Steel1212

steel1212

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It sounds like you're beating yourself at this point. Do you think slowing down a little would help?

I don't think its a speed issue more so of a make sure to call your shots right now. The Mikes I'm getting aren't because I'm pulling the trigger to fast for that second shot its the ones where I'm moving on to the next target before I get finished with the one I'm at. I guess its more of a I"m getting in a hurry which I kind of see differently as going to fast. Does that make since? :wacko:

Umm with today's performance....yeah...yeah I think I will....he had just better hope I didn't beat him on the HF with a 8 round gun even with the mikes :roflol:

Hey, now wait a sec. I'm only here for the "dishing it out." You have to post THAT stuff in MY range diary. :cheers: j/k

Corey, IMHO you looked like you shot well. I think at some level, if you register that you missed with your second shot after you've already moved, and it's too late for you to make it up, then your brain and body are a bit out of 'sync'. Slow it down a smidge and with your hits and movement, you'll be much happier. Doesn't have to be too much.

That's the a similar your followup shots after a misplaced shot went to the same place. You know you missed/hit the gong/hit a NS (whatever), (so you're obviously seeing it) but your makeup shots are getting off before you realign the sights on the true target. But the difference between your brain recognizing the miss and telling your body to correct is a matter of milliseconds, so it's not much.

Does that sound like it makes sense? But if I read this stuff right, if you CONSCIOUSLY try to work on it, it'll slow you down. Therefore it's a "between matchs" problem to solve, not a "during match."

Not that I'm much for advice...

I think at some level, if you register that you missed with your second shot after you've already moved, and it's too late for you to make it up, then your brain and body are a bit out of 'sync'.

It's no use ....... he's just a trigger happy drunken mouse ;)

I think at some level, if you register that you missed with your second shot after you've already moved, and it's too late for you to make it up, then your brain and body are a bit out of 'sync'.

It's no use ....... he's just a trigger happy drunken mouse ;)

Trigger happy...yes

Drunken....yes

Mouse.....well....I know where that comes from but I think Flex got dared to do it! :roflol:

Umm with today's performance....yeah...yeah I think I will....he had just better hope I didn't beat him on the HF with a 8 round gun even with the mikes :roflol:

Hey, now wait a sec. I'm only here for the "dishing it out." You have to post THAT stuff in MY range diary. :cheers: j/k

Corey, IMHO you looked like you shot well. I think at some level, if you register that you missed with your second shot after you've already moved, and it's too late for you to make it up, then your brain and body are a bit out of 'sync'. Slow it down a smidge and with your hits and movement, you'll be much happier. Doesn't have to be too much.

That's the a similar your followup shots after a misplaced shot went to the same place. You know you missed/hit the gong/hit a NS (whatever), (so you're obviously seeing it) but your makeup shots are getting off before you realign the sights on the true target. But the difference between your brain recognizing the miss and telling your body to correct is a matter of milliseconds, so it's not much.

Does that sound like it makes sense? But if I read this stuff right, if you CONSCIOUSLY try to work on it, it'll slow you down. Therefore it's a "between matchs" problem to solve, not a "during match."

Not that I'm much for advice...

what you say makes sense but I've pondered some things while working today.

With shooting single stack I only have a limited amount of ammo and I know I'll have to do a standing reload if I miss usually. So what ends up happening I have a not great sight picture, trigger shot, and end up accepting it and moving on. In limited I had the extra ammo where I could trigger an immediate 3rd shot to take care of it before moving to another position.

Going back to what Surge said, I do have a bad habit of "putting one in the white" and focosing on that HUGE hole in that target and putting one right next to it. Anybody have any drills to help with that or is that just something I'll have to work out on my own. Just don't do it stupid!

As for the gong, I think I was rushing on that one. I knew my gun hits low with my sights so I should have been aiming a touch high. When I missed they where all low and a touch right. Yeah, I was going to fast. Plus a good excuse for me to get an adjustable rear lol.

Edited by steel1212

Going back to what Surge said, I do have a bad habit of "putting one in the white" and focosing on that HUGE hole in that target and putting one right next to it. Anybody have any drills to help with that or is that just something I'll have to work out on my own. Just don't do it stupid!

Corey,

Snap your eyes to an exact target spot and ignore the no shoot. Maybe reread Flexs post about finding the exact target spot. The no shoot is there to distract you. Don't let it.

BK

Corey,

Snap your eyes to an exact target spot and ignore the no shoot. Maybe reread Flexs post about finding the exact target spot. The no shoot is there to distract you. Don't let it.

BK

That is exactly what I need to do. First I'll get my sights where they need to be though lol.

Did a little sight seeing today....Won Single Stack, but our club puts us all in a overall by stage with points as well so....

1st B.W. (limited) Master 407 points

2nd R. B. (Open) A (Junior....a very good junior) 400 points

3rd ME (Single Stack) A 395 points

4th M.F. (limited) M 356 points

5th C.B. (limited) GM 355 points

Some how I got stomped in the rifle hose fest though <_< Came in 3rd overall and 2nd in tactical. I shot the 30 shot stage in 8.6 with 128 points. 1st tactical did it faster and with more points lol. 2nd overall was shooting limited and did it a second faster with less points so it was very close with him.....and 1st :roflol:

My shotgun didn't suck. It was 9 seconds off the winner putting me 7th but I didn't have any make up shots, didn't bobble the reload just forgot a target I had to pick back up at the end....but I didn't have any make up shots!

Edited by steel1212

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I posted, hell its been awhile between matches!!

Shot the IDPA match on 11/15/2008 Shooting ESP

1 Shaun Hopkins ESP EX 78.43 30 13.93 10 14.45 4 9.61 3 7.55 2 15.00 6 17.89 5

1 Chris Marcum SSP SS 83.39 29 12.70 4 15.45 2 12.83 6 12.49 4 17.67 9 12.25 4

2 Corey Estill ESP EX 85.19 31 14.63 13 14.36 7 10.19 1 8.82 5 24.85 4 12.34 1

1 Brad Davidson SSP EX 85.63 30 13.44 5 13.88 1 14.14 5 8.17 1 19.66 9 16.34 9

This match was mine for the taking and I forgot a target on stage 5 costing me 9.85 seconds to shaun and I was at the 13 second mark before having to come back and get it :angry2: My points doen improved so I'm happy there and I know I would have won the match by probably 4-5 seconds if it wasn't for stage 5 but, thats the way it goes.

Shot my quarterly SS/PRO/REVO match on 11/30/2008 shooting a......REVO :surprise:

1 Estill, Corey A57351 U Revolver Major 405.8834 100.000%

2 Merryman, Dave FY50947 B Revolver Major 402.2252 99.099%

3 Cottrell, John L2588 B Revolver Major 360.6900 88.865%

4 Tryon, Tom A60566 U Revolver Major 172.0250 42.383%

Didn't suck :roflol: Its fun shooting something that feels like a Mark IV plasma transduced forced laser to get you to watch that front bump lol. I did have one mike on the 6 stages but it was on a swinger and right before the reload.

My match list so far. Might have to cut it down depending on money and vacation time.

March 28, IN SS/Prod

March 29, BGSL SS/PRO/REVO 5th sunday

April 10-11, Hillbilly classic

April 18-19, GA State Area 6

April 30-May 02 SSC

May 23-24, KY state 3 gun

May 31st, BGSL SS/PRO/REVO 5th sunday

June 12th, IN state championship

June 13-14, Pro-Am in Tulsa

Still the IN section to be decided on a date and probably will be the same as the PRO-AM se we'll hit that on the way. Then there is one more secret squirrel match probably.

Edited by steel1212

Corey-

You'd best open another slot. Miami Rifle and Pistol is hosting a sectional this year with ~9 stages. I just heard rumors yesterday - someone else may have better info.

I think it is springish. I know it isn't the same time as the KY 3gun 'cause I checked...but that one is going to hurt a bit $$ to get to, but I doing at least 2-3 3guns next year...

Corey-

You'd best open another slot. Miami Rifle and Pistol is hosting a sectional this year with ~9 stages. I just heard rumors yesterday - someone else may have better info.

I think it is springish. I know it isn't the same time as the KY 3gun 'cause I checked...but that one is going to hurt a bit $$ to get to, but I doing at least 2-3 3guns next year...

There is a memorial day weekend (I think that is the sept one) camping trip planned for sept hopefully OH will put something on that weekend as they have the past 2 years and we got to camp and shoot and had a hell of a good time! Either way a sectional an hour away is all ways a go to event! Hopefully it won't be springish as everybody is got a spring date already and I can't go to them all.

March 28, IN SS/Prod

April 30-May 02 SSC

June 5th-7th, IN state championship (Brother in-law's wedding the 6th so have to shoot it 5th or 7th)

October 9th-10th Battle in the Bluegrass SS/PRO match

Edited by steel1212

March 28, IN SS/Prod

April 30-May 02 SSC

June 5th-7th, IN state championship (Brother in-law's wedding the 6th so have to shoot it 5th or 7th)

August 30th BGSL SS/PRO/REVO 5th sunday

September 25-27 2009 Tennessee Sectional

October 9th-10th Battle in the Bluegrass SS/PRO match

November 29th BGSL SS/PRO/REVO 5th sunday

Edited by steel1212

Steel,

You forgot the MS state match in May. (I actually know several of the Masters that will be shooting SINGLE STACK there)

Hop

That is starting to push the limites of my travel. I want to go to Tulsa to see the range and shoot the PRO-AM and several buddies are going to that any way. After that I don't even know if I'll be able to make Area 6 or not. Much past a state away and things start to get complicated lol.