Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should Minor Scoring "B" hits count as 4 points?

996fan2007

How would you feel about allowing minor "B" hits to score 3 instead of 2?

Discuss.

Ummm----Minor scoring B hits DO count 3 points. Appendix B3.

The only hit that counts 2 points is a Major D.

I reckon any head shot should be scored as a miss unless a head shot was specifically called for in the COF.

al

Jeez, :mellow: you sound like an IDPA shooter, I can almost here the rule book being wrapped around a bat. ;) Just kidding, don't get riled. :cheers:

But you're right, when walking a course with the RO after shooting it, if I see a "B" I didn't call I know I got away with one there. :unsure:

I'd leave the point difference between an A and B upper shot and reward the increased accuracy it takes to hit that A box when it's your only shot.

Yup, I think that's covered somewhere in "DVC", isn't it? <_<

I voted for B scoring 4 in minor. About the only reason anyone deliberately takes head shots is when that is all that is available. I recently shot a match with 20 yd head shot only targets. Anyone who says that they hit the A zone on that target out of skill is full of it. On a target like that you shoot for the upper A/B zone and put the shots on. Anything that lands in that tiny A zone box is more luck than skill. I don't think that a match should be decided because one shooter got luckier than another. How about the stage at Nationals with only head targets. 30 rounds of head only? That stage would be really rough at a match with Production.

I think it would give a lot of people "free points"

A lot of people shooting on the edge of control that I see have one on the body and one in the head often. That's kind of reverse rewarding?

I understand the logic of rewarding a harder and "more lethal" (sorry) skill but I like our current system just fine

Instead of changing the point values, how about putting major PF back where it belongs at 175.

After all there was not really a good reason to change it.

Mike

I've wondered about this as well. Standard .45 load was 230 grain at about 850 fps so major should be about 195. How did it get to be wimpy at 175 and why was it reduced further to 165?

We drift....B hits should be 4 for major (whatever that is) and 3 for minor. If hitting the upper A is luck you need more practice. :cheers:

Instead of changing the point values, how about putting major PF back where it belongs at 175.

Mike

I've wondered about this as well. Standard .45 load was 230 grain at about 850 fps so major should be about 195. How did it get to be wimpy at 175 and why was it reduced further to 165?

We drift....B hits should be 4 for major (whatever that is) and 3 for minor. If hitting the upper A is luck you need more practice. :cheers:

Well it was a drift, so to the point, no changes to the point values should be made. (without other considerations or other options to address specific scoring issues or perceived inequities)

Maybe the power factor was lowered to allow for temperature variances, if it was ever anything but 175. I really don't know, maybe some old timer will weigh in.

Mike

Mike

I've often wondered about the change from 175 to 165 and which organization initiated it (IPSC/USPSA). Could it have been requested because 40 Glocks were coming apart using reloads? This scoring problem is not a problem using Classic targets so I would say it is a USPSA problem. I am not sure the vintage of the w(h)ine but it is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth. If you don't like the score of B hits then shoot A's. As for the headshots at the Open/L10 Nationals they were only about 10/15 feet so the advantage was to the shooter who know what the parallex would be and compensated for it.

Fingers faster than the mind.

Edited by LPatterson

USA proposed the motion to lower the PF to 160 at the General Assembly in Cebu (1999). There were several reasons for lowering it but I don't recall anyone mentioning Glocks at any time during that discussions.

The various reasons that I recall being mentioned.

1. Damage to steel targets

2. Too loud for RO's

3. Concerns about getting factory ammo at that PF (because of airline restrictions on ammo).