Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

REVOLVER GRIPS

Nemo

For the my first 1.5 year of revolver shooting I used the Miculek grips. I felt handling of the gun (letting go for reload and reacquiring my grip) was faster. However, easlier this year everytime I left a big match my right hand would be hurting as if someone hit it with a hammer. Looked at all the factors that could be causing the pain and started the elimination process. Last thing to come to mind were my revo stocks. I changed to the ole' rubber monogrips and the pain hasn't come back. We'll see after Nationals.

I also have some Hogue rubber big butts, bought form Mr. Perdue, but I'm not using them yet.

Anyway, what are you using in your wheelies? Anybody else experienced the pain with the Miculeks? If you picked other, tell me which.

Thanks,

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody else experienced the pain with the Miculeks? If you picked other, tell me which.

Yes, I tried them for awhile back when I was still switching the gun over to my other hand for reloads, but found the base of thumb was hurting by the time I finished a match using major loads (not bad for steel loads, etc.), so I switched back to rubber Hogues and never looked back. The rubber grips work even better now that I keep the gun in my strong hand during reloads.

The Jerry slick grips are OK for running Minor in ICORE but for running Major in IPSC/USPSA they make for a less than comfortable shooting experience(for me).

Going to the rubber grips was the first stop to finding something better. I ended my search and finally decided on the Bianchi/PPC grips made by Nill. There were several variations, the Hogue Big Butt resembeled some of them but were not big or clunky looking - the Hogues always seemed to me to have too much material.

The grip position with the Nill grips is high, and is friendly to my weak hand reload. The hand sits a little further away from the gun and some think they get a little more muzzel flip then the Jerry's. Personally I haven't found that to be the case, besides, if I had to shoot the Jerry slicks again running Major I would choose not to shoot at all.

Give those big butts a try, you might like them a whole lot.

I used the Michelik's for 1 match, then reinstalled the original Monogrips.

They caused too much pain. I guess not enough meat around my thumb.

I will admit that they are a comfortable grip.

I will try a minor load with them at some time.

The stock grips were hard and uncomfortable. Plus, I didn't like the bite of the backstrap with major loads.

I found my Pachmayr grip [rubber monogrip] in a miscellaneous bin at a gun show for $5, and been using it for the past 6 years now on my Model 19, Mod 656 and now, Mod 686. It's got good cushioning of the backstrap and enough "stickiness" to provide a secure grip with wet weather and/or sweaty hands.

I would normally use the Hogue Wood Big Butt. However I just modified the one from my 38 special to fit my 38 super l frame round butt. So I have a plastic grip with finger groove. I also get my silly putty out and add a ridge on the back of the grip for my weak hand to press against for added stability.

I use Eagle grips. You have to shave the grip on the left panel towards the top where the base of your thumb rides, and even then I still tape my thumb to prevent too much pain from not having built up a callous there (not enough USPSA shooting as of late). But the grips are pretty, smooth, and fill my hand well.

The first year I shot revolver exclusively I shot Federal AE factory 230 ball. :rolleyes: I just didn't have the time, or desire, to make my own at the time even though I was set up to make 'em. I used the Miculeks and definately felt it in my hands and went back to the Hogues while shooting factory ammo. Using my own loads I have gone back to the Mikulek grips and don't notice any pain at all.

Well I started with the Miculek grips but was having trouble getting to the latch with my small hands so I thinned the left ear of the grips to aid in getting to the latch. I held the gun wrong one time with 185pf loads and bruised the bone at the base of my thumb. I got a set of the X frame grips yesterday since they have some padding around the back to help until my thumb heals. I hate the finger groves so I ground them off. I ended up going through the front of the grips in one spot while grinding off the finger groves. I sure wish they would leave off the finger grooves since they don't seem to fit anyone's hands. Transitions and reloads will be slower with the rubber grip since I switch hand reload. I really want to go back to the Miculek's but I have to get my hand to heal up first. I have another set of Miculek's that I haven't thinned on the left ear that I will use after my hand heals. I didn't have any problems until I thinned down that left side ear.

I triad Jerry's grips and didn't like them. I have a huge paw and like some palm swell. Right now I use Hogue rubber grips on my IPSC gun. I have never shot a gun with the big butt grips on them but would like to try them.

The grip so far I like best but I am too cheap to pay full price for are Hogue wood grips with no finger grooves. I have a set on the gun that I use for steel challenge when I shoot steel.

I shoot almost exclusively minor loads, and use the Miculek grips on my M14 and M19. I need to fit the ones on my M19 better so that the backstrap is even with the grips.

I've shot my 681 with major loads (158s at ~1100 fps) using Spegel Boot Plus grips (think minimum dimension Ropers) and no problems. Using the same grips with my M22 and 184 PF loads hurt, due to the fact that the 681 is considerably heavier than the 22 and the .45 loads were hotter. Using 170 PF loads in a 5" 625 would probably be okay with them. I also use these grips on my M10 and M13.

I actually don't think it matters that much, each have strong & weak points. If the Mic's don't eat at you, then use whichever feels best. Neither will help with recoil or accuracy, the Mic's will handle a bit better but the Rubbers are easier on the hand (bet that will get a few comments :surprise: ).

I have short fingers on an average hand and have ripped the skin pretty deep at the thumb joint with the Miculeks.

It usually takes 100+ rounds to really start hurting. I toughed it out for 2 years, but the increase in practice for the Nats made up my mind for me.

The Hogues I use now are the Square Butt Conversions ground down a bit. I left a bit of the finger groove in and the flare at the butt. I've been happy with them for a while now. And Everything I have used gets thinned down on that left ear forward of the back curve.

I had to vote for the Miculek grips I bought when Mike C decided to get rid of them. I still use them but not on everything.

I also have a pair of Hogues that are checkered that are actually my favorite and if they were not so damned expensive, I would change out the others to this style. I really like the checkering. Grips are same design as the rubber.

As for thumb pain, I talked to Pat Hogue one year at the S&W Winter IDPA Match. He knew exactly what caused the bruising and showed where to relieve the grip for the Miculek and for my wood Hogues. No more pain that isn't there all the time.

I had to vote for the Miculek grips I bought when Mike C decided to get rid of them. I still use them but not on everything.

I also have a pair of Hogues that are checkered that are actually my favorite and if they were not so damned expensive, I would change out the others to this style. I really like the checkering. Grips are same design as the rubber.

As for thumb pain, I talked to Pat Hogue one year at the S&W Winter IDPA Match. He knew exactly what caused the bruising and showed where to relieve the grip for the Miculek and for my wood Hogues. No more pain that isn't there all the time.

Show me where when we get to the Nationals, Please!

I think that it's safe to say that sport shooters won't be able to influence the way Hogue makes their grips. I called Hogue customer service a little while ago and while I had them on the phone I asked if they made any rubber grips without finger grooves. I said kind of like Miculek grips but rubber. He said he had never heard of Miculek grips. I said they are smooth wood grips designed by Jerry Miculek. He said Jerry Miculek, never heard the name before. I said WOW that's strange, he is probably the best revolver shooter on the planet. He then said O yes, I think I have heard the name before. They need to get out more often. :D