Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Equipment Recommendations

Shooter Grrl

Blade Tech, Glock, Bianchi, Uncle Mikes, and MG Enterprises in some bizarre combinations deserving of a Failure To Do Fashion Right penalty.

The Blade Tech feels the best for me, used to shooting USPSA with Safarilands. More out there and low cut. Glock is the worst the way it hugs the body.

I use the Uncle Mike's double mag (no numbers that I know of). I perfer a double for exactly the reason David says not to use them...they are closer together. I don't like the second mag farther behind that I need a second muscle memory. I started shooting the Glock single mag. I agree with Eric the Glock pouches are awful. The distance between was what I hated most about those; they also grip the mags very tightly. The uncle mike's are not cut as low as some models but the price is very right. Also be sure and loctite the screws as they have a tendency to back out and fall out.

I use Comp-Tac mag carriers for all my guns - double pouches for competition, single for carry. On the Comp-Tac double holders you can set the tension individually for each pouch. This is important in IDPA when having the rear mag fall out during a reload (unnoticed) can get you a procedural for leaving ammo behind. It happened to me one too many times with Blade-Tech pouches which is why I switched to Comp-Tac. Also now with experience with both shops, the customer service from Comp-Tac is better. I also like the Comp-Tac holster line. The "Tactical Locking Paddle" is good for competition, and the regular paddle is good for carry (the regular paddle holds the gun closer to the body).

I use the Blade-Tech double mag pouch. It's what I carry every day. The problem with any single pouch, I find, is that if I wear it in front of the offside belt loop it gets pushed forward by the car seat while driving. Every time I get out of the car I have to push the mag pouch back into place. It's a pain. Put a single pouch behind the belt loop, it doesn't move but it's too far around behind my body to smoothly access. The Blade-Tech double pouch has two loops on the back, with a slot between. This allows me to straddle the belt loop which ensures the pouch can't be pushed back. The first mag is far enough forward to get to easily. It works for me.

• 3 weeks later...

You might give Buy Brown holsters a try. Dave Brown builds a paddle style mag pouch from kydex that not only looks sharp and works great but is fast as well. I believe his double mag pouch is about $40. I used to be very anti-kydex but his holsters work so well I had to change my opinion. His web page is: www.buybrownholsters.com

And they're avaiable in all sorts of cool colors as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I rather like the Sidearmor individual mag carriers for my 1911 mags. Easily adjusted, adjustable ride, light and while quite flat and easy to conceal, they allow a good index on the mag.

On the other hand, the Sidearmor straight drop holster for my GM has not been a happy experience for me...

For my glock I have a fobus double mag holder that works quite well. They are under 20 bucks which is nice if you are on a low budget. For my single stack I use Kramer single mag pouches. They were a little pricey but I got a hell of a deal on them at a gunshow. One of them was only $25 and came with a good wilson mag and the other was thirty new. To speed the draw on the Kramers( they are made of good leather and are very tight) I put mags in a plastic bag inserted them into the mag holders and let them sit over night. They are very smooth now but still have excelent retention.

just my 2 cents.

Does anyone make a NON-paddle magazine carrier with adjustable angle (other than Safariland)?

I know the Side Armor will go either vertical or horizontal, but I want something I can cant forward just a little.