Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just got my 9mm EGW U die

glock_556

I'm just not liking this thing so far. I keep getting stuck cases and I think it is stupid to have to use case lube on a straight-walled 9mm casing.

I'm going back to my Dillon carbide dies, hopefully EGW will give me a refund, if not, it's going to the classified section.

I don't know why I keep getting stuck cases. Also, this thing sizes HARD, I mean it feels like I'm gonna pull the press off the bench when sizing some of the cases.

I'm using this die on a Dillon 550B btw.

Just called and left EGW a message, hopefully they will make it right with me.

Re. setting the die - mine is set such that it contacts the shellplate reasonably firmly when the ram is raised and the shellplate is void of any cases. The resistance to sizing is enough to provide the barest sliver of clearance when in "production" mode. "Camming over" the press on a carbide insert can break it - DON'T set it like you would a steel die.

Re. the resistance - remember that the "U" die is doing some hard work, undersizing the cases - but particularly when trying to digest Glock'd 9mm cases. Lube is your friend, and will make the operation go a lot smoother without all the resistance. On my 650, trying to size them "dry," I would often get a bit of a "pop" when the sized case was retracted from the die, spilling powder from the charged cases in stations 2 & 3.

I don't know why I keep getting stuck cases. Also, this thing sizes HARD, I mean it feels like I'm gonna pull the press off the bench when sizing some of the cases.

I'm using this die on a Dillon 550B btw.

Just called and left EGW a message, hopefully they will make it right with me.

I use them on 550 and a 1050.. nothing feels as hard as your describing. I use or skip the case lube.. I just use the 1-shot when I want to go a little faster. It smooths it out enough where I'm not looking if something went wrong on a station.

If you have a case gauge.. try just setting the die until the cases slip in/out easily.. maybe you're sizing too much?

And the popping that n2ispc describes, I think, normally is at the powder station.

...And the popping that n2ispc describes, I think, normally is at the powder station...

Typically, yes - but I was getting it with nothing in the shellplate but the case being run - dry - into the sizing die, with no case under the powder measure - which is when I went to lube.

I'm just not liking this thing so far. I keep getting stuck cases and I think it is stupid to have to use case lube on a straight-walled 9mm casing.

I'm going back to my Dillon carbide dies, hopefully EGW will give me a refund, if not, it's going to the classified section.

You don't have to use case lube. Just use Hornady One Shot case spray. You can leave it on the cases. Anyway you have to use Hornady One shot spray even if you switch back to the Dillon dies - its in the Dillon video - the one with Brian in it. Always use a case spray even with Carbide dies - its still required. I thin you should give the EGW die another shot. They know what they are doing.

There is a lot of 9mm brass that has been ruined by high pressure loads in oversize chambers.

Excesive force needed to resize, is a possible sign of trouble.

If using the U die results in a raised portion ahead of the extractor groove, the brass is not suitable for reloading.

It has been weakened, and attempting to swage it down by methods such as roll sizing will make it weaker.

9mm brass is cheap. Don't reload junk.

There is a lot of 9mm brass that has been ruined by high pressure loads in oversize chambers...

Wide45 flags up an excellent point. Also be alert to primers that seat with no apparent resistance - discard them!

Overpressure rounds (can you say Major 9? thought you could...) can give you problems with loose primer pockets, which can really spoil your match karma...not worth the couple of pennies lost on the primer... Seeing a lot more of these in "range brass" as more and more major-9 shooters leave their stuff on the ground...

My major 9 gun eats only U-die brass and will safely take 10+ loads. I threw the brass out at 12 loadings. I can't flatten a Federal Small Pistol Primer with it. Not even at 185 PF, edges stay round. I see much worse pressure signs in factory 9mm guns with factory 9mm loads. My point is that it pays to know where your 9mm brass comes from.

I wasn't having a problem sizing my brass with the Dillon dies. I just thought that this U die would be better for some range brass I have. I have loaded probably 3-4K of the range brass with the Dillon dies and have no problems and yes I'm using a case guage

I am yet to see the need for a "U" die. I had one briefly. Did not like the hour glass look it gave the brass. I have changed over to the standard Lee carbide sizer for all my pistol cases and never looked back.

I use the U die to get more case neck tension on the bullet.

Was having trouble with the O.A.L. pushing in with the standard dies.

I tried Dillon, RCBS, Lyman and none of them sized the neck of

the case to my liking. I like a little bottleneck when the bullet

is seated into the case. You know the OAL is not going to push-in.

But it does make the resize operation a little harder. One-shot

helps that.

Jeff

Am I the only one here who doesn't use some sort of case lube on straight walled cases?

It's defiatley not required with carbide dies, but with 1-shot, it runs slick as snot. I got the tip from another shooter at the club and have never looked back. I feed a few cases without at the end of a loading cycle to balance out primer count, etc. and notice a measureable difference in resizing effort. YMMV

Am I the only one here who doesn't use some sort of case lube on straight walled cases?

Probably,

If you read the instructions that came with your carbide die I thought they recommend using some lube, although not as mush as a steel die would require.

Also the 9mm is a tapered case.

Alan

I had problems with cases "sticking" when I started reloading 40s on my 1050. I too, am using a U die. I cycled a case by itself through each station and found that the sticking I was getting was at the powder measure station. Brass coming off of that station had scratch marks inside the mouth. So, I took the measure off and removed the funnel. I discovered that the funnel had brush marks on the edge of it where it contacted the case - it was not polished or smooth like other funnels I have for other calibers. Apparently, this was enough to cause a "stick" in cycling. I polished the funnel and the press works fine. I do not use any lube. Now, I do case-pro all of my brass before I reload it - 38 Super, 9mm and 40. I have gotten some 40 brass that when I resized with only the U die, looked like a belted magnum rifle case. The extra step just makes me worry less..

Note: Older Dillon powder funnels I have have all been polished smooth. This .40 and a new 9mm were not. They both had brush marks on them at the section that contacts the case. I polished the 9mm funnel before I used it.