Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Windows Vista "Home Edition"

I'm finally considering buying a new desktop (...shudder...). All Costco has is Vista Home Edition PCs. I absolutely, positive, do NOT want to build a PC. I don't care how fun you think it is. ;) I want to get the bloody thing at Costco and drop back in their lap if it doesn't work.

All my software runs well on XP Pro: AutoCad R14, WordPerfect 11, Photoshop 7, Avast, etc.

I have no interest in upgrading software. It does exactly what I need now and I don't want to learn anything new.

Will it run on Vista? Can I download service packs for Vista, like we could back on NT4? I am on dialup for the foreseeable future and have to take the laptop to the cafe in order to download large files.

Thanks in advance!

E

Edited by EricW

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm finally considering buying a new desktop (...shudder...). All Costco has is Vista Home Edition PCs. I absolutely, positive, do NOT want to build a PC. I don't care how fun you think it is. ;) I want to get the bloody thing at Costco and drop back in their lap if it doesn't work.

All my software runs well on XP Pro: AutoCad R14, WordPerfect 11, Photoshop 7, Avast, etc.

I have no interest in upgrading software. It does exactly what I need now and I don't want to learn anything new.

Will it run on Vista? Can I download service packs for Vista, like we could back on NT4? I am on dialup for the foreseeable future and have to take the laptop to the cafe in order to download large files.

Thanks in advance!

E

Vista has no service packs as yet (wait a few months), but Microsoft releases patches every month, and some of them are needed to keep Vista safe. At some point, Microsoft rolls all the little patches and other goo up into a Service Pack and dumps that on the world.

From your app list, I'd be real surprised if they all are Vista compatible. Actually I'd bet more than half will need patching or upgrading to be Vista compatible. I just got through downgrading a laptop from Vista to XP so it would be happy with Solidworks and some CAM apps. Not a lot of fun to be had downgrading the OS either.

Vista has some good features, but extreme backwards-compatibility isn't one of them. Oh yeah, if you do think about a Vista PC, don't even think about getting less than 1GB of RAM.

Beware of Office 07 as it removes English as an option for your Outlook or O. Express email spellcheck. I noticed that only French was available and checked the Microsoft web page and sure enough it is a noted problem. The recommended fix....... 3rd party software! Thanks for nothing Microcrap.

I hate the damed things but I seem to need one.

Patrick

Eric, buy a MacBook, or MacBook Pro and send it to me for a few days. I'll send it back to ya' as a dual boot machine running XP Pro. Screw worrying about whether Vista will have issues, stay in XP, it's finally robust and doesn't take much system overhead compared to Vista's bloated carcass ;)

You can get full warranty refurb Macs at this link:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...pecialdeals/mac

Now that Apple has released BootCamp 1.2 (& 1.3), the MacBook models can be made dual boot also.

Refurb MacBook's are availale for $999 at the link above.

Otherwise, I hear ya' about trying to find a new machine in a store running XP Pro nowadays. You could just have Dell build ya' one up with XP Pro as they still do that.

BTW, I am now the proud owner of a matched pair of MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core-Duo 17" notebooks with 160GB 7200RPM SATA drives, 256MB VRAM and 2GB SDRAM. These are my new rental machines and they are flyin' out the door since I announced that I have a pair of them available (might have to buy 2 more!). They both dual boot in OSX & XP Pro and they are simply the fastest, most reliable PC I have ever had my hands on :-)

The OS is reliable. The Dell laptop it's running on is on it's last legs. The motherboard suffers from cold solder joints and I am having to tear it down and resolder broken connectors periodically and frankly am just sick of it.

Can I still buy a copy of XP? I'm pretty sure that the copy of XP that came with my Dell won't load on anything else.

As for Dell again...no way, no how. Absolutely, positively not. Unthinkable after what I've been through with this laptop.

I may look at the Mac book. The only reason I didn't stay with Apple was PC hardware connectivity. I *have* to be able to directly access serial ports occasionally. I tried the PC emulation software and it wasn't ready for primetime. Dual boot may be a better option.

Edited by EricW

I'm kinda in the same boat. In need of a new desktop but I'm running software that will not work with Vista.

At Best Buy, you can still order machines with XP Pro from the business department. Prices not much higher (several desktops loaded for less than $600) and available for delivery within a week. Per the salesman, Microcrap will not allow XP Pro machines on the shelves, but they are still in demand. Go to Bestbuy.com to see what they offer.

Bill

Bought my wife a new Toshiba with Vista.

overall, it's been a bitch.

Issues with printing through my LAN to my XP machine, won't talk to her palm pilot and TONS of crapware.

I had to buy more RAM to get it to run well.

I'm REAL close to buying XP from newegg.com and dumping Vista.

PS - Vista renewed my interest in LINUX, which I'm running 90% of the time. (but my wife has no interest in it.)

Edited by Derek45

How's the hardware access on the Macbooks when running XP? Can I get to it all, or are there "forbidden" zones like with the PC emulators?

OK, only actual limitation in hardware compared to any modern dedicated PC is the lack of a right-clicking trackpad. A software hack exists to restore this, or use a USB mouse.

Compared to older PC hardware they do lack a 9 pin serial port if you need RS-232/422 and a parallel port is not supported. Then again, these haven't been available on notebook PC hardware for a few years anyway.

A MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz Core-Duo comes with 2GB of 667Mhz SDRAM and an NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT video card with 256MB VRAM and Dual-Link DVI out.

You get a 5400rpm 100GB SATA HD standard and can go up to 200GB 5400rpm, or 160GB 7200rpm.

These are real powerful machines.

The MacBook's are not much wimpier, just plastic and not as big on some internals.

Thanks in advance!

E

CDW still had plenty of new Desktops and Notebooks with XP Pro the last time I looked.

FM

Edited by Front Man

This is all my opinion, but I'm IT at major University.

If you need a new machine, stay away from Dell, try HP, buy a 3 year warranty on whatever brand you buy.

If you have old programs or old hardware like printers and scanners go with XP Pro, Everybody will still sell it to ya.

If you want to buy everything new, programs and hardware, Vista is good, but has a fairly high learning curve for the average user.

If you have to have serial port support (like I do) for your laptop you might try a USB to Serial adapter cable. I have one, I forget the brand, that I use in conjunction with the console ports on Cisco and Juniper routers and it seems to work just fine. I have not tried it with a MAC running XP so your millage may vary.

The Keyspan USB to Serial adapters are the heat and they work fine with real PC's and Intel Mac's running dual boot with BootCamp.

I do RS-232/422 control of many different analog devices using control programs from way back in the 90's and all of it works just fine with USB to Serial adapters.

The hardest part is sorting out which USB port is which serial port and even that is a breeze :-)

Pretty much any laptop from anybody, Apple to Dell to HP are all actually manufactured by one of about four companies in China and Taiwan, and the consumer brands are very much "Hey Compal/Quanta/Foxconn/Wistron, what you got I can sell next quarter?' Desktop motherboards likewise, but the number of board-stuffers rises to maybe a few dozen.

I just got a Dell laptop with a real serial port for a guy that programs CNC machines, so they're still out there, but you have to look in the corporate line instead of the consumer lines, and they probably won't be there much longer. Probably HP and co still have a few in the lineup as well, though I've not looked. The good USB converters work pretty well, so there's really not much need.

The biggest pain with Vista for me (beyond drivers and old software) is Microsoft's idea to "differentiate" the OS by making a raft of different versions by deleting features from the OS-- "oh, you need Small Business Premium Edition for that..."