Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let's keep promoting USPSA Revolver Division

Carmoney

We're definitely on a roll, guys.

--A record number of Revolver Division shooters at Nationals.

--USPSA Presidential candidates who care about helping us grow as a division.

--A new wheelgunning member of Team Smith & Wesson, the delightful Annette Aysen.

I don't want to spill anyone's secrets, but I can tell you that I have been corresponding with a very high-level GM Production shooter who has recently become interested in shooting revolvers in competition. Two other luminaries from the IPSC/USPSA world (who coincidentally both happen to be well-known pistolsmiths) have also been talking with me about getting started in USPSA Revo. I know that Bob Perdue has sold his excellent North Mountain Moonclip Holders to several shooters who compete at the highest levels in other divisions.

Let's keep promoting "this thing of ours" to our shooting friends!

Edited by Carmoney

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shooting a BRT in competition is more mentally demanding than any of the other divisions. Not only do we have to keep track of how many shots we've fired, and reload more frequently, but we've got so many moon clips on the ground that we've got to remember where they each got dropped, to make it possible to find them in the glop of a wet, muddy stage.

I think the bottom-feeders realize it takes a superior intellect to cope, and shy away from facing the challenge. :rolleyes:

Awww............

Pi$$ on it, When a person can't even BRIBE others into bringing/talking more than 6 to the NATIONALS with a chance at a GUN, MOONCLIP HOLDER, MOONCLIPS, GUN PARTS and CASH what's the use of keeping on trying................ I've been trying pretty darn hard for the last 4 years but don't seem to be getting much returns.

Hop

Pay no attention to Baldy. He's just grumpy from the uncomfortable beds at the Best Western. ;)

The truth is, our division is seeing a very nice growth trend. We're never going to be a huge division, it's frankly just too difficult for most shooters to use our equipment effectively. But we continue to grow, and USPSA's headquarters knows it.

Did you see in Front Sight how all the candidates for USPSA President, including the incumbent, are now going out of their way to express support for Revolver Division as an independent division? They know we are influential beyond what our raw numbers might suggest.

We are on the right track.

Awww............

Pi$$ on it, When a person can't even BRIBE others into bringing/talking more than 6 to the NATIONALS with a chance at a GUN, MOONCLIP HOLDER, MOONCLIPS, GUN PARTS and CASH what's the use of keeping on trying................ I've been trying pretty darn hard for the last 4 years but don't seem to be getting much returns.

Hop

Keep the faith Hop, the 2008 Mississippi Classic will reach the magic number. Are you going to the Area 3? I think only

Carmoney and 6 others are in. I'm not yet.

the delightful Annette Aysen.

I shoot with her and Elliot often and agree whole heartily. They will be ROing a squad at the ICORE CUP on October 14. If you asked nice I might even squad you with them.

I don't want to spill anyone's secrets, but I can tell you that I have been corresponding with a very high-level GM Production shooter who has recently become interested in shooting revolvers in competition. Two other luminaries from the IPSC/USPSA world (who coincidentally both happen to be well-known pistolsmiths) have also been talking with me about getting started in USPSA Revo.
Yep, I just did a turn-key 625 rig for a 95% Limited shooter from Louisiana. He's loving it, the thrill, the suspense... He plans on coming out after the Gator Classic is over.

I just jumped into USPSA and went straight for revolver division. I shot the 2007 NC IDPA State Championships in Stock Service Revolver using a Ruger Alaskan, and you should have seen the looks I got. :lol: If you don't know the Alaskan is a 42oz revolver with a 2 1/2" barrel chambered for .454 Casull/ .45 Colt ammunition ( I use .45 Colt of course...Duh!). I am going to use the Alaskan in the 2007 NC USPSA Sectionals in October. I have a blast shooting revolver in competition, when I don't get a headache figuring out how I am going to shoot stages. :blink:

I have found that shooting revolver in competition has improved my shooting in general, and my problem solving skills during courses of fire. I am a better focused shooter since I have been shooting revolver in IDPA and USPSA. I have been working on my speedloading skills, and am happy with my progress. I find it interesting that with a revolver one can shoot in two categories in IDPA (Stock Service Revolver & Enhanced Service Revolver) and three categories in USPSA (Production, Revolver, and Open).

Life is good.

:lol::D

I am a bottom feeder and plan to shoot the NC Sectional in October.

The last time I checked there were 16 shooters signed up in the revolver

dividion.

My hats off to the revo shooters. I feel like a spas just watching you guys shoot.

I just have to remember that I want to shoot the stages at my speed, and not the speed of the others in my squad. Being that I am the only wheelgun the the bunch. ;)

The only difference between the speed or pace a bottom feeder shoots and a Revolver shoots is the reload - or that's the way it should be. Your shot tempo should be right there with anyone, ANYONE running a bottom feeder with about equal ability, with the exception of being a bit slower on the reloads. For example, you run a Revo and somebody of roughly equal ability runs a bottom feeder, your difference in time should not be any greater than the time it took for the extra reloads and the slightly longer individual reload times. And likely the difference will be less because you know you don't have the luxury of extra shots and therefore will make the hits.

After you get the idea about shooting a Revo at speed, this causes bottom feeders to get all twitchy and thinking about getting their butt kicked by a Revolver - very irritating , especially to Open shooters.

Edited by Viggen

I just have to remember that I want to shoot the stages at my speed, and not the speed of the others in my squad. Being that I am the only wheelgun the the bunch. ;)

The only difference between the speed or pace a bottom feeder shoots and a Revolver shoots is the reload - or that's the way it should be. Your shot tempo should be right there with anyone, ANYONE running a bottom feeder with about equal ability, with the exception of being a bit slower on the reloads. For example, you run a Revo and somebody of roughly equal ability runs a bottom feeder, your difference in time should not be any greater than the time it took for the extra reloads and the slightly longer individual reload times. And likely the difference will be less because you know you don't have the luxury of extra shots and therefore will make the hits.

After you get the idea about shooting a Revo at speed, this causes bottom feeders to get all twitchy and thinking about getting their butt kicked by a Revolver - very irritating , especially to Open shooters.

I understand your point, but there are other factors that come into play. I have seen auto shooters that will fire 3-5 shots on each target as fast as they can knowing that they have the rounds to spare. Revolver shooters CAN shoot as fast, but are generally more deliberate with the shots they fire. If I shoot at the pace of an auto shooter that has a high volume of shots, I'll not be putting my shots where they should go as well. Now If I shoot at my pace I can put my two shots where they need to go in the same time that the auto shooter empties the 3-5 shots they fire. This would mean that my tempo is slower than the auto shooter, but I am getting the shots where they need to be in about the same time overall.

Watching some of the videos of some of the higher level auto and revolver shooters shooting the same stages, there is a clear difference in the tempo they have. There times are close, but the auto edges out the revolver the majority of the time strictly on tempo. Yes the reloading makes a difference, but I have seen Miculek reload as fast or faster than many auto shooters. Even then competitors that are of the same caliber as miculek often edge him out on stages using autos.

Its the difference between trying to get the shots off as fast as you can, and trying to get the shots off where you want them as fast as you can. No offense meant to anyone, as it is all a game.

No offense intended but you are not understanding the meaning of what I said or maybe I need to be more clear. Shot tempo is accrate shot tempo. Any auto shooter who runs 3-5 rounds per target is not someone who is going anywhere in this game - think loser. But Accurate shot tempo is a lot faster than most revolver guys think it can be and it's not nearly in the spray-n-pray speed of someone running way outside of their ability and not making hits.

Part of Jerry being just a little slower than a semi- is that with a 625 Jerry is eating a lot of recoil especially with the skinny wood he favors. In USPSA he runs Major, when he is doing speed shoots he is running a lot lighter load.

What kind of a power factor are you running with your gear?

What are your reload times, shot-to-shot? And what are your shot-to-shot splits?

As far as power factor, I am running about 175k using 250gr LRNFP .45 Colt with a Ruger Alaskan shooting major. My reload times I would guess would be about 3 seconds with speedloaders (maybe a little faster). :unsure: I don't know offhand my shot to shot or shot to shot to shot splits.

I believe that I simply misunderstood your use of terminology from your first post. I have shot around quite a few auto shooters (aside from the 3-5 shots per target variety), who depend on makeup shots (at least from my observation). I try to shoot to my best speed and accuracy, and as long as I keep my focus things go well. I have quite a bit of room for improvement and work to steadily get better.

Part of Jerry being just a little slower than a semi- is that with a 625 Jerry is eating a lot of recoil especially with the skinny wood he favors. In USPSA he runs Major, when he is doing speed shoots he is running a lot lighter load.

When I started shooting a 625 Instead of a 1911 I was surprised how much sharper the 625's recoil was with the same loads. Obviously the round was creating the same amount of recoil but the moving slide in the semi-auto spreads it over a longer period of time.

As far as power factor, I am running about 175k using 250gr LRNFP .45 Colt with a Ruger Alaskan shooting major. My reload times I would guess would be about 3 seconds with speedloaders (maybe a little faster). :unsure: I don't know offhand my shot to shot or shot to shot to shot splits.

I believe that I simply misunderstood your use of terminology from your first post. I have shot around quite a few auto shooters (aside from the 3-5 shots per target variety), who depend on makeup shots (at least from my observation). I try to shoot to my best speed and accuracy, and as long as I keep my focus things go well. I have quite a bit of room for improvement and work to steadily get better.

When it comes down to it, I think we view things the same way. Good workable reload times with that Alaskan.

Realistically, Revo HFs will never be competitive with the auto HFs on any stage with more than 6 shots merely due to the reload delta. Thus revo shooters need to shoot more accurately than do the autos to score well in the points/time equation. Such is life.