Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Reload - Limited Style

Jake Di Vita

VERY nice Jake.

Question: Do you shoot a Limited gun with that much bend in your arms? Is it your natural style or something that came from the dot gun and carried over? I ask because I get too 'locked out' with both Limited and Open guns, slows me down and there isn't a good reason to press the gun out as far as I do most of the time. My arms are nearly straight a lot of the time, close to elbows locked, works fine most of the time but so does a more compact presentation like you have in the vid that will also allow faster transitions.....

For a couple months, since I saw a picture of myself shooting this season, I have been wondering if I should try to work the gun in closer to my face.

Thanks bro.

Yeah, I've shot with this much bend in my arms for as long as I can remember. I'm sure it got more exaggerated the longer that I shot Open, but it transfers over to the Limited platform for me well. I think it does help me transition quicker, but it also feels like I have more control of the gun than I would with arms straight out. Feels like it makes me a little bit more adaptable to the recoil I guess would be a good way of putting it.

Thanks bro.

Yeah, I've shot with this much bend in my arms for as long as I can remember. I'm sure it got more exaggerated the longer that I shot Open, but it transfers over to the Limited platform for me well. I think it does help me transition quicker, but it also feels like I have more control of the gun than I would with arms straight out. Feels like it makes me a little bit more adaptable to the recoil I guess would be a good way of putting it.

Those are fast Jake :) What is the time on em?

Thanks Jake.

Damn man, you absolutely nailed what I have been 'feeling' for a while. Get the gun way out there and sure the shots can be precise but control isn't improved one bit, not even one tiny bit over having it a lot closer. Less rotational arm length and more rotational speed without additional torque needed to stop that rotational arm on a specific spot. Shorter is faster, as if everyone doesn't know that. Anyone that has ever twisted up a swingset as a kid should be having a major DUHHH moment right now.

Jim, those are .75-90ish reloads, shot to shot on a 7-10 yard target from my seat-of-the-pants meter. Don't punk him, he will pull out a 60-65 and let you know exactly where you are in the food chain LOL.

Thanks Jake.

Damn man, you absolutely nailed what I have been 'feeling' for a while. Get the gun way out there and sure the shots can be precise but control isn't improved one bit, not even one tiny bit over having it a lot closer. Less rotational arm length and more rotational speed without additional torque needed to stop that rotational arm on a specific spot. Shorter is faster, as if everyone doesn't know that. Anyone that has ever twisted up a swingset as a kid should be having a major DUHHH moment right now.

Jim, those are .75-90ish reloads, shot to shot on a 7-10 yard target from my seat-of-the-pants meter. Don't punk him, he will pull out a 60-65 and let you know exactly where you are in the food chain LOL.

I just wanted to know the time... don't read something in that's not there. :)

Jim, I was teasing.

Jake, those are just badddd assss reloads. I have gotten down around 8's but 6's are probably 2 or 3 orders of magnitude faster. Incredible really to me that a motion as complex can be done so fast.

JT,

I'm not 100% sure. If I had to guess, those are probably low .6's.

DP,

You're my hero man. Shake and Bake!!!

EZ,

Sorry, I don't have a higher quality video...that is the best quality I can get out of my camera. :(

I have a lot of work to do to get there... if that is physically possible for a man of my advanced years. :) Right now, that's a half second faster than my fastest reload. LOL

Edited by JThompson

Jesus, it looks even faster with a limited gun!

As for the arms bent, I don't feel there is enough recoil control behind the gun for it to work properly with it that far from unlocked. there just isn't enough force to the gun to make it feed fire and function reliably, slight amounts of fatigue or in attention to grip pressure and you have a gun malfunction similar to that caused by limp wristing.

Jesus, it looks even faster with a limited gun!

As for the arms bent, I don't feel there is enough recoil control behind the gun for it to work properly with it that far from unlocked. there just isn't enough force to the gun to make it feed fire and function reliably, slight amounts of fatigue or in attention to grip pressure and you have a gun malfunction similar to that caused by limp wristing.

It just shows his reloads....perhaps he has not yet pushed the pistol out...But you have to admit...unhumanly speedy reloads.. damn..

Now that I've had a little time, let me elaborate a bit further.

I don't think the problem ever was my arms...I think I was too relaxed as a whole behind the gun. Shooting Open made me lazy in my technique, it wasn't until I took a hard look at my whole shooting platform and shot something with some recoil that I actually realized it.