Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Traveling with guns: a POSITIVE experience with TSA

Last week I was flying from Minnesota to Montana with my DPMS AR-15 and STI in a long case. As usual I got to the airport early giving myself extra time to get through security. When I walked up to the check in counter the guy saw my long case, smiled, and flicked me a orange declaration card in the same manner that a blackjack dealer distributes cards. After I filled it out, he picked up my case, paused, and set it down. I offered to carry it for him and he gladly accepted. "Just too darn heavy?", I asked. He smiled and nodded.

At the TSA check station the screener opened my case and paused. A janitorial worker nearby stopped cleaning and came over and gawked at my guns as well. The screener then said, "A see a lot of beautiful guns in my job and yours are no exception!" He wished me a nice flight and that was it.

I'm sure I'll have my typical hassles with TSA again soon, but this experiece was a nice change of pace.

One thing I can say about the recent switch to all-TSA-all-the-time that our airport has switched to for gun inspections is they know their stuff and sometimes appreciate and want to chat about what those funky pistols are for..

My trip to the Open Nats had two of those sorts of experiences - in both cases, the TSA hand searched the bag w/ the gun in it, and in both cases the agents were polite and competent.

I bet the janitor was trying to figure out a way to jack them......

Shame on you :devil::lol:

I had an interesting experience coming back from Spokane a week ago. I had my 'glock in the box' inside my hard locking suitcase when I checked in, declared the gun as usual, filled out the orange card. The ticket agent contacts TSA and two women came over, one obviously in training. They took everything, and I mean everything, piece by piece out of my suitcase and went through it. I have been flying with guns almost weekly for the past 3 years and this is the first time that my stuff has been inspected this way. They were polite and so was I but I was very glad that I had gotten to the airport with plenty of time to spare. :blush:

I flew to the 3-gun Nationals at Vegas in '05. Flew out of Mnpls/St.Paul Airport. The TSA guys looked at the three guns in the case, then told me "we need more guys like you flying with us". I thought that was kind of cool. Good bunch of people.

Then flew back out of Vegas - no problems with the weapons, just the canceled flight and the 6 hr. wait for the next one. Bought a motorhome and decided from then on that my vacations would be spent on my time, not relying on anyone else to make sure things went as smooth as possible.

Recently flew Cleveland to/from Vegas. On both ends, when I requested a declaration tag, the ticket agent asked "will you be carrying it with you on board?" (oh, please, can I, can I, huh?). I don't carry LE creds, so the gun had to go as cargo.

MUCH better experience than last time - September 11, 2006 (OK, my fault for booking a return flight on THAT day). ALL of my luggage was ransacked not just the bag with the gun in it -- everything obviously dumped out, roughed up, then stuffed back in the bag randomly.

I was anticipating the same this time and was very pleasantly surprised when the ticket counter and TSA processed everything with a minimum of fuss.

However, it was a little odd to be asked to take the gun out of the case and show clear while standing in front of the ticket counter (not in some private place behind it). Everybody else in proximity then knew that I was packing!

it was a little odd to be asked to take the gun out of the case and show clear while standing in front of the ticket counter (not in some private place behind it). Everybody else in proximity then knew that I was packing!

Had to do that in Boston this past weekend.

It happens. I offer them the option. They take me up on it about half the time, the other half they cringe like the case has a live snake in it and might bite somebody if I open it. :rolleyes:

I've never had a real problem with TSA. In fact coming back from 03 FGN's they asked me to point out the two S_I's on the screener because they were having trouble seeing them. They were right there, but LDC guns look funny in xray.

it was a little odd to be asked to take the gun out of the case and show clear while standing in front of the ticket counter (not in some private place behind it). Everybody else in proximity then knew that I was packing!

Had to do that in Boston this past weekend.

It happens. I offer them the option. They take me up on it about half the time, the other half they cringe like the case has a live snake in it and might bite somebody if I open it. :rolleyes:

I've never had a real problem with TSA. In fact coming back from 03 FGN's they asked me to point out the two S_I's on the screener because they were having trouble seeing them. They were right there, but LDC guns look funny in xray.

I usually take the slide off the frame before I get to the airport. That seems to help alot.

On another note, generally, unless you are federal level, law enforcement officers cannot choose whether or not they want to take their gun onto the plane. It is allowed when transporting a prisoner and other situations, with lots of paperwork.

Itchy

Since I'm the one who started this thread on a positive note, it figures I'd end it this way...

I just got back from the Golden Bullet in CA, and a trip up to Portland. Upon getting my bag off of the plane I discovered that the combo lock on my gun case was missing. Oh well.......at least it wasn't my gun missing and my lock still there.

Since I'm the one who started this thread on a positive note, it figures I'd end it this way...

I just got back from the Golden Bullet in CA, and a trip up to Portland. Upon getting my bag off of the plane I discovered that the combo lock on my gun case was missing. Oh well.......at least it wasn't my gun missing and my lock still there.

Being scared of losing a gun is another reason I'm glad that I'm federal and can carry on a plane. They love it when 5 or 6 of us are traveling together.

DougC and I were on our way out to the Steel Challenge a few years ago, flying out of KC--when we asked for firearms declarations tags, we were handed the paperwork to carry on the plane. (Doug's an LEO, and I'm clean-cut enough to pass for one.)

My second best airport gun story (I'll save the best story for another day) happened a couple years ago--flying out of Des Moines to the Florida Open, I had my 625 and 25-2 in checked luggage, and declared them at the counter. When a middle-aged female gate agent asked me to open up my suitcase, at first I thought I might have a minor hassle. But then she pointed to the 25-2 and said, "Beautiful revolvers...everybody these days likes stainless guns, but me, I love the looks of those nice old blued Smith & Wessons like that one."

I smiled all the way to the gate. Only in Iowa.

I would realey like to shoot the 3 gun nationas, but flying from Philadelphia through

Chicago to get to Tulsa, I am not sure it amy of my gear would make it there.

Any input on this ?

Gene

Gene, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

I've flown in/out/through both PHL and ORD with guns, with no problems at all.

I think people worry way too much about flying with their gear. After you do it a few times, it becomes pretty routine.

My biggest concerns are always (1) whether my big hard-sided suitcase will weigh more than 50# and they make me pay the extra $25, and (2) whether they are going to find the extra ammo (beyond the allowed 11 pounds) that I've stashed away in there somewhere. :)