Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Florida Open 2008

That sounds like a pretty good plan to me. I shot all day Friday last year because I couldn't stand the fifty minute breaks between each stage on Sat/Sun. My Type A personality liked the fast pace but I was dog tired by the end of the day. This new format looks a lot better. It should help me maintain my concentration as well.

I'll probably stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Sebring. What about you guys?

The same. I meant to make reservations today. Thanks for reminding me. I am looking forward to the match. John will have his new Millenium Gun by then. He had fun shooting production at the nats but says its time to go back to the dark side. :ph34r:

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jack,

There have been a lot of things happening with the match and a lot of changes we discussed are in effect.

I honestly did not think of the Junior's discount when the application was being updated since there was nothing already there to remind me of it.

However, there IS a Junior discount!

Juniors will shoot for $100 with a paying adult.

Leo

The entry form does not reflect a Juniors discount. Weren't Juniors going to be given a discount this year?

Leo,

Music to my ears! Thanks! The app is on the way!

Jack

Jack, Who is the paying adult? Because the accompanying adult doesnt count :lol: Seriously, bring John down, let him shoot open and have a good time as it is the match I dont miss. I didnt know about the 1 in 1999, but I havent missed one since. Its a good time to be in Florida, and anice break in the middle of winter. You get to see some old friends and shoot for 2 days and not worry about the problems of the world.

• 2 weeks later...

If you reserved rooms for the 2008 Florida Open at the Quality Inn, it might be worth your time to confirm that they have reserved the correct dates for you.

It seems that they were under the mistaken impression that the match was to be held on it's usual weekend and have been telling folks that the match was on the 15th , 16th & 17th of February. When I corrected them, they assured me that I was wrong. If you left it up to them to pick the dates, you might have been given the wrong weekend.

The match will be held on February the 8th, 9th & 10th of 2008.

Leo

Will we be able to ship our ammo to the club?

Historically, Frank has accepted ammo shipments at the range.

I am not sure if anyone is living at the range these days, so you might want to contact Frank to insure you use the correct address.

Just a quick note. Hotels aer booking up fast. The holiday inn express in Sebring is full.

I am staying at the marriot residence inn. They said they have a surge in reservations right now. The Inn on the lakes has a few rooms left.

I thought I would update all who have not booked yet

• 1 month later...

Latest news from the Registration folks...

The Sat PM and Sunday AM shooting schedule is filling up fast. If that is your preference, get your application in quickly!

Remember, ALL APPLICANTS WISHING TO BE SQUADDED TOGETHER SHOULD MAILE THEIR APPLICATIONS IN THE SAME ENVELOPE!

Good luck to all!

The Sat PM and Sunday AM shooting schedule is filling up fast. If that is your preference, get your application in quickly!

Remember, ALL APPLICANTS WISHING TO BE SQUADDED TOGETHER SHOULD MAILE THEIR APPLICATIONS IN THE SAME ENVELOPE!

Good luck to all!

Leo,

Will we get confirmations? I sent in apps for me and my son in late Sept. It looks like the check has not cleared. Should I worry?

Good luck to all!

Leo,

Will we get confirmations? I sent in apps for me and my son in late Sept. It looks like the check has not cleared. Should I worry?

I emailed Frank a week or so ago and got a response from someone else on his behalf saying that my app was received and all was a go. I believe the person that emailed me said that they had run out of confirmation cards and that Frank was in Iraq so they were a little behind.

Good luck to all!

Leo,

Wadette emailed me this morning confirming that they had received my app. She indicated that they had run out of confirmation cards. Thanks, Wadette!

Just put my application in the mail, this morning.

Thinking about flying into Fort Myers/St Augustine. Any traffic issues twixt there and Frostproof? Skybus (www.skybus.com) has ridiculously low prices ($40 each way), if I'm willing to drive an hour from Raleigh to Greensboro....For the past matches I've flown into Orlando, but always seem to get stuck in road construction or congestion.

I have a few questions on the format change..

First is why? Was there that much of a problem before? If so, I did not see it.

Second, what is the Sat morning Sun afternoon squads to do for a full day in Frostproof? I can't imagine doing any site seeing and that is a long down time.

Third, and most important, what is the contingency plan IF the Sun morning squads are running late and shoot into the Sun afternoon time? Are the Sun afternoon squads shooting into the dark or are stages being thrown out? An answer on this one is really needed.

I know I am not the only one a little worried with a format change seeing what has happened in another recent FL match. Other shooters have expressed their worry but are not forum members so I have posted to get some answers. Hopefully there is a plan in place and not the standard "It will be OK" line.

Thanks, oh and yes I have shot the open before so I don't need to hear what a great match it is answer to the questions. I know it's a great match that's why I am concerned. A huge format change like this could be trouble if plans for problems are not in place.

I have a few questions on the format change..

First is why? Was there that much of a problem before? If so, I did not see it.

Second, what is the Sat morning Sun afternoon squads to do for a full day in Frostproof? I can't imagine doing any site seeing and that is a long down time.

Third, and most important, what is the contingency plan IF the Sun morning squads are running late and shoot into the Sun afternoon time? Are the Sun afternoon squads shooting into the dark or are stages being thrown out? An answer on this one is really needed.

I know I am not the only one a little worried with a format change seeing what has happened in another recent FL match. Other shooters have expressed their worry but are not forum members so I have posted to get some answers. Hopefully there is a plan in place and not the standard "It will be OK" line.

Thanks, oh and yes I have shot the open before so I don't need to hear what a great match it is answer to the questions. I know it's a great match that's why I am concerned. A huge format change like this could be trouble if plans for problems are not in place.

The format change was made due to popular demand. This was NOT Frank's idea and was only accepted after he received overwhelming request for a change. If you doubt this, use the search function at look at the comments posted here. The new format allows you to shoot the same number of stages without having to be "stuck" at the range for the entire day. People complained about too much waiting and not enough shooting. This allows you to do whatever you would like to do for half of the day. Frostpoof is not Disney, but there is decent food available and things to do if you want to look.

While this will be the first Florida Open under the new half-day schedule, it is NOT the first match that the staff has run with that schedule. They already have several large matches, that have been well organized and ran smoothly, using the half day schedule. The schedule is not likely to cause any problems that would not happen with an alternate schedule.

The staff running the event has the knowledge, skills and experience to see that everything runs smoothly and timely.

Thanks for the heads up.

I have no doubt the RO's will do the best job as possible, I know a good number of them personally. The RO's will NOT be the problem if there is trouble.

I do have one more issue. It's just a math thing...

I figure with 300 shooters divided by 2 for the two different day squads equals 150 shooters per day squad divided by 12 for the stages equals a little over 12 per squad. I would think 4 to 5 minutes per stage per shooter and a 5 minute walk through would be right at 1 hour per stage best case with zero re-shoots. This would mean 6 hours to do 6 stages a day, right? If my math is correct, and we start shooting at 7:00AM, the first squads would finish at 1:00PM. The RO's do a 30 minute lunch, shooting would begin at 1:30PM and go to 7:30PM (?).

Is this what has been figured by the match director or is my math wrong?

So if the afternoon squad of the first day stops when it starts to get dark around 6:30 at that time of the year, where do they make up the extra hour (1 stage by my math)? On Sunday afternoon? If they do, then won't that push the Sunday afternoon squad to shot even later into the evening (they will already be shooting 1 stage after 6:30 according to what I am seeing, possibly 2 if the are delayed in starting at 1:30PM).

My math just does not work it out, but I admit I may not be seeing the whole picture. If You could just help me on this point I would appreciate it. If you would like to contact me off the forum that would be fine too. I just need a little hand holding on this, as well as some of my other shooting buddies...

Thanks!

Me .02 is that I like the change. Let's you get "in the flow" of the shooting/stages. No shoot.........wait..............shoot...............wait etc. Great idea, looking forward to Feb already.

I agree with staying hot and a good flow, I am just worried about the time available.

Mike,

Please don't take this as a cop-out to answering your question directly, but this is definitely WAY above my pay grade. Part of the answer is likely that some folks shoot all day Friday, along with the RO's, and that reduces the load on Saturday & Sunday.

They will likely keep the squad size down to 10 people.

If you would like to e-mail Wadette directly, I am sure that she can give you accurate info on her squadding model.

Leo

Mike,

Please don't take this as a cop-out to answering your question directly, but this is definitely WAY above my pay grade. Part of the answer is likely that some folks shoot all day Friday, along with the RO's, and that reduces the load on Saturday & Sunday.

They will likely keep the squad size down to 10 people.

If you would like to e-mail Wadette directly, I am sure that she can give you accurate info on her squadding model.

Leo

Thanks Leo. I will do that.

See you there.

12 stages / 300 rounds this year according to the Application.

Edited by AA-Wolf