibility, and grip angle compatibility. That last one is less of an issue than most make of it because you can generally change the elevation of a pistol by how far you extend it on the draw. What you don't want to have is a pistol with the front sight lifted above the rear when your elbows are locked out. That's your clear-cut sign of grip angle incompatibility.

And FWIW, the market has changed radically in pistols lately. Where a Glock would traditionally have been my first, second, and third choice as an all-around pistol, that's not as true today.

Edited by EricW

0. Get a gun that fits you.

1. Fly before you buy, if possible.

2. Get a gun that fits you.

3. Get a gun that fits you.

Should I write it again? Hopefully not. Don't worry about accuracy. Worry about how the controls and how you interact with them. You're going to be doing a boatload of mag changes as a Production shooter, so I'd made double damned sure that whatever pistol I chose was just incredibly easy for YOU to reload. Everyone else's success stories and/or wish lists should mean exactly diddly to you.

Someone has succeeded with everything at some point in time, and that should tell you that a pistol from any of the major players is a good choice. The question is, what's the best choice for you? I think the three primary considerations are trigger reach, mag button accessibility, and grip angle compatibility. That last one is less of an issue than most make of it because you can generally change the elevation of a pistol by how far you extend it on the draw. What you don't want to have is a pistol with the front sight lifted above the rear when your elbows are locked out. That's your clear-cut sign of grip angle incompatibility.

And FWIW, the market has changed radically in pistols lately. Where a Glock would traditionally have been my first, second, and third choice as an all-around pistol, that's not as true today.

I have shot a Glock several times. I think it would take a little time to get used to the trigger but other then that I liked the guns I have shot. I am going to see if anyone at one of the next meets will let me try one. Don't really know how to do that, Perhaps I can just chat with someone and see if they offer. Unless using my friends 4 inch Glock .40 counts. I know I can shoot it any time I like. I don't have a holster for it but just range work is easy enough to come by.

Care to add another gun to the list? I did get to use a XD and I did not like the grip safety. It failed to fire several times as a result. I am sure I could train that away. Doesn't it compete in some odd class in USPSA. I want a 5 inch so I would have to wait for the SW9 Tactical. CZ makes a nice gun but I never cared for the DA/SA. My Kahr is DA and I have mastered it far more then I used to when I owned a PT99 that had a LONG DA that I really hated.

Edited by 98sr20ve

Just pick a horse and ride. Seriously. Just get one that you can comfortably reach the controls on and shoot. The rest will shake itself out. You sound like you're at the point where all you need is a $400 pistol and a Dillon from Brian. There's a couple $400 CZ's in the classifieds. $400 Glocks are a dime a dozen.

Just pick a horse and ride. Seriously. Just get one that you can comfortably reach the controls on and shoot. The rest will shake itself out. You sound like you're at the point where all you need is a $400 pistol and a Dillon from Brian. There's a couple $400 CZ's in the classifieds. $400 Glocks are a dime a dozen.

I already reload. Thats not a issue.

Where do I find a $400 Glock 34?

I have a 17 and a 34, and have shot them both in matches. I see very little difference. I prefer the 34 for the extra sight radius, but I'm biased too. I have shot the 34 a lot more than the 17. Either will work. The 17 is a touch less difficult to set up to a 128-130 PF load. If you are shooting hotter than that, either should not require any recoil spring modifications. Talk to Lizard. He is a wealth of knowledge, and would probably loan you one of his 34's and gear for a match if you asked him.

I have found I can tank a stage just as well with an STI as I can with a Glock. The Glock is cheaper to tank with. :D Damned if that STI isn't the most accurate gun I've ever shot though. It's the indian that is having issues. I shot my obligatory two matches with it. I will be going back to production now, back to working on my production M card. Besides, B class limited with a 52% is far from intimidating. I want an A card in Limited at 52% ;)

Now reading rules. Seems the G34/35 is great for SSP but not "Prodution Approved" for USPSA. So I need to compromise with a G17/22/MP9/40 or get the G34/35 and be one class up in USPSA stuff. I don't know if I care either way. Any thoughts on which might be the best way to go?

Edited by 98sr20ve

Now reading rules. Seems the G34/35 is great for SSP but not "Prodution Approved" for USPSA. So I need to compromise with a G17/22/MP9/40 or get the G34/35 and be one class up in USPSA stuff. I don't know if I care either way. Any thoughts on which might be the best way to go?

The Glock 34 and 35 are not approved for IPSC production division. But they ARE approved for USPSA production division.

Get the 35 if you want the most lee-way in which division it will work, but be prepared to pay a little more for the 40 cal bullets etc. If reloading costs are an issue, get the 34 and shoot USPSA production. The 35 will work comfortably in Limited, Lim-10, and production without really giving any ground in performance, but the 34 will be cheaper to feed in ammo costs. I personally recommend going the Glock 34 route first and using the extra money for more ammo and training from good instructors. Besides, Glocks are the Lay's chips of guns, you can't have just one. You will eventually end up with a second.

Starting in production vs limited has advantages and disadvantages, but I think the benefits of starting in production outweigh what you would get from limited. Production really boils down to accuracy and mag changes because of the 10 round mag limit and minor scoring. Limited allows for easier stage shooting breakdowns because the extra rounds in the gun allow for easier shooting sequences on higher round count stages. Each division has it's little quirks, but in the end, accuracy is just sooooo damn important. Production Division Nationals was won by less that the difference between an 'A' hit vs a 'C' hit this year.

You can't really go wrong with either. Just pick one and kill paper.

I was recently in the same boat. 3 months ago, my wife told me "just get it and be done with it". My smug response was to tell her that I didn't need it, and that I had the willpower to resist. I was wrong..I ordered it yesterday... a CZ75 SPO1 from Angus Hobdell's custom shop. However, they will not send it until the man himself tests it personally, and he's in France at a match :( Give in to the dark side, and get what makes your hands happy.

I was recently in the same boat. 3 months ago, my wife told me "just get it and be done with it". My smug response was to tell her that I didn't need it, and that I had the willpower to resist. I was wrong..I ordered it yesterday... a CZ75 SPO1 from Angus Hobdell's custom shop. However, they will not send it until the man himself tests it personally, and he's in France at a match :( Give in to the dark side, and get what makes your hands happy.

I really want to. I am so undecided on the choices that I am stuck. I am probably going to drive to another town today that actually has the four top picks on my list all in one place. Your CZ is on my list as I have not touched one in a decade. Can you answer this question? Is the SP01 to heavy for SSP? Specs say it is from what I can tell. Some say light grip panels solve that issue.

I only shoot IPSC, and am not familiar with IDPA rules, so I can't help with that. OTOH, I absolutely DETEST the factory CZ triggers...straight from the factory, the SPO1 triggers are near useless except as a grip exerciser IMO. If you find the ergonomics of the pistol agreeable, it's a solid platform, and a Matt Mink or Angus Hobdell trigger setup makes for a sweet shooter.

Here in the states, we shoot USPSA, not IPSC. IPSC is the international body. Many will say "Ip-sic" when they talk about our shooting. It's a generic term.

The G34/35 are most certainly legal in USPSA Production.

Here in the states, we shoot USPSA, not IPSC. IPSC is the international body. Many will say "Ip-sic" when they talk about our shooting. It's a generic term.

The G34/35 are most certainly legal in USPSA Production.

From IPSC.ORG Under Production Division List.

17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 36, 37, 38, 39

Also approved are variants with original Glock barrels which are longer than standard (e.g. 17A, 17DK, 17PRO), as well as variants with "Tactical", "Mariner" or similar OFM engravings on the slide, provided the barrel length does not exceed 127mm, and provided all other aspects of these variants fully comply with all other Production Division rules.

Not Approved:

18, 24, 25, 28, 34, 35, L and C models

I am so confused.

Edit, Also the G34/35 have a sub 5 lb trigger from the factory.

Edited by 98sr20ve