Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder choice for 308

elenius

I have almost everything I need to start reloading for my new M1A Scout now. I am going to use Hornady bulk 150gr FMJBT bullets (BC 0.398). The rifle has a CA legal muzzle brake.

I got Hornady's reloading manual, and they recommend IMR 4064 and Varget as "providing the best results throughout the range of bullets". My Lyman manual also mentions IMR 4895, N140 and Reloder 15.

What should I start with? I'd prefer to not have to experiment with different powders too much due to time and cost.

Any input on considerations like what meters well, burns clean, etc, would be appreciated.

Do they all work the muzzle brake equally well?

Another question is how to get a first approximation of velocity. The tables are for 22-24" barrels, whereas mine is 18". I think I read a rule of thumb of 50 fps less per inch shorter barrel. Is this reasonable?

I threw in a poll for good measure. Seems to draw people's attention :)

H4895

Lapua brass 41.7 H4895 with Federal Gold Match primers and 168 MKs. If this load won't shoot a .3 in your rifle..... You (your rifle) need help. B)

Is there a difference between H4895 and IMR4895?

Yes. I think the load data is very similar but the powder is from 2 different manufactures..?

Accurate 2520 "the Camp Perry powder” Least expensive and great for 308 and heavy bullet 223 loads.

Varget 223 for sure but seems to be finicky in 308.

Pick cheap as unless your M1A has been properly bedded and tuned .3" group are HIGHLY unlikely. (OK maybe at 25 yards) Doubly so with non match bullets.

Load lots, shoot lots and win matches with a 2 MOA gun and be happy!!!

Patrick

If it were an AR-15... RE-15, Varget, N140, TAC

If it were a bolt gun... Varget (1st choice) or RE-15, maybe IMR4895 for lighter bullets.

For an M1A... IMR4895 (surplus if you can get it anymore), AA2520, TAC (also cheap and meters like water)

Edited by milanuk

I have used a bunch of the 4895's (Hogden is the most uniform in my work) in 30 cal, and also like RL15.

Some folks think that Varget is the basically identical to RL15, but I got big velocity spread with it. In 223, Varget and CCI primers are frequently thought to go together well, but it sure did not like my Federal, Remington, and Winchester primers.

Billski

I have used a bunch of the 4895's (Hogden is the most uniform in my work) in 30 cal, and also like RL15.

Some folks think that Varget is the basically identical to RL15, but I got big velocity spread with it. In 223, Varget and CCI primers are frequently thought to go together well, but it sure did not like my Federal, Remington, and Winchester primers.

Billski

Ooh, I didn't realize primer choice was important.

So what "non-match" primers do y'all recommend? (Trying to keep it relatively inexpensive here).

Couldn't get it to work in my 700.

Huh. Well, that's weird! :blink: I've used it in .223, 6mm BR, 6.5-08, and .308 (about five .308's alone) and it works like a champ. Not saying there didn't end up being other things that worked *better*... but it worked pretty well across the board.

Ah, well. Some combos of barrel/brass/bullets just don't like it, I guess.

Good luck,

Monte

• 5 months later...
I have almost everything I need to start reloading for my new M1A Scout now. I am going to use Hornady bulk 150gr FMJBT bullets (BC 0.398). The rifle has a CA legal muzzle brake.

I got Hornady's reloading manual, and they recommend IMR 4064 and Varget as "providing the best results throughout the range of bullets". My Lyman manual also mentions IMR 4895, N140 and Reloder 15.

What should I start with? I'd prefer to not have to experiment with different powders too much due to time and cost.

Any input on considerations like what meters well, burns clean, etc, would be appreciated.

Do they all work the muzzle brake equally well?

Another question is how to get a first approximation of velocity. The tables are for 22-24" barrels, whereas mine is 18". I think I read a rule of thumb of 50 fps less per inch shorter barrel. Is this reasonable?

I threw in a poll for good measure. Seems to draw people's attention :)

I am wondering why no one has mentioned BLC(2)? I am currently using 47.6 gr with the same Hornady bullet, (R-P brass, Wolf LG rifle primers), in both my H&K SPG-1 and my IMBEL FAL and have no function or accuracy problems. I generally get .75" or under 10 shot groups at 200 yds, (the limit at my local range).

I use IMR3031, BLC2, H322 and Varget with 150gr or less in a bolt gun. V V N140, Varget and H4895 seem best in AR10, M14 and M1A. It all also goes well in a Benelli R1, all in 308Win. I use Fed Large Rifle MAtch for everything, (can't be bothered changing for hunting loads v's match). Mostly Winchester brass for hunting and Federal or Lapuas for Match.

3031 is not too flash when you get to 165-168gr, works better with 125-155gr. Varget and V V N140 more useful across the range of bullets.

Best accuracy in a M1A National Match Loaded was achieved with 168gr Sierra, Lapua Cases, Fed GM210M and V V N140.

Varget and H4895 come out of the same factory in Australia, burn rate slightly more than 3% or 5% different.

A few guys here are trying out Benchmark, (which is awesome with 69gr in 223, 23.5gr gives me .2 - .3 in my Rock River AR), have not heard anything spectacular or nasty about it, so I assume it works OK.

I'm new to rifle loading. I decided to load my hunting rounds for my mod 700. I've only loaded one powder (RL15) and am pleased to see what others are shooting. I have no complaints with RL15, with either accuracy or cleanliness, but am always looking for improvement.

Thanks

dj

Couldn't get it to work in my 700.

Huh. Well, that's weird! :blink: I've used it in .223, 6mm BR, 6.5-08, and .308 (about five .308's alone) and it works like a champ. Not saying there didn't end up being other things that worked *better*... but it worked pretty well across the board.

Ah, well. Some combos of barrel/brass/bullets just don't like it, I guess.

Good luck,

Monte

Monte:

Varget wouldn't with LC Match, Federal or Norma brass. FWIW I couldn't get any powder to work with Lapua brass, it looked like I had a cylinder bore choke on the rifle.

I had 8lbs of H4895 that was 20 years old that was primo, but alas, it's gone now.