Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let's keep promoting USPSA Revolver Division

Carmoney

Realistically, Revo HFs will never be competitive with the auto HFs on any stage with more than 6 shots merely due to the reload delta. Thus revo shooters need to shoot more accurately than do the autos to score well in the points/time equation. Such is life.

You have a point, but that only makes it sweeter when a revolver shooter (especially me) scores better than a auto shooter. :D

My goal is to improve with a revolver to the point that I am not only competing consistently for one of the top spots in revolver, but also coming out ahead of 25% to 50% of the auto shooters. I'll get there I believe, but it will take some time and effort I am sure. ;)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, we just had some 40 shooters shoot the ICORE East Coast Revolver Race. I don't think I've ever seen that many people shooting revolvers at one time. But... out of all those shooters, how many would show up and shoot Revolver at a local USPSA match? Hardly anybody. Competitors love their eight shooters, dot sights and 120 PF. When the event is 6+0, iron sights and major/minor scoring the participation seems to change dramatically. Then you have those who shoot mostly IDPA, even though I have never seen anybody held accountable to 165 PF since the division split. I am convinced that USPSA is the way to go but I really don't like being the only revolver shooter at a match! If I could get even one other determined revolver shooter to show up then I'd stop shooting Production.

Dave Sinko

To be honest, I was toying with the idea of going back to a bottom feeder next year.

BUT, after having SOOO much fun at nationals, and other major matches, I plan on sticking with the wheelgun.

It's just too much fun.

Besides, you should have seen me trying to clear a Texas star last weekend with my open gun. :sick: It was pathetic. Good thing that mag held 28 rounds.

OK, we just had some 40 shooters shoot the ICORE East Coast Revolver Race. I don't think I've ever seen that many people shooting revolvers at one time. But... out of all those shooters, how many would show up and shoot Revolver at a local USPSA match? Hardly anybody. I am convinced that USPSA is the way to go but I really don't like being the only revolver shooter at a match! If I could get even one other determined revolver shooter to show up then I'd stop shooting Production.

Dave Sinko

I know that it can sometimes be hard being "the only guy" but being out there for other guys to see oftentimes attracts new wheelgunners. Think about it, if you started going to USPSA matches with your wheelgun there might be another closet wheelgunner there who is thinking just like you: "if only I had somebody to shoot with..." Presto! There you are, and the other guy finally gets the nerve to try it.

I've been shooting wheelgun since I got into USPSA about six years ago and I've seen a lot of growth, mostly because of guys being out at matches and other shooters seeing what a good time we have. If I had a nickel for every time I heard: "Man, that looks like a lot of fun!" after completing a stage...

Some of the auto guys can be a pain with the ballbreaking, but that sword cuts two ways: when you smoke their asses on a stage they are usually very quiet. So quiet you can often hear a new shooter say: "Man, he just did that with a revolver!"

Get out there and have fun.

When the event is 6+0, iron sights and major/minor scoring the participation seems to change dramatically.

It's very hard to become highly proficient at USPSA-style shooting. And it's much harder yet to become proficient in Revolver division. Which is exactly why the challenge is so intriguing for a certain group of diehards who are not looking for the easy path!

With our Iowa Back-to-Back match firing up tomorrow, I've been talking with several experienced USPSA shooters from other divisions who are switching over to Revo just for this one match. Just yesterday a Master-level Limited shooter called my cell phone and said, "I've been shooting my revolver trying to get ready for the Back-to-Back, and I'll tell you what, I've really gained some new respect for you revolver guys."

In the same vein, I respect him for being willing to step outside his comfort zone and having the balls to come out and compete with the round gun, knowing it's going to be tough.

To be honest, I was toying with the idea of going back to a bottom feeder next year.

+1 but not because of anything except my thumbs need a rest so I have stopped shooting revolver for this year except for a couple ICORE and steel matches and went to the S&W M&P for Limited and now headed to Production to lessen the recoil even more.

My 4" Miculek revolver is currently having a 6" barrel fitted so I will be ready for revolver again next season. If worse comes to worse, I will shoot revolver minor for lower recoil to save my hands for work :angry2: I have 6 matches in the next 5 weeks and will be shooting the M&P with a minor PF 45ACP load in production. It will be different.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

I'm one of the newbies coming over from autoland. I'm a middle of the pack shooter with my limited gun but started shooting the wife's 686 and had a hoot with it. Shooting a COF with it makes me think under pressure which I really like. Plus it is fun to tease the bottomfeeders. We had a really tough stage on Sunday with two sets of four target arrays and a double spinner that we had to shoot through a port. I beat 40% of the field including a guy who was razzing me about shooting something so out of date. I also had 4 guys come up and say how much fun it looked to shoot a revo fast. It was a great, fun day.

If you want to shoot minor... shoot minor. Its what I'll be shooting at the back to back. I always (more or less) view this sport as a competition against myself.

Doesn't mean I'm not lusting after a 625, or for that matter a 627 to shoot in production if I don't get a few more wheelies to play with locally. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bubber shot Minor at the Nats, and I shot Minor (not by choice) at the WS Qual.

Since you have to shoot a lot of A's anyway, it doesn't hurt as much as you'd think.

Another option, if the 625 hurts, is to shoot a 686 with moonclips. Agnes Baumgartner, all five feet nothing of her, shot a 586 Major at WS in Ecuador. In Minor it would be a a creampuff to shoot, and the selection of grips is much greater.

Hmm, sounds like an article idea.....

Since you have to shoot a lot of A's anyway, it doesn't hurt as much as you'd think.

Another option, if the 625 hurts, is to shoot a 686 with moonclips. Agnes Baumgartner, all five feet nothing of her, shot a 586 Major at WS in Ecuador. In Minor it would be a a creampuff to shoot, and the selection of grips is much greater.

Right now all revolvers "Hurt"

Semi auto just hurts a little less ;)

If I shoot revolver minor, I still have my old IDPA load or my 627

For now I will see how the other half lives

I agree. That is a nice article idea. And as uncomfortable as a Major 625 can be, at times. I'm thinking it is an idea that will gain favor over the years.

• 3 weeks later...

Well.....................

Looking at the Area-3 results.

It appears there were a wopping 3 wheelgunners at the match ???? <_<

Congrats go out to Jess on his win. He will now get a slot to the 2008 USPSA nationals and NOT have to wait, or try to get on the silly list.........or walk on if possible.

The future of the division is up to you folks out there getting more participation, not just one or two or the Flabby Four :P The BOD does look at the numbers, and it will be looked at quite hard in the next 4 years by several members that have been reelected so if you want revolver to remain in USPSA as a division get out and promote it. Having 3 at an AREA match DOES NOT CUT IT !!!!!!!

Hopalong

Pete, Gary,

I have never had an uncomfortable/painful experience with a major load in a 625 unless the grips were too small for my hands. A little exercise with a tennis ball and and a different set of grips might help.

Bob

Congrats go out to Jess on his win. He will now get a slot to the 2008 USPSA nationals and NOT have to wait, or try to get on the silly list.........or walk on if possible.

The future of the division is up to you folks out there getting more participation, not just one or two or the Flabby Four :P The BOD does look at the numbers, and it will be looked at quite hard in the next 4 years by several members that have been reelected so if you want revolver to remain in USPSA as a division get out and promote it. Having 3 at an AREA match DOES NOT CUT IT !!!!!!!

Hopalong

The Western PA Sectional this past weekend had 6 revolver shooters, and the squad I shot on had three of those 6, including the division winner, Dennis Smith. As that was a sanctioned Level 3 match , would that qualify Dennis for next year's Nationals?

Hopalong

The Western PA Sectional this past weekend had 6 revolver shooters, and the squad I shot on had three of those 6, including the division winner, Dennis Smith. As that was a sanctioned Level 3 match , would that qualify Dennis for next year's Nationals?

No it does not. UNLESS............the section gives the winner a section slot.

A level III match MUST have 20 or more in the division to get three (3) slots to the top 3 spots.

Dennis already has won a slot to the 2008 nationals for winning the Area-8 match so he did not need one any way. ;)

Now back to the programming..................

It's pretty bad when a section match draws more than Area matches !!!!!!! so get out and promote !!!!!

Hop

Sam and Darren and I were signed up to shoot Revolver at Area 3, but pulled out of the match for reasons related to my work. I have a very serious wrongful death lawsuit coming up for trial in three weeks and I just can't afford the time away right now.

(By the way, I just walked in the door after a work day that started about 17 hours ago.....)

I have a very serious wrongful death lawsuit coming up for trial in three weeks and I just can't afford the time away right now.

I hope you're found not guilty.... :goof: Did the unplugged dremel at the scene give you away?

Sorry, that was too easy :blush: and I'm lacking self control as usual.

Steve, you cannot possibly imagine the carnage I could wreak upon the innocent if my Dremel skills ever took a turn to the dark side....it's horrifying to even consider the possibility that someday "the gift" could turn into something ugly and evil.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

I would love to shoot revolver, but here's what took me out of it. I spent some coin getting a Taurus 608 built up for Open division, when then there was an Open Revolver category (not a division). When the rules came out in whenever that said that >6 shot revo's went to L10 and there would no longer be a Revolver category in Open that's when I ditched it. It was probably about the same time USPSA ditched categories for military personnel too. So that left me with a revo for ICORE only and wasn't in a position to shoot ICORE regularly at all.

I've got the bug, but want to shoot the wheel gun more than once maybe every month or two.

Rich

BTW...anyone know who makes custom moon clips or ones for a Taurus?

Rich, I hear what you're saying. That must have been pretty frustrating.

Most places right now if you want to have real competition in Revolver division, you pretty much have to travel around to the big matches. The downside is it gets damned expensive and time-consuming. The upside is the quality of the matches, getting to see new places around the country, and becoming part of a national fraternity of serious wheelgunners.

When Rich gets back from the "Sandbox" he'll "retire" again from the army and go back to CALIFORNIA. Where he will then be able to bump elbows with Carden, Bagakis, and the rest of the "Wacky Western Wheelgunners" :goof: !

He will then be able to get rid of the Tarus, get a good 625 and promtly KICK THIER ARSE !!!

UNTIL then.....................

Keep your head down and thanks for serving Rich.

HOP

Edit for spelling !

Edited by hopalong

• 5 months later...

I think something that could put a spark into revolvers would be a simple USPSA rule change. Allow Open Revolvers to compete in all divisions except Revolver Division. For 99.9% of us shooting is about having fun. The other .1% actually make money. For fun factor I don't think that it could get much better that using an Open Revo in Single Stack Class. The revo has slower reloads. Both would be allowed to shoot major power factor. 8 rounds to 8 rounds. And your optics and holster would be better than the Single Stack. Most would still argue that the Single Stack is faster but it would be great fun just seeing how many of these autos you could best. A lot of fun could also be had using the Open Revo in Production. The revolvers 8 major rounds against the Production autos 10 minor rounds. I think that if something like this could be passed a skilled shooter with an Open Revo could have more fun than Don Quixote in a field of windmills.

Here is something I found a little odd. Three neighboring southern states. Here's the roundgun attendance:

Alabama Sectional 0 Revo

Georgia A-6 5 Revo

South Carolina Sect 11 Revo

With 11 Revo shooters at Carolina , I was thinking the larger Area 6 match would have produced even more, but that was not the case. Only 1 GM (J M), 2 B, and 2 C shooters.

One of the cool things about the Carolina match was most of the Revo guys were squadded together.

I think something that could put a spark into revolvers would be a simple USPSA rule change. Allow Open Revolvers to compete in all divisions except Revolver Division. For 99.9% of us shooting is about having fun. The other .1% actually make money. For fun factor I don't think that it could get much better that using an Open Revo in Single Stack Class. The revo has slower reloads. Both would be allowed to shoot major power factor. 8 rounds to 8 rounds. And your optics and holster would be better than the Single Stack. Most would still argue that the Single Stack is faster but it would be great fun just seeing how many of these autos you could best. A lot of fun could also be had using the Open Revo in Production. The revolvers 8 major rounds against the Production autos 10 minor rounds. I think that if something like this could be passed a skilled shooter with an Open Revo could have more fun than Don Quixote in a field of windmills.

You can shoot your open revo at any match you want. You will be in open class but you can compare your scores to any division you want. If you are just out to have fun, it shouldn't matter what division you are in, Right?

The problem is all the guys who talk about shooting open revo's don't do it.