Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the hot holster for S_I Limited?

tTito

Gotta be the Gugas...feels more secure than my Limcat and Open/Limited/L10 with the same rig. Pricey doesn't compute when guys'll drop $3600+ on a gun, another $600 on mags then quibble about $200 for a holster. The Gugas mag pouches are too big for me, use my old Safarilands or CR Versa pouches. Oh, and my two Ribas holsters were $169 from Rene but I got on the bandwagon early...are they more now?

• 4 weeks later...
Gotta be the Gugas...feels more secure than my Limcat and Open/Limited/L10 with the same rig. Pricey doesn't compute when guys'll drop $3600+ on a gun, another $600 on mags then quibble about $200 for a holster. The Gugas mag pouches are too big for me, use my old Safarilands or CR Versa pouches. Oh, and my two Ribas holsters were $169 from Rene but I got on the bandwagon early...are they more now?

OK - I think I am sold on the Gugas - now if I could just find one. Hopefully SpeedShooters will get them back in stock soon.

OK - I think I am sold on the Gugas - now if I could just find one. Hopefully SpeedShooters will get them back in stock soon.

Never tried Gugas, but have owned and used Limcat, CRSpeed, Safariland, and Hogue and just got a Ghost. You can not beat it for the money and it locks the gun in. IMHO if your shooting Open and limited--Ghost is the biggest bang for the $$$. If I only shot limited-it would be a DOH. You can get a Ghost for $125 in several days from Shooter's Connection.

+1 for the DOH !!!

It is every bit as fast, ten times as secure, and you don't ever have to worry about your holster being "unlocked" when the start signal goes off. :blink:

Pretty used to my CR but yes you have a point. The wedgie rec'd drawing from a locked holster usually has to be corrected in private!

Once you have the required number of posts to post in the classified section you might try a WTB there. I got one that way pretty quickly.

Been waiting for Rene to have the Guga in stock again...are there any other places where I can get the Guga Ribas? :D

Talked to Rene about them today and he's figuring he'll have some within a couple of weeks. Unless you want to order one through their direct site and deal with import taxes etc, SSI is the only way to get one. I figured out the price in $ and before shipping it works out to $205 at the current exchange rate. No idea what shipping or time frame would be to go that route but even they only had one color in RH and extremely low stock.

Turns out they ran into a problem with a company that did their anodizing and had to find another company which set them back a ways.

For my STI edge, I use a Speedsec, as well for my production HK, I use a Speedsec, but also use the BT DOH. For my new Tanfoglio Stock2, I tried a CR WSM, but prefer the minimalist, so I sold it and got a Ghost, great holster. The only thing is I need to replace the spring that the retention ball uses, it is too light for my liking, and unlocks too easily.

I use Guga mag pouches all around, I use the spacers for my tan mags, and the dimensions of the STI .40 mags and HK USP 9mm mags are similiar so i only have to adjust tension.

For my STI edge, I use a Speedsec, as well for my production HK, I use a Speedsec, but also use the BT DOH. For my new Tanfoglio Stock2, I tried a CR WSM, but prefer the minimalist, so I sold it and got a Ghost, great holster. The only thing is I need to replace the spring that the retention ball uses, it is too light for my liking, and unlocks too easily.

I use Guga mag pouches all around, I use the spacers for my tan mags, and the dimensions of the STI .40 mags and HK USP 9mm mags are similiar so i only have to adjust tension.

Mo, How do you like the Speedsec? Does it hold your pistol secure? Any problems releasing the lock when drawing the gun?

If I didn't need a gun hanging out in the breeze I would still be using a DOH. It is FASTER for me than the CR I am using, possibly more secure (never had a problem with either holster) and just an AWESOME holster at half the price of all the race holsters.

Sorry I'm kinda of new...what is DOH?

If I didn't need a gun hanging out in the breeze I would still be using a DOH. It is FASTER for me than the CR I am using, possibly more secure (never had a problem with either holster) and just an AWESOME holster at half the price of all the race holsters.

DOH = Dropped Offset Holster

JS

It's a Blade Teck Dropped and Offset Holster....solid rid if you don't want a race holster and darn near as fast...just as fast if you're really good. You can also take off the dropped and offset hanger, put on a paddle or normal belt attachment and use it for Production or Single Stack divisions (and IDPA I believe). Only problem with them is that the wait time now is six weeks to get one. R,

DOH = BladeTech Dropped & Offset Holster

Blade Tech website

What Steve said. I've used 4 different types of holsters so far...Limcat, Bianchi, Center of Mass kydex, and my latest is the cr speed. There are soooooooooooo many other things that contribute to a winning run other than the holster.

I personally like the security of the cr speed, I also like the abiliy to be able to use the same holster with my open and limited guns.

Blade-Tech DOH for me in both Limited and Single Stack!!!!

I LOVED the Guga Holster, it was 105% in the cool factor. But......

At the Monster match in '05, there was a stage, lucky for me it was MY last stage, that required a crouched retreat and draw at the same time, well, my right thigh hit the bottom of the muzzle and it fell out of the holster. I ONLY allow equipment to fail me ONCE!!!!! I have enough failures on my own, so, I sold it.

It was a great holster, lots of adjustments, light and yeah, did I say cool?

But, I like piece of mind and yeah, I pick up mags etc. without any worries of my gun falling out at ANYTIME!!!!!

DOH for me, oh yeah, my best draw in practice from my DOH is a .77 A!!!!

Normal is about 1.05-1.10 in a match from Single Stack position.

Mo, How do you like the Speedsec? Does it hold your pistol secure? Any problems releasing the lock when drawing the gun?

To be honest, I like the Ghost, but the Speedsec would be my first choice, but i tried for a while to get one. The lever is easier to unlock, it is slightly lighter and has less parts. The pistols are held secured,,,when locked! The only time I would leave it unlocked is when I was at the firing line, and LAMR has been given. However, if you choose to, you can leave it locked and as your hand comes up you can naturally unlock with out a pause or break in movement. If you use a "snatch" draw,...ie: your hand comes up and from the side more, you should not leave it locked after the LAMR.

Zhunter :

There is no lock system on the Guga ?

I do use a Limcat for some years now and I'm very pleased with it. I tested it a couple of times on very long runs with loaded and / or unloaded pistol. It came out with flying colors. The locking lever is well shaped and placed and easy to manoeuver.

Zhunter :

I do use a Limcat for some years now and I'm very pleased with it. I tested it a couple of times on very long runs with loaded and / or unloaded pistol. It came out with flying colors. The locking lever is well shaped and placed and easy to manoeuver.

There is a lock on the Ribas.

It has three positions...unlocked, semi-locked and locked. If you have it in the semi-locked position you have to move the lever as you draw and hitting the gun with your leg won't knock the gun out. Apparently he had it in the unlocked positionm which actually keeps it pretty secure, when he hit it with his leg while backing up. I like to start stages that require movement before drawing with it semi-locked, but it is one more thing to worry about.

P.S. I wouldn't wish bad luck on anyone, but Z's issue with the Ribas helped me out...it's on my belt now :P

Edited by G-ManBart

Zhunter :

Julien

G-Man answered the question perfectly. I sold my holster him, so he knew my history. No, I did not have it locked at the time it hit my thigh. My mistake, I jsut try to not make the same one twice, so I went to a, what I think is a more secure holster, different system.

Zhunter :

There is a lock on the Ribas.

It has three positions...unlocked, semi-locked and locked. If you have it in the semi-locked position you have to move the lever as you draw and hitting the gun with your leg won't knock the gun out. Apparently he had it in the unlocked positionm which actually keeps it pretty secure, when he hit it with his leg while backing up. I like to start stages that require movement before drawing with it semi-locked, but it is one more thing to worry about.

P.S. I wouldn't wish bad luck on anyone, but Z's issue with the Ribas helped me out...it's on my belt now :P

G-Man

No worries dude, glad it works for you, it is a VERY sexy holster for sure!!!

I've seen many times the Guga, but I have no real idea about how the locking system works.

Is the lever on the inside or the outside of the holster ? The Limcat have it inside and it allows you to move it as you achieve your grip on the pistol.

But to be honest, I had two issues with the Limcat, which both are completely my fault ! Both times, I quickly moved with the unlocked holster before I had a grip on the pistol. Both time I caught the pistol while he was leaving my holster. The second time, I activated the mag release button in the process and I got a fully loaded mag on my foot (glad I shot short IPSC box legal mags and not big sticks ).

Lesson learned: With the Limcat in the unlocked position, try to avoid brutal movement if you doesn't grip the pistol.

When I was shooting a S_I I loved the Limcat, I still think it's the best holster out there, I never had a single problem with it.

Now I shoot Tanfoglio, I wish that Limcat made a model for it. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Doesn't Henning Wallgreen use one ?

Edited by Julien Boit