Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New SVI Gun

Jon Merricks

solid_hybrid_d_350_350.jpgThe limited gun on the slide show looks like it has a hybrid barrel but no holes.  The front sight is mounted on the barrel.

http://www.sviguns.com/photos/solid_hybrid...d_c_350_350.jpg

Anybody know anything about this gun.  Talk about a heavy barrel.  (Tungsten sleeve dont need no stinking Tungsten sleeve.)

BE havent you said something about putting the front sight on the barrel in a post somewhere.

(Edited by Jon Merricks at 3:28 pm on Sep. 9, 2002)

(Edited by Jon Merricks at 3:30 pm on Sep. 9, 2002)

(Edited by Jon Merricks at 3:32 pm on Sep. 9, 2002)

Jon,

Yes, I came up with that idea when working for SV but was told (informally) it would be illegal. I remember thinking it would be really cool, but when I actually tried it I began to doubt. But who knows, it might be the coolest thing ever.

be

I handled one at the RGN. What you see is what you get, a long/wide/slab Limited gun with a hybrid barrel/slide, sans ports. What they need to to is make that barrel with tungsten, then I'll be impressed.

I don't know how it will work with an extra-heavy barrel and an extra-light slide.

I'm most curious about how the front sight tracks on the end of the barrel instead of on the slide. Somebody mentioned it would be worse because the barrel moves up and down as it locks and unlocks.

Btw, Chuck at Shooters Connection tried to float that idea a few years ago and got it shot down as a "prototype".  They didn't mention the front sight issue at the time (which seemed like the main point to me, given Brian's book-- I guess he's mollified that now).  Seems like another not-really-needed arms-race deal to me, but what do I know, I mostly shoot Open :)

I remember this combo came up a few years ago and was approved for Limited. I heard some rumors that the big dogs tried them and didn't care for them. But I never saw one or even heard of somebody building one.

I guess the front sight is not an issue, as back in the day people had their sights on their comps, same thing.

• 1 year later...

I'd like to know. I called SV about 6 months ago; their response was: OK for IPSC, NOT OK for USPSA. I asked them a question, they answered. I think they know a thing or two about USPSA & IPSC. As to the "why?" part, I think their phone number is on their website if you want to call. Better yet, somebody get another ruling from Amidon.

The first gun i shot uspsa with was a singlestack 10mm, front-site-on-the-comp 1911. I can tell you for my eyesight, taping over one eye, that setup is MUCH, MUCH easier to track during recoil than any conventional major caliber autopistol.

If you want to compare, just shoot a .22 that has a moving rear sight and a fixed front sight. If anything, your timing with that is even better than with the rear sight fixed (like on a Ruger .22). Way way easier to track than both sights moving, like a Ciener or AA conversion.

SV can make 5000 of them & I would bet it's not approved for limited or IPSC standard. My $.02

I can't see why it wouldn't be approved for Limited or standard division.

As the new rules state that only porting of the barrel are strictly forbidden.

Lightening the slide is ok, so does the "hybrid without holes" barrel.

But I believe it was already legal, I wouldn't see it as a prototype , it was built with widely available parts (remember the thread about TGO's pistol) just like any gunsmith would do.

A swiss shooter friend of mine recently acquired one and he's very pleased with it.

He believe this is a very good setup , easy to track but i didn't had the chance to try it :(

just a quick "pirep".....

Back before I got into IPSC and was a novice with toomuch credit at the gunstore I had a PARA / Hybrid built.

I also had a Glock 19, and the P-14 Hybrid gun kicked much less BUT the thing even a newbie like me noticed was that the front site stayed in focus all the time.

If it's true that these things are legal they would be a hosers dream out to 15y at least. I shoot a short dustcover relatively light weight gun, but if I could keep the front site from moving so much the better!!!

It is like shooting one of those S&W .22's where the front site is mounted on the barrel. Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasst. :ph34r:

Not saying it's fair or it's the thing to do, just saying from past experience, this is the sort of new modification that uspsa will usually put their foot down and say, "it's too much of an advantage gained, at a high cost to the shooter."

Like $400 to your existing gun, the way I figure it. The welding on a "replacement" dust cover falls in the same catagory; they already changed their mind about the Fred Craig super-heavy Caspian 40cal. I was drooling at the thought of THAT gun until they said no - not in the spirit of the rules.

If I'm wrong, you'll see this set-up catch on quickly & win Limited often.

I don't think this set up would be a big step for limited. Of course, I'm Ok with all the research it required and the "next step" it brings limited to.

It wont make you shoot better, well in fact, it could but, if you're a C class shooter, it won't make you win GM class.

It's still the driver, not the car !

This might make a difference at the highest level, but guys which are using that kind of "space age blasters" are not concerned about the extra cost ;) .