Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 40 4" or 5"

VeryBadshot

Hey gang!

S&W sent me an e-mail saying the 5 inch should be out in 90 days or so. I would some feedback on 4 or 5 inch guns. Have spent most of my shooting (pre USPSA) on 5 inch 1911's. Currently running a XD40 tact in L10, but want to try my hand with the M&P40. Which is a great reason to (atleast I keep telling myself and anyone who listen) get another pistol :wacko:

So let me have it......buy now or wait for the 5inch?

Hey gang!

S&W sent me an e-mail saying the 5 inch should be out in 90 days or so. I would some feedback on 4 or 5 inch guns. Have spent most of my shooting (pre USPSA) on 5 inch 1911's. Currently running a XD40 tact in L10, but want to try my hand with the M&P40. Which is a great reason to (atleast I keep telling myself and anyone who listen) get another pistol :wacko:

So let me have it......buy now or wait for the 5inch?

5"

If you can knock em down with the 4" version, just imagine the boost youll get when you pickup a longslide version!

Thats what Im telling myself, anyway.

Really, though,

When I do my part, the 4" version does its part. I can shoot standards with it, it has good accuracy, not great, but it can take me as far as I want to go.

Its not like the 5" will shoot itself. Plus, youre just in a holding pattern if you wait for the 5", you could be practicing with the platform RIGHT NOW.

Edited by mike cyrwus

If youre used to a 5 inch gun, I would get another 5 inch gun. I dont think there is much difference in shootability, but there is a longer sight radius that can help with long tight shots.

If you already have a gun youre shooting mathces with, I would wait and just make it a Winter (off season) project. You will need a new holster, and mags, etc. etc. etc.

My 2 cents.

The closest comparison would be between the Glock 22 and 35 since they are both polymer guns, or the XD and XD Tactical. Personally I would go with the longer gun in .40. I prefer the 17 in 9mm over the 34, but for the .40, it's a different critter. The 35 seems to point about the same, the grip is same for sure, but there is less flip with it than the 22. The 22 just seems to torque alot for me.

The last info i got on the M&P forum, the 5" will be released in 9mm. A 40 prob wont come out for some time.

I currently have a M&P40 it has a 4.25" barrel. A 5" would be cool, but i would ONLY buy it in a 40. I want the option to shoot Prod, L10, or Limited.

I would hold out for the longer barrel myself. I have a Glock 35, Love it! I want a M&P, but will not settle for the 4 inch barrel...not yet anyway!

With the longer barrel you get extended sight radius and probably increased bullet performance. Higher velocities should be able to be reached...although this is subjective at this point, because I have heard of no one shooting the 5 inch M&P.

The last info i got on the M&P forum, the 5" will be released in 9mm. A 40 prob wont come out for some time.

I currently have a M&P40 it has a 4.25" barrel. A 5" would be cool, but i would ONLY buy it in a 40. I want the option to shoot Prod, L10, or Limited.

Wish I had asked which, seems like there would more demand for a 5" in 40 than 9mm. And I also want more options, Prod, L10, or Limited. I love the XD and will keep at it with that till they cough up the 40.

The demand for .40 may be high withing USPSA, but the world at large will prefer the 9mm. I really like shorter guns and the 4.25 is about perfect for me, I prefer the balance and the slide speed with minor loads. I could never warm up to the Glock 35 and even when I was considering switching to a Glock in .40 I was looking at the .22. The 4.25 can make major just fine and it is quite pleasent to shoot, more so then most .40's.

• 3 weeks later...

I am saving my money now for the 5". The problem I have is that (just like a lot of folks) I don't have unlimited resources so buying another 9mm would make sense. But I want the 5" in a 40 if I can get into reloading and if I can spend all that money for new mags. I will use it for limited and limited 10.

I asked myself the same question a few years ago with respect to the two XD-9 lengths. I started with the Service Model which is 4.25 inches and shot it for more than a year in Production. I too could pretty much hit anything I wanted at 25 yards or less as long as I took the time to do my part.

Then I bought a 5-inch Tactical Model with Dawson sights. While it may not seem like much, the extra 3/4 inch really seemed to make a difference. I can shoot the Tactical more accurately and achieve an acceptable sight picture faster.

My Service now has a set of TFO sights on it and I primarily use it for self and home defense. It also serves as a backup Production gun for my Tactical although I've never needed it in more than two years.

My advice is wait for the 5-inch version.

The standard M&P has a 4.25" barrel.

The Pro model will have a 4.75" barrel. We are talking about a 0.5" difference.

I would go ahead and get the standard M&P; give it a run and see how you like it.

The word from S&W is the Pro won't be out until next year sometime. Also, it is supposedly going to built in the Performance Center.

So the price is probably going to be higher.

The Pro model was supposed to be released about 6 months ago. I quit waiting on it and just purchased my 3rd M&P.

I will consider a Pro model when it's sitting on the store shelf.

MPtres.jpg

MPtres2.jpg

MPtres3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

<_< I did a search and did not come up with much. = What Holster would -you people- recomend for the M&P?

You know ...-You Production guys. IM a .Dot S nob. but would like to try a real gun now and thin

I don't want to use my real name ...

OK Strike the question I kept at the search and found a thread>> Thanks :unsure: Don't hate Me :unsure:

Edited by AlamoShooter

In reply to YukonGlocker---per the S&W rep that was at the Nationals, the longlide M&P will be a 5-incher, and WILL NOT be a performance center gun, it will be a standard production model. He was saying they would be out sometime around the beginning of next year. Personally, I like the looks of the M&P and love the idea of a 5 incher, but unless it has an extended mag release from the factory I'm going to stay with my G34 as I have to flip the M&P way around to reach the mag release, just like I do with the CZ (as I'm cursed with tiny little girl hands).

Personally, I like the looks of the M&P and love the idea of a 5 incher, but unless it has an extended mag release from the factory I'm going to stay with my G34 as I have to flip the M&P way around to reach the mag release, just like I do with the CZ (as I'm cursed with tiny little girl hands).

Did you consider switching it to a right side mag drop? I used to do that on my TZ and my 1911 = I liked it

<_< I thought about doing it to theM&P

but unless it has an extended mag release from the factory I'm going to stay with my G34 as I have to flip the M&P way around to reach the mag release, just like I do with the CZ (as I'm cursed with tiny little girl hands).

That sucks :angry2: . I am lucky enough that with the small insert I can get to the mag release almost without moving my hand at all. So much nicer than my Beretta. While I would not mind seeing a factory extended mag release, I would have to pass on the extended slide release. I once shot a G34 (borrowed from a friend) at a match and ended up doing the manually operated pistol thing on the first two stages until we figured out that my hands (which are quite large) were causing the slide stop to ride up.

Can't wait for the 5" guns to make their debut. Did the S&W rep say anything about whether they were just going to release it in 9mm or 40 or both?

In reply to YukonGlocker---per the S&W rep that was at the Nationals, the longlide M&P will be a 5-incher, and WILL NOT be a performance center gun, it will be a standard production model. He was saying they would be out sometime around the beginning of next year. Personally, I like the looks of the M&P and love the idea of a 5 incher, but unless it has an extended mag release from the factory I'm going to stay with my G34 as I have to flip the M&P way around to reach the mag release, just like I do with the CZ (as I'm cursed with tiny little girl hands).

The original prototype had a 4.75" barrel. The latest word I get from my insider is that it will have a 5" barrel, and it will be a performance center gun.

I have heard many conflicting stories from S&W reps regarding the M&P pistols.

I guess we won't know anything for sure until it's out. ;)

90 days from the date of your post probabally isn't going to happen. My recommendation would be to go ahead and get your gun now.

I don't think sight distance is that big of a deal unless you shoot a lot of distant targets.

It won't be exactly 5" it will fit the IPSC box.

a realistic date would be January.

S&W is getting some awesome contracts right now and are behind on production of things such as the 357 sig version of their regular sized gun. I don't see them being on time and ready to go by that 90 days.

Now that you've listened to me and have your regular gun.... when the 5" comes out you can get one of those too. :D this can be a back up, or a carry gun.

The rep at the Nationals said it would be a 9mm. As to whether it will actually be out around January, who knows...S&W has gotten a huge number of police, etc. contracts and is way behind on production. As for switching the mag release button to the right side--my hand just doesn't want to bend that way. I like everything about the G34 for competition except for its light weight, which makes for increased recoil...the M&P longslide will be slightly heavier (I'm guessing 4 ounces at most) but probably not enough to make a huge difference in recoil. That's one of the two reasons so many of the top dogs are switching to the CZ SP01--it weights as much as a Buick, and it's got the same grip angle as a 1911.

Edited by DVC247